WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : E-bay or Etsy?

techgeek887
11-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Do you guys have a shopping preference or certain characteristics of E-bay and Etsy? Which is the most reliable for buying and selling? Thanks! :)

lorah
11-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Personally I wouldn't go with either. For selling handmade, vintage or supplies I would recommend Zibbet. It's free to set up a shop there and there are no fees. They have the free and paid options. The website is Zibbet.com - Handmade Artisan Marketplace. Buy and Sell Handmade Products, Fine Art, Vintage and Supplies (http://www.zibbet.com) (not my personal link)

danasurvey
11-19-2013, 05:54 PM
If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Ebay because it reaches a larger audience.

gregdavidson
11-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Do you guys have a shopping preference or certain characteristics of E-bay and Etsy? Which is the most reliable for buying and selling? Thanks! :)

Ebay is obviously the most trustworthy. They protect their buyers so if you don't receive your order your can get your money back. You can also leave negative feedback which is another huge benefit that usually works in your favor.

Beachday
11-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Ebay is obviously the most trustworthy. They protect their buyers so if you don't receive your order your can get your money back. You can also leave negative feedback which is another huge benefit that usually works in your favor.

You can leave feedback on Etsy too. For handmade items as a seller, Etsy usually commands higher prices than Ebay. On Ebay you are competing with sellers overseas who are willing to sell things at ridiculously low prices. The quality isn't the same but a lot of people can't resist a bargain. There are higher standards on Etsy.

aalexander
11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
I sell on both.I've been with ebay over 7 years now.

I just started my etsy shop.Both have pro's and cons.

My handmade items did not do so well on ebay.So I use them to sell other things.

Etsy lets you list items higher.But I have not had a sale as of yet. It costs .20 for a 4 month listing,
and I believe it will be 3.5% of the sale price of the item.So I'm doing a test run and see how I like it. :-)

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Zibbet is good option. I am also trying to find out some buyers who can purchase our high quality menswear.

lorah
12-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Unfortunately, you can't sell 'menswear' on Zibbet unless it is handmade by you personally. They are very strict about not allowing resellers and do a great job of keeping them out.

tb550home
12-12-2013, 12:04 PM
I use ebay for selling. It reaches the largest pool of potential buyers for antiques and collectibles.

Angela in Oz
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
ebay fan here, etsy isn't really huge here in Australia, but ebay is massive. I use ebay for sourcing customers who I can then direct to my website :)

elizabethnml
12-13-2013, 01:33 AM
I have an etsy store as well as my own web site but wow, zibbet has no listing fees or commissions for the first 50 listings? Do you have the free basic store or the Premium? Looks like some of the premium features might be useful.

ravi
12-19-2013, 11:45 PM
I will chose ebay. I have good experience with eBay.

ada898
12-23-2013, 02:37 AM
I usually only buy their favorite things
:p

aalexander
12-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I still have my etsy store,but had not made a sale,so I took my stuff of there and put it back on ebay for now.
I'm getting a better response now,and people asking about custom orders. So I hope to get both up and running,plus maybe zibbet too. I'm not so great at advertising or promoting the stores,lol.

barbgain1
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
If you look at this from a "searchers" perspective, currently Google favors Etsy as many times Etsy listings are sitting in the top spots for many keywords. Personally, I have used both and hopefully will have the time to get my Etsy store up and running.

And by the way Thank You to Lorah for that info about Zibbet..have to take at look at that!

Barb

aalexander
12-26-2013, 04:03 PM
If you look at this from a "searchers" perspective, currently Google favors Etsy as many times Etsy listings are sitting in the top spots for many keywords. Personally, I have used both and hopefully will have the time to get my Etsy store up and running.

And by the way Thank You to Lorah for that info about Zibbet..have to take at look at that!

