WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

MariaThompson
11-09-2013, 06:14 AM
I started out in the early 90s selling booking leads to local hotels and guest houses. I bought a server and gave them free hosting and web design in exchange for leads. It was easy pickings (probably still would be). I'd walk into a hotel with my laptop and ask to speak to the manager. 8 times out of 10, I'd get the business (wouldn't be so easy nowadays). A month later, I'd be sending leads. When things got too much for me to manage on my own, I threw up some flyers at the local college, wrote some manuals, and hired students to take up most of the workload.

As far as regular affiliate programs go, I think my first was Friend Finder in about '96. Getting paid on clicks (the first and last time).

How about you folks?

AllanJames
11-09-2013, 05:52 PM
My goodness you're a prolific poster Maria. :)

In answer to your question:

After making no money in six months promoting a 'bright shiny object' opportunity my first affiliate sale was for a superb suite of online marketing tools.

I've diversified a bit now but still, seven years later, use and promote these very same tools.

MariaThompson
11-09-2013, 06:35 PM
My goodness you're a prolific poster Maria. :)

In answer to your question:

After making no money in six months promoting a 'bright shiny object' opportunity my first affiliate sale was for a superb suite of online marketing tools.

I've diversified a bit now but still, seven years later, use and promote these very same tools.

Haha . . . I'd say relatively prolific.

This is something I've never gotten into -- ". . . online marketing tools." But it's got to do well; webmasters know they have to spend money to make money. I've been tempted once or twice to sell tools I've either made myself or had custom made, but always wanted to keep them for myself until they become obsolete. I must give this niche a bash, though. Added to my To Do list!

danasurvey
11-09-2013, 07:28 PM
For me, I tried a number of different things when I started online 7+ years ago. My main money makers have always been within the free money making niche.

janny108
11-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Is this just surveys? My problem with that is I click on some surveys that are misleading when they say here's an easy way to get $__; you click there and it's questions usually yes or no, do you want this or that? Annoying.

MariaThompson
11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
@danasurvey : Moneymaking niche rocks. (BTW, love your site. Nice clean design with great info for the ladies here.)

@janny108: That's right; they can be a bummer! Although not affiliate marketing, it's great to hear you're making money. When you're ready to try other things, be sure to ask around. I'm always happy to help if I can.

carlamae
11-09-2013, 10:00 PM
You are a go getter! Super impressive how you came up with that idea and executed it!

I floundered for a few years actually, making money now and then on flippa, but I would put so much time into building a site and the return was great when they sold, but I had a lot of websites sitting around getting dusty.

I dabbled (and still do because it's fun) on Etsy and sell supplies for jewelry making that I buy cheap from China.

But, the big "boyband" money is coming from an automation sms product I was lucky enough to be a founding beta member of.

Sounds to me like you have what it takes to be a success, no matter what you touch, Maria! All the best.

AllanJames
11-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Haha . . . I'd say relatively prolific.

This is something I've never gotten into -- ". . . online marketing tools." But it's got to do well; webmasters know they have to spend money to make money. I've been tempted once or twice to sell tools I've either made myself or had custom made, but always wanted to keep them for myself until they become obsolete. I must give this niche a bash, though. Added to my To Do list!

Smart lass!

I often remind people of the value of 'Selling the shovels, rather than digging for gold'. In the gold rush days there weren't many miners that became wealthy but the smart people that sold them the things they had to have ( the shovels) did very well.

It's like that online, there are tools every online marketer must have to succeed (hosting, blogging platforms, autoresponders, ad and url trackers, training etc) and serving this massive market has done very well for me. I even found one supplier that provided a superb suite with all of these and more in a very value for money package.

And here's the kicker, as well as a wide market, retention is very high and the monthly residuals for each new client you bring in is very heartwarming :)

MariaThompson
11-10-2013, 05:55 AM
You are a go getter! Super impressive how you came up with that idea and executed it!

I floundered for a few years actually, making money now and then on flippa, but I would put so much time into building a site and the return was great when they sold, but I had a lot of websites sitting around getting dusty.

I dabbled (and still do because it's fun) on Etsy and sell supplies for jewelry making that I buy cheap from China.

But, the big "boyband" money is coming from an automation sms product I was lucky enough to be a founding beta member of.

Sounds to me like you have what it takes to be a success, no matter what you touch, Maria! All the best.

Thanks for the great info and kind words, carlamae! (Love your name, too.)

I became somewhat of a success early on, late 90s, but I'm always pushing, pushing, pushing. In the beginning I was driven to build income; these days, it's accomplishing new project goals. (you and Allan have probably given me others in his post.) I love the creativity of creating something from scratch and, because I often lose interest when somethings up and running and doing so smoothly, the ability to outsource and move on.

I've been hit and miss with Flippa and had more luck with DNForum. (You should try there; although you probably already have.) My problem was my own creation, though. If I sell a site, it's because it was a failure and the income is miniscule. The guys on Flippa are all about income stats, right? DNF, you can get away with a sale if the domain is halfway decent. I've had some terrific luck there over the years. Once bought a domain at reg and sold for $8,000. Another time, reg price again and sold for $2K or $2.5, I forget.

