WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

valcreates
11-11-2013, 09:36 AM
I do okay as an artist but want to take my work at home business to the next level
how do I get more views and more affiliates

my art is two styles abstract modern and cute I sell mugs, cards, bags, canvas prints, jewelry
Abundancelovetrip | Zazzle.com Store (http://www.zazzle.com/abundancelovetrip)

My business is affiliate driven but I lose some affiliates when squidoo made us jump through hoops to keep our articles
my article promoting my art had a huge amount of comments and was a huge boost in views and sales.

How can I get more new affiliates, to blog facebook my art.
Pinterest strips codes as does twitter while they are great for promoting my art not so good for referrals.

MariaThompson
11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I do okay as an artist but want to take my work at home business to the next level
how do I get more views and more affiliates

my art is two styles abstract modern and cute I sell mugs, cards, bags, canvas prints, jewelry
Abundancelovetrip | Zazzle.com Store (http://www.zazzle.com/abundancelovetrip)

My business is affiliate driven but I lose some affiliates when squidoo made us jump through hoops to keep our articles
my article promoting my art had a huge amount of comments and was a huge boost in views and sales.

How can I get more new affiliates, to blog facebook my art.
Pinterest strips codes as does twitter while they are great for promoting my art not so good for referrals.

This is a big question. I'll try to give you enough info to get you started.

Linking on Social Networks

Social networks are always changing their systems to protect users against spam. You can link cloak with a shortening service one day and the next day surfers will be hit with a redirection message. Or worse, you'll get your accounts canned. The solution is linking to your own website. This is best in the long-term. You're unlikely ever to have redirection issues.

You can either set up a timed php redirect, sales page encouraging visitors to click through to your store, or go all out and have your own e-commerce site. I've designed many of these professionally for years and they're unquestionably the best way to go for long-term growth.

Getting Affiliates

Big subject. I have affiliates promoting many of my different products on different platforms. I'll delve into this area with a few ideas for you to research further.

1. Post on webmaster forums with a signature file leading to your affiliate program.

2. Media buys on webmaster forums.

3. Grow your social media entities and provide updates for affiliates as well as potential buyers.

4. Buy advertising in relevant email lists.

5. Google affiliate sites in your niche and email them directly. Offer them a preferential deal.

6. Get a website. You'll be taken more seriously and you have more SEO and other traffic-building opportunities.

7. Stay clear of Squidoo, EZA and the like. They're either always changing the game, making it harder to monetize, or losing love with G. Put all of your efforts into entities for which you have control: your hosting, your domain, your site.

That should get you started!

valcreates
11-11-2013, 07:35 PM
MariaThompson
thanks I joined sqiodoo before they started changing all rules. They even locked lenses they asked people to write in the first place.
I moved most of my squidoo articles to my blog during the summer and published them one at a time.

I had a domain but it was stolen
I know I probably should get another one
I have a blog from blogger
a twitter account
a polyvore account through twitter
but your right I should have a site as well

MariaThompson
11-11-2013, 08:09 PM
MariaThompson
thanks I joined sqiodoo before they started changing all rules. They even locked lenses they asked people to write in the first place.
I moved most of my squidoo articles to my blog during the summer and published them one at a time.

I had a domain but it was stolen
I know I probably should get another one
I have a blog from blogger
a twitter account
a polyvore account through twitter
but your right I should have a site as well

Hi valcreates,

I'm sorry you've had such problems. I do sympathize.

Squidoo where at one time a nice part of the SEO mix (great for any colored hat, too), but for a single person cranking out content without outsourcing or automation, I'd never recommend a free service for long-term growth. Too many variables out of your control. Also, I wouldn't put effort into transfering articles to a blog that you've used elsewhere: if the content has already been indexed in Google, which it will have been when residing on Squidoo, you won't get any search engine love. Run content through Copyscape in the future, if you do do it.

If you're on Blogspot, that's not all bad, just so long as you follow their TOS, which I'm almost certain you will be doing. If you're just starting out, I think you're actually in good shape: you can make original products, create content, and you know your way around blogging platforms. All good stuff. What I'd do right now is build up your presence on social networks and also look for other platforms where you can sell your art. Put the income back into a domain and hosting. That should increase sales all the more and encourage affiliates. I've never done something similar (part of what I do is selling products, but they're e-books). I'll do a little research and report back if I have any good solutions.

MariaThompson
11-11-2013, 08:13 PM
One other thing. And, again, I'm sorry if you already know this.

Before I think about getting affiliates, I make sure I'm already selling my product very well on my own. I won't pretend I'm the top affiliate on all my products, some of these guys send crazy volume, but I'm up there and hover close to the top spots most months.

So my last bit of advice tonight is maybe consider forgetting affiliates for now. There's no crime having products on a platform like your on. What I'd do is work the different traffic channels and build up a nice volume.

MariaThompson
11-12-2013, 03:46 AM
Update: Have emailed a friend doing something similar. Will wait for his response and give you any solutions.

valcreates
11-12-2013, 06:34 AM
MariaThompson

thank you
I didn't even think of sEO I mostly did it to save time so I didn't have to write new articles over the summer.
a lot of people in my line of work neglect to promote their work in the summer.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1