Barb

That's good to know. I need more things for my etsy shop right now. I also want to check into Zibbet.
How would you,or is there a way, possibly search for keywords that we could use in our etsy listings or title?
Thank you.
Anita

SeasonsintheHeart
01-04-2014, 04:27 PM
I love eBay and have sold on and off there for about 15 years. I agree the prices can be really competitive on eBay nowadays though, and everyone is really looking for a bargain when they go there. Auction prices just aren't what they used to be anymore. So, for homemade crafts I have decided to go with Etsy. I just recently opened a shop there, and its super easy to use and the fees are comparable to eBay. And it's mainly for handmade crafts and craft supplies, so it's pretty limited on what can be sold there. That really helps for those who make their own unique designs. :)

aalexander
01-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I love eBay and have sold on and off there for about 15 years. I agree the prices can be really competitive on eBay nowadays though, and everyone is really looking for a bargain when they go there. Auction prices just aren't what they used to be anymore. So, for homemade crafts I have decided to go with Etsy. I just recently opened a shop there, and its super easy to use and the fees are comparable to eBay. And it's mainly for handmade crafts and craft supplies, so it's pretty limited on what can be sold there. That really helps for those who make their own unique designs. :)

I also have an etsy shop. I love their prices to post,but how do you promote? I ended up pulling my
etsy things and putting them back on ebay so they'd sell.... I'm at a loss how to make this work correctly,lol :-/

SeasonsintheHeart
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
I also have an etsy shop. I love their prices to post,but how do you promote? I ended up pulling my
etsy things and putting them back on ebay so they'd sell.... I'm at a loss how to make this work correctly,lol :-/

I just opened my shop up right before Christmas, so I'm still very new to Etsy. I am still learning how to promote it too. Lucky for me, my son-in-law does SEO and says he can help me optimize my shop for more visitors. I will talk with him next week and share with you anything I learn. :)

aalexander
01-04-2014, 05:18 PM
I just opened my shop up right before Christmas, so I'm still very new to Etsy. I am still learning how to promote it too. Lucky for me, my son-in-law does SEO and says he can help me optimize my shop for more visitors. I will talk with him next week and share with you anything I learn. :)

Awesome!! :-)

SeasonsintheHeart
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Here's a couple of things I have learned so far:

Helpful hint #1: As far as Etsy keywords, be sure to use the same keywords in your item description as the keywords in your item title. In other words, make sure the first two lines of your item description have the same keywords used in your item title.

Helpful hint #2: Tags! Every item you list on Etsy has a place to put "tags". I've been told to always, always use all 13 tags they allow. Fill up that space with your keywords, and any other words you think people might use to search your item. And...use more than "one word" tags. Use two or three words, like instead of just "dog", use words like "cute dog frame". One word tags are ok, but use multiple word tags also.

Fill your item title up with those tags too! Don't be too "cutesy" with your title with a lot of filler words that aren't searched. Use searchable words and phrases in your title as well.

Keywords and tags are everything when it comes to being found on Etsy! I guess sales help too... we'll work on that next! :p

Hope this helps!

Michelle

cmkfarmer
01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
I like to shop etsy best but have bought and sold on both platforms. Like other said eBay does reach more people

Demon eyez Ann
01-28-2014, 06:20 PM
I have sold on both etsy and ebay. I sold ebay for like a year and didn't get many sale and close it download. So now I just open up a store on etsy like three months ago and I can say I like etsy so far.

Craftarella
01-31-2014, 09:54 AM
I have done both and have found ebay terrible for my handmade craft items. Etsy is much better for my craft items. Ebay is great for clothing, household items and such.
[IMG]http://www.wahm.com/forum/members/218743-craftarella-albums-n-craft-supply-picture5064-beautiful-satin-wire-edge-valentines-ribbon-1-5-wide-glitter-sparkle-hearts-%244-99-5-yds-https-www-etsy-com-listing-173180323-valentines-day-wired-satin-ribbon-red-ref%3Dshop_home_feat_2.jpg

lcooper09
02-02-2014, 02:24 PM
I like ebay also because of the traffic and sales.

lrz
02-03-2014, 03:06 AM
Here's a couple of things I have learned so far:

Helpful hint #1: As far as Etsy keywords, be sure to use the same keywords in your item description as the keywords in your item title. In other words, make sure the first two lines of your item description have the same keywords used in your item title.

Helpful hint #2: Tags! Every item you list on Etsy has a place to put "tags". I've been told to always, always use all 13 tags they allow. Fill up that space with your keywords, and any other words you think people might use to search your item. And...use more than "one word" tags. Use two or three words, like instead of just "dog", use words like "cute dog frame". One word tags are ok, but use multiple word tags also.

