WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Legalities

lorah
12-09-2013, 03:00 AM
I finally got my 2014 Photographers Market and it is amazing. There is so much great info in it. It says that you need a CPA, full charge bookkeeper, lawyers and more professionals to run a photography business. I guess when submitting to magazines and dealing with editors you might need all that, but does the regular photographer need all that? For those of you that have a photography business, do you use all these people?

TommyH
12-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I finally got my 2014 Photographers Market and it is amazing. There is so much great info in it. It says that you need a CPA, full charge bookkeeper, lawyers and more professionals to run a photography business. I guess when submitting to magazines and dealing with editors you might need all that, but does the regular photographer need all that? For those of you that have a photography business, do you use all these people?

Right now I am all by myself. My CPA said I would be ok for taxes by the way I was doing things and until I went to being incorporated then a CPA would be benefiicial. I do use quickbooks online for all my book keeping. I am thinking about a lawyer maybe next year so that we can come up with contracts for my on going customers, and to advise when some companies want to hire me and have a contract already drawn up.

I would also think it would depend on how big you are. Lawyer would be great for copyright infringement, keeping you out of trouble for copyright laws, helping draft contracts to protect you and your work, etc. CPA would be good as more money comes in to help you keep uncle sam off your back, but of course you always need to research you hire or consult with as they may cause you more problems.

lorah
12-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks Tommy, that's what I was thinking too. I'm just trying to think ahead. Do you have separate insurance for your gear or is it included in your homeowners?

TommyH
12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
I keep separate insurance as that is a business experience. And once the equipment leaves the home it's not covered normally by the home owners insurance. You car insurance might pick it up while traveling in the car but when you exit if you drop it in the sand or ocean that's on you.

I also keep general liability insurance as well.

Robin Bull
12-12-2013, 06:21 PM
There are many types of business entities. All of them have their own perks and their own draw backs. You can check your Secretary of State website for forms and prices to register as any particular type of entity, but make sure and do your homework to know the business formation you choose is right for you and what you want.

ndswam
01-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Right now I am all by myself. My CPA said I would be ok for taxes by the way I was doing things and until I went to being incorporated then a CPA would be benefiicial. I do use quickbooks online for all my book keeping. I am thinking about a lawyer maybe next year so that we can come up with contracts for my on going customers, and to advise when some companies want to hire me and have a contract already drawn up.

I would also think it would depend on how big you are. Lawyer would be great for copyright infringement, keeping you out of trouble for copyright laws, helping draft contracts to protect you and your work, etc. CPA would be good as more money comes in to help you keep uncle sam off your back, but of course you always need to research you hire or consult with as they may cause you more problems.

I agree - my husband's headhunting business is a Corporation so our photography business is a DBA under that. We do use a CPA but mainly because of our headhunting business. I do the bookkeeping in Quickbooks as well. We have very simple contracts which is something we need to update as we are starting to do more HS seniors that we don't know than ones that we do (family friends or friends of my daughters). Sales tax is the pain because our packages are lumped together (session fee and prints).

rbarrett68
02-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Thanks for bringing that up! I never really thought about it..:)

Rhonda

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1