WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Curious? Etsy Anyone?

GeekzRus
11-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Lately I have seen a lot of stuff people are buying off Etsy and noticed you can sell on there also. Anyone have any experience with selling on Etsy, and if so what do you think of the site?

lorah
11-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Personally, I have sold on Etsy and I don't like it. The fees will bite you if you aren't careful and the admin are terrible. I have found a different place to sell that is free. They also have paid options but free works for me right now. It is Zibbet.com - Handmade Artisan Marketplace. Buy and Sell Handmade Products, Fine Art, Vintage and Supplies (http://www.zibbet.com) It doesn't get as much traffic as Etsy, yet, but I have seen hundreds come over from there in the short time I have had a shop there.

GeekzRus
11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up, will take a look at it :)

gregdavidson
11-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Lately I have seen a lot of stuff people are buying off Etsy and noticed you can sell on there also. Anyone have any experience with selling on Etsy, and if so what do you think of the site?

There are also lots of people who buy wholesale off of Etsy. They actually have their own wholesale section. Some of these products look like they would sell well at the local flea market. You might even be able to resell them on Ebay for a profit.

Welcome to Etsy Wholesale (http://www.etsy.com/wholesale)

aalexander
11-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I just opened my etsy shop recently.No sales yet,
it was only .20 a listing for 4 months and 3.5% of sales,when item sells.I didn't think that
was bad,compared to what I do on ebay.

I didn't know they had etsy 'wholesale'.I'm going to check that out too. :-)

lorah
11-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Etsy allows "resellers" which is a HUGE bone of contention with sellers there. Etsy said they were handmade, vintage and supplies and now every reseller from everywhere is there. Etsy is not what it used to be, unfortunately for the sellers there.

aalexander
11-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Etsy allows "resellers" which is a HUGE bone of contention with sellers there. Etsy said they were handmade, vintage and supplies and now every reseller from everywhere is there. Etsy is not what it used to be, unfortunately for the sellers there.

How are you doing on Zibbet? I checked your previous link,and am curious. :-)

lorah
11-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm not doing much right now, I am still working on filling my shop. Since I have the free option with no fees at all, I am allowed 50 items. That being said, there are many sellers there that are doing fantastic. I highly recommend it over Etsy. You have to promote anyway so why not promote a shop where you get to keep all your hard earned money?

aalexander
11-26-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not doing much right now, I am still working on filling my shop. Since I have the free option with no fees at all, I am allowed 50 items. That being said, there are many sellers there that are doing fantastic. I highly recommend it over Etsy. You have to promote anyway so why not promote a shop where you get to keep all your hard earned money?

Wow,your right.So...Nothing to list item or sell?
Do they use paypal?

lorah
11-26-2013, 03:27 PM
No fees whatsoever if you sign up for the basic account and yes you can use paypal. I really believe Zibbet is an up and coming place for all handmade. They will NOT allow resellers, and they delete shops that are reported. The admin of the site visit the forums, address concerns and you are free to talk about how you feel without getting muted like Etsy does. There have been several people who had their shops just shut down with no warning for speaking out in their forums. Etsy just isn't the place it used to be. They are out for the almighty buck and Zibbet is out for the artists

aalexander
11-26-2013, 05:07 PM
No fees whatsoever if you sign up for the basic account and yes you can use paypal. I really believe Zibbet is an up and coming place for all handmade. They will NOT allow resellers, and they delete shops that are reported. The admin of the site visit the forums, address concerns and you are free to talk about how you feel without getting muted like Etsy does. There have been several people who had their shops just shut down with no warning for speaking out in their forums. Etsy just isn't the place it used to be. They are out for the almighty buck and Zibbet is out for the artists

Ok,I only have 3 things in etsy so far.I think I'll look at Zibbet since it's free.
How do you promote your store? or do you have a preference??

lorah
11-26-2013, 10:02 PM
I really don't have a preference, but when I get my store filled or at least started, I will add a link to my signature on all my forums, email etc. I will post ads anywhere I can find that will allow me to add them for free. There are also groups you can join on Zibbet in the community section where everyone promotes each others stores. I think you will really like the family feel of Zibbet. I just love it there! And I do have experience with both so it's not like I am just bashing Etsy blindly. :)

aalexander
11-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I really don't have a preference, but when I get my store filled or at least started, I will add a link to my signature on all my forums, email etc. I will post ads anywhere I can find that will allow me to add them for free. There are also groups you can join on Zibbet in the community section where everyone promotes each others stores. I think you will really like the family feel of Zibbet. I just love it there! And I do have experience with both so it's not like I am just bashing Etsy blindly. :)

I'm going to give it a try! :-)

lorah
11-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Good for you! Even if you decide to 'keep' your Etsy store (and there are some that have a shop both places) it is still another good 'egg' to have. That being said, I would still prefer to promote Zibbet over Etsy. LOL

aalexander
11-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Good for you! Even if you decide to 'keep' your Etsy store (and there are some that have a shop both places) it is still another good 'egg' to have. That being said, I would still prefer to promote Zibbet over Etsy. LOL

I totally see your point and have already told some friends about it.They plan to use me as a guinee pig.
LoL

lorah
11-26-2013, 10:24 PM
LOL, well that's awesome! I would also promote on Twitter, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Different handmade forums. I'm not on FB and just refuse to go that way but people have been successful there as well with promoting. Let me know when you get set up so I can go friend you and check out your shop!

aalexander
11-26-2013, 10:26 PM
LOL, well that's awesome! I would also promote on Twitter, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Different handmade forums. I'm not on FB and just refuse to go that way but people have been successful there as well with promoting. Let me know when you get set up so I can go friend you and check out your shop!

Ok I sure will.I am currently on facebook,and twitter,but not the others yet.

lorah
11-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Sounds great! Wishing you wild success!

aalexander
11-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Sounds great! Wishing you wild success!

Thankyou so much! And same to you! :-)

IntegrityPays
11-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience and the differences that you have seen with the two sites.

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the help. Its useful.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1