Fill your item title up with those tags too! Don't be too "cutesy" with your title with a lot of filler words that aren't searched. Use searchable words and phrases in your title as well.

Keywords and tags are everything when it comes to being found on Etsy! I guess sales help too... we'll work on that next! :p

Hope this helps!

Michelle

Keywords are also everything when it comes to selling on Ebay. You would be surprised at how much quicker you can sell an item by placing the correct keywords in the title!

SeasonsintheHeart
02-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Keywords are also everything when it comes to selling on Ebay. You would be surprised at how much quicker you can sell an item by placing the correct keywords in the title!

Yes, absolutely! :D

Pak Mail Fremont
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Personally I wouldn't go with either. For selling handmade, vintage or supplies I would recommend Zibbet. It's free to set up a shop there and there are no fees. They have the free and paid options. The website is Zibbet.com - Handmade Artisan Marketplace. Buy and Sell Handmade Products, Fine Art, Vintage and Supplies (http://www.zibbet.com) (not my personal link)

Interesting, what's your experience with this site?

Mrs. Scriblz
02-15-2014, 08:31 AM

Etsy is by far the best route to go if you are looking for artisan made, orginal gifts. Ebay for run of the mill commercial goods, pre-owned goods, cut-rate new goods.

magnoliascentsations
02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Ebay because it reaches a larger audience.

Ebay would be my choice, too-I do quite a bit of business with Ebay vs Etsy.

jewa
02-26-2014, 01:58 AM
I use Etsy for selling handmade,but poor sales.

vivianpos
04-03-2014, 01:47 PM
I would say both. I sell hand-made items on etsy and other items on eBay.

TheUnextreme
04-07-2014, 03:46 AM

Awesome! I have never heard of Zibbet before. I am learning so much from everyone!!:)

chubbyclouds
04-09-2014, 03:13 AM
ebay!.
but if you sell crafty items and give the option to customize orders, definitely etsy!. :))

amyr81
04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
I have unfortunately lost money on Etsy from people not coming through with my purchases and never got my money back. Ebay I think like others are saying is expensive but I do think that if you do your research on what sells along with the ins and outs there is still money to make on Ebay. Purchasing, I actually go with Amazon because there are a lot of small businesses on there and you can put your own little shop up to!

Iceni
04-19-2014, 04:29 PM
I have tried both in the past. Never got any sales from Etsy - too much competition from people in Eastern Europe who can afford to low-ball their prices for excellent workmanship. I found Etsy's search facility to be really quite terrible too. Not sure if that has improved over the past couple of years,

Ebay is again over saturated with sellers, but their search system is excellent. The problem with Ebay is that everyone wants something for nothing! They are all looking for a bargain and aren't prepared to pay retail price. When you can buy designer clothes for $20-$40, who wants no label?

chubbyclouds
04-21-2014, 01:21 AM
I have tried both in the past. Never got any sales from Etsy - too much competition from people in Eastern Europe who can afford to low-ball their prices for excellent workmanship. I found Etsy's search facility to be really quite terrible too. Not sure if that has improved over the past couple of years,

Ebay is again over saturated with sellers, but their search system is excellent. The problem with Ebay is that everyone wants something for nothing! They are all looking for a bargain and aren't prepared to pay retail price. When you can buy designer clothes for $20-$40, who wants no label?

I totally agree with you, eBay buyers nowadays are getting super demanding, they expect the items to be very cheap with free shipping that they don't realize that sellers pay fees too, and shipping is expensive.

calimama
04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
My husband and I have bought and sold on both.

He used to sell his original paintings on Ebay and did very well.

It was suggested to open an Etsy shop so he did. The paintings continued to sell, but he had to find a new following, as he already had a following on EBay.

In 2008 we started selling handmade jewelry on Etsy in our shop, HomeStudio. It's been our main source of income since then. There is definitely a science to tags, description, and pricing. Customer service is key to both venues.

We've been coaching people on how to sell on Etsy for the past year. If you have any questions, please let us know.

It's really cool to be a WAHM with a WAHM making 100% of our income online. We have a few other sources of income other than Etsy, but like I said, it's been our main source of income since 2008.

I'd love to help if you have questions. :o

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1