WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Start-up Questions

HomeBizHope
01-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi there all you brainy affiliate people!

I'm a mother of two who has been working in NWM for years, but not finding success, as I've been taught the "warm market" route, which doesn't work for my particular circle. :-(

Now I'm seriously looking into learning how to be an affiliate and teaching my teen and tween how to get something started NOW, so when they are older they’ll have some money coming in. (Plus, college is looming shortly, with no money to pay for it....)

My main questions relate to setting up something now – the domain (one thing I actually know how to get!), hosting, webpage, blog, etc. that won't break the bank but could possibly transition as it (hopefully) grew larger. I've heard of successful people who had to transition over to something new because their old platform just couldn't handle the traffic. (A positive problem to have, but I still want to avoid it if possible.)

What do you recommend in those areas if you were starting now and planned to make it a long-term growing business?

Also, my idea is to start out with a page (blog maybe? what do you think?) that focuses on animals (an interest of our family) and use amazon links, etc., then getting the word out in animal forums. I was just brain-storming with my kids this AM about what all types of products we could link to! How does this sound for starting up and what other ideas can you give me? I welcome any input!!

Sincerely,

Lori in NY

MariaThompson
01-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Lori,

This is a big subject and I cover it extensively in my own written work online.

Let me break things down for you, to give you a general idea.

Business Plans

Before choosing a domain, work on your business plan. In the case of animals, you want to specialize, because the field is too broad. Perhaps you'll promote cat products. Perhaps you'll go sub-niche and promote books about cat care.

Consider:

- Market Saturation
- Market Demand
- Gaps in the Market
- How best to Present Information (blog, landing page, squeeze page, etc).
- Determine best affiliate program (Amazon Associates is just one)

Then move on to domains.

Domains

Do your research. You have 2 choices: a keyword or a brandable domain name. I would suggest a keyword name: something that gets typed into Google with frequency (also known as an EMD: exact match domain).

Hosting

Shop around. Read forums for reviews - this is where you'll get the honest low-down. There are some very poor virtual hosting companies, and they can harm your business.

Selling Platform

You have many options. If this is a family interest, and you have plenty of hands to help, I would suggest a niche authority site. This basically amounts to being the best source of knowledge in a certain area. I make these and my authority sites comprise between 200 and 10,000-plus articles. Search engines and people love them.

You can, however, opt for a blog, or a basic landing or squeeze page. I have hundreds of landing pages that promote 1 to 3 products. They work exceptionally well.

Traffic

There are dozens of ways to get traffic. Here are a few:

- Video Marketing
- Forum Marketing
- Article Marketing and Syndication
- Social Networks
- Press Releases
- Media Buying.

There are dozens more.

Summary

This is a very brief summary of my suggestions for you. To be honest: the field is vast and it would take 200 pages of text, or more, to answer fully.

That will get you headed in the right direction though!

talfighel
01-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Lori,

If you are going to start your own business online and in network marketing, what you have to learn to do is to market online.

Even if you have to spend some money here and there to learn from others, I do recommend it.

There is ONE course, which I am NOT affiliated with, that has helped a lot of people do really well online and learn everything that they should about online marketing. The course is called HIGH TRAFFIC ACADEMY by Vic Strizheus.

Again, I am not an affiliate of his but did go through his training and it is VERY good.

If you follow him and learn from him, you will do very good online. Just put your ego on the side and follow his training.

sreece
01-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Hi Lori,

I agree with the writer above. You will waste a lot of time (ask me how I know) if you try to find out how to do affiliate marketing without going through some kind of training. However, that doesn't necessarily have to be expensive. But in the long run, finding a good program to follow will get you to profits much quicker and will waste much less time and money. If you're looking at niche marketing as an affiliate I know an excellent course you might want to look into. Send me a PM if you're interested in more info.

Hope you find good success!

HomeBizHope
01-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the advice so far! I have a narrowed down the niche market I want to target, have an idea for the domain and started looking at potential affiliate products. I will begin working on my business plan and affiliate marketing training next!

NOW, can you recommend some good/reliable web hosts? I know I need to own the website I'm using, as I believe Maria mentioned, to make sure I don't lose my pages by using a freebie host. I want a hosting package that is easy to use/program (I don't know HTML). I will need a search function for the multiple pages dedicated to the various categories on the site, and will use text and images.

I would prefer to utilize your experience with this instead of wasting precious time trying to figure this out myself, if you don't mind sharing your preferences!

Thanks so much!

Lori
;-)

MariaThompson
01-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Thank you for the advice so far! I have a narrowed down the niche market I want to target, have an idea for the domain and started looking at potential affiliate products. I will begin working on my business plan and affiliate marketing training next!

NOW, can you recommend some good/reliable web hosts? I know I need to own the website I'm using, as I believe Maria mentioned, to make sure I don't lose my pages by using a freebie host. I want a hosting package that is easy to use/program (I don't know HTML). I will need a search function for the multiple pages dedicated to the various categories on the site, and will use text and images.

I would prefer to utilize your experience with this instead of wasting precious time trying to figure this out myself, if you don't mind sharing your preferences!

Thanks so much!

Lori
;-)

Hi Lori,

You're so organized; I applaud you.

Suggesting hosts is a bit of a minefield on forums; opinions differ so much, and you can always guarantee someone has had a poor experience with them.

What you need is cheap, yet reliable virtual hosting, that comes with cPanel. The latter is standard among all hosts; the former not so much.

Take a look at Host Gator.

With a limited background in programming, I'd suggest you go for a Wordpress CMS (content management system). This is easily installed in cPanel. It involves little more than a few clicks and some text.

HomeBizHope
01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Google has now changed marketers' ability to search for niche markets and I can't narrow down my target (the one I was heading for has a huge competitor, so I really need to drill down deeper).

Any ideas for other places to find long-tail keywords to help get a better target market and find a tighter domain name?

Lori in NY
;-)

MariaThompson
01-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Google has? That's news to me.

Check out Ultimate Niche Finder. Best tool going for this.

sreece
01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Lori, I sent you a PM.

Sharon

daileywealth
01-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Looks like your question about hosting has been answered. I use Hostgator as well and really like it. If you want to review other hosting providers check out this page that gives a list of the top 10 Hosting Providers (http://www.top10bestwebsitehosting.com/index.php?kw=host%20providers&c=22715883348&t=search&p=&m=p&adpos=1t3&a=20&gclid=CO2m3K_WgLwCFexcMgodnEIAFg). :p

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1