WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Scrapbooking Newbie

Missleiii
01-03-2014, 04:27 AM
Aloha!

I'm going to celebrate my 5 year anniversary in a couple months with my boyfriend & I decided to give him a scrapbook as a present. I thought it would be cute to reflect on our relationship & build memories that we can look back on when we're old and gray:) Also it would be a lighter load in my wallet than something else.

But I've never done any sort of scrapbooking and am worried that my creativity might hit a wall. Any tips for this newbie on getting started with scrapbooking? Do I need to use a certain type of paper? Cheap places I can order photo prints from? Your favorite scrapbooking site? Anything would help :):):)

accents4you2
01-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Missleiii

Sounds like a fun project. I'm not sure what scrapbook stores you have in Hawaii, but there are a lot of on-line places to shop if you don't have any available. (If you need some websites, pm me)

You will want a scrapbook that has acid free paper, otherwise it will yellow over time. You will want plastic protectors that are PVC free, otherwise the photos will be damaged over time. You will also want your background paper, embellishments, adhesives, and stickers to be acid free/photo safe.

My suggestion is to keep the embellishments to a minimum, and let the photos be the star of each page. Layout a page, and play around with it, before you start adhering it to the page. There are a lot of page suggestions on-line too. Oh..something really important is to journal. I think handwritten journaling is really special. If you do that makes sure you buy scrapbook pens, regular pens/markers fade over time.

I hope this helps. :)
Have fun! Let us know if you have any questions and how it turns out..

Missleiii
01-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Thank you for your help ! :)

sue311
01-11-2014, 06:46 AM
You can also check out crafts stores around you. A lot here have classes and sometimes they will help you with your project if you buy the material from them...these are usually the "mom and pop" stores not the big retailers.

Good luck and let us know what he thought of it.

Craftarella
01-31-2014, 06:49 AM
This is a wonderful gift and a very worthwhile project; one that can be cherished for a long time! I made one for my husband (I had never done scrapbooking before!). The most helpful thing I found was taking a class at one of the craft stores. I saw enough in just one class to get me started, and then I was off and running!

I had so much fun in the process of making something heartfelt and, my husband appreciated it so much!

Watch out getting pulled into some of the more expensive scrapbooking items; it is easy to become mesmerized by all of the products out there, but it can get expensive if you don't control yourself :eek:

Good luck and enjoy!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1