WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : ESL tutoring without a degree

avery1pj
01-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi, I am wondering if there are any opportunities for a native English speaker from the US to tutor students without a degree?

djunamod
01-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Honestly, I haven't seen any so far but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I just haven't been looking for them, as I do have a degree. But I believe that there are countries that require English teachers from abroad to have degrees. These are government standards, so many language schools that are hiring online tutors or teachers but are located abroad can't hire non-degree people.

Djuna

avery1pj
01-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. I posted it more for my mom. I am already tutoring at Brainfuse and Elevate k12, and I thought it would be fun for her to work as a tutor, but she doesn't have an advanced degree. I figured maybe there was a company out there who just needed some native English speakers, or at least I was hoping :-)

avery1pj
01-17-2014, 09:04 PM
What about tutoring websites that use only chat, and not webcam or audio? I work for Brainfuse, and that is a nice feature with that company. Is there any other companies like that out there?

j107
01-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Hi! I am in the middle of interviewing for teaching Chinese students over skype. I do not have a degree for ESL but I have had experience teaching ESL to a few children while I worked at a daycare and as a nanny. There are two parts to the interview. The first part was to speak to someone (via Skype) who lives in China. Then if she feels you are qualified, you are invited back to teach a lesson to a student. You are then graded on a level of 1-5 with 5 being the highest and if you get a 3 or higher, you are then offered a job. I know this is a legit opportunity as my good friend lives in China and he referred me. I have my second interview later this week. Oh in my first interview, she said there are three types of students: People wanting to learn general English, Business English, or teaching children. She said there is always a syllabus to follow but for my next practice interview, the syllabus will only last a few minutes but I am supposed to talk with the student for 20-30 minutes. I do not know if in the real program, there is a more lengthy syllabus or not. Also she said you generally will not have the same student from week to week but there is a chance you might. Finally, it will be a little complicated with the time zone as they are 14 hours ahead of where I reside from. She said a lot of the college students tend to take their class in the evenings around 7-10 pm or so and the children of course during the day since they are in school. I didn't remember to ask if it will be easy to get students or not. She also said that though they are all Chinese students, some are traveling to Canada or the U.S. and realize they need to practice their English some more, so I am hoping I will be able to get some students more so on my time zone as well. Sorry this is lengthy but I wanted to let you know what I know so far. I am hoping I will pass my next interview and then can start working for them, at which time I could give you more info. The pay is once a month. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions and I would be happy to keep you updated if you wish.

avery1pj
04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Hey! Thanks for the reply J107. It has been a while. Did you get the job?

Scarhead
04-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi.. I have this new online application, sort of, which teaches english grammar the fun and easy way. There are 6 levels containing 50 lessons per level. So that makes a total of 300 english lessons. It's an audio-visual presentation that's really easy to learn. It's perfect for kids and adults alike. It takes about 2-5 minutes per lesson, so you won't get bored with lengthy explanations. It contains examples and quizzers to test whether the student understood the lesson or not. Learn english anytime, anywhere.. It's super affordable too.. You'll only pay $140 and get One-year access to the online account.

Send me a private message if you have questions. Thanks!