You've renewed my interest in Etsy. Never tried it, spent less than a few mins event looking at it, but I keep meaning to investigate; if only to figure a way to turn a profit and write about it for others to persue with greater effort.

I've also never tried SMS marketing (for shame! haha). I've recently got into selling mobile websites and they do well. Next step is mobile marketing. If you have aff links for the product, feel free to PM me if that's cool. :)

MariaThompson
11-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Smart lass!

I often remind people of the value of 'Selling the shovels, rather than digging for gold'. In the gold rush days there weren't many miners that became wealthy but the smart people that sold them the things they had to have ( the shovels) did very well.

It's like that online, there are tools every online marketer must have to succeed (hosting, blogging platforms, autoresponders, ad and url trackers, training etc) and serving this massive market has done very well for me. I even found one supplier that provided a superb suite with all of these and more in a very value for money package.

And here's the kicker, as well as a wide market, retention is very high and the monthly residuals for each new client you bring in is very heartwarming :)

Awww, thank you! :)

Your posts are always a treat - and educational. (If you have a blog, I'd love to read!) I'm going to do some research next week and consider how to approach this niche. I have some ideas due to the subliminal nature of it all - having been around it for years, you just absorb it, I guess. Thanks for this post. You've put a fire in my belly!

msuggitt
11-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I followed Ken Envoy's 'Site Build It' back in the ninties - my site was fortunes-n-treasures.com where I promoted things like gold, gifts and gemstones that tied in with 'fortune telling' services like numerology and tarot readings. My first sales were with the numerology & tarot sites. :)

A lot of what I learned through 'site build it' was great stuff putting me on the right track early. Hmmm, when I ever find time, I really should resurrect that old site :rolleyes:

BradleyB
11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Back in the day (13 years ago), I build a niche website and it got good ranking in the search engines. On the site, I created a "bookstore" that sold books on Amazon.com for the niche industry I was involved with. I was an Amazon.com affiliate. So I made several hundred dollare every quarter doing that..........But here's the funny thing. On the website, I asked people to bookmark the amazon.com website and they did so using my affiliate id.....Years after I sold the website, I was still getting periodic checks from Amazon (one check every 18 months) because I would accrue enough commissions from Amazon from all the people that were still using my bookmarks! haha lol.........it wasn't a lot of money, but definitely a fun story to tell to people :)

carlamae
11-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Site Build It was a great training ground! I forgot all about them until I read your post.

MariaThompson
11-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Great posts, folks! I'm enjoying reading each one and learning each time I do. Even after 20 years of doing this, I always discover plenty of new things to upload to the ole melon. I won't reply to each post -- don't want to monopolize things - but this is fun. Thanks for your replies! :)

writepro
11-10-2013, 10:48 PM
I first got started by selling my excess books (still a recovering bookaholic) on Amazon. Then I discovered affiliate marketing, but it took me a while to make it work.

Then started selling my services too - copywriting, content writing, managing shoppingcarts, marketing services, and more, and now do all of the above, plus I'm doing better with my affiliate marketing stuff now, though it goes up and down, depending on what Google is up to.

Been doing Squidoo for a while too, but the money is not as good as I had anticipated, so I find it's mostly for entertainment and the rather enjoyable community than for anything else.

MariaThompson
11-12-2013, 03:50 AM
I first got started by selling my excess books (still a recovering bookaholic) on Amazon. Then I discovered affiliate marketing, but it took me a while to make it work.

Then started selling my services too - copywriting, content writing, managing shoppingcarts, marketing services, and more, and now do all of the above, plus I'm doing better with my affiliate marketing stuff now, though it goes up and down, depending on what Google is up to.

Been doing Squidoo for a while too, but the money is not as good as I had anticipated, so I find it's mostly for entertainment and the rather enjoyable community than for anything else.

I do a lot of Amazon: products and my own books. Am also heavily into affiliate marketing (promoting my own products and others). Happy to give tips if you need them. :)

AllanJames
11-13-2013, 02:44 AM

Now that's an interesting statement (well to me anyway :) ). Can I ask, why does your profitability go 'up and down depending on what Google is up to' ?

Money Coach
11-13-2013, 04:25 AM
I agree about Site Build It. They have a great platform and learning structure that works great for a newbie. I recommend them in a trainng course for starting an online business that I created. They started back in 1997 and have alway remained (coincidently) in Montreal Canada.

MariaThompson
11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Allan's point being: never rely on Google (or any search engine for that matter). I learned this lesson most severely one summer morning in 1994. It was a Tuesday. 6:27 am. I had all my eggs in one basket and tripped coming down the stairs. BLAMMO! A sea of swaying chicken embryos - and a cat licking herself into a merry ecstasy.

msuggitt
11-13-2013, 01:10 PM
What I really like about this post is that it's cool meeting others who are passionate about marketing. I see quite a few of us who have been around for quite awhile and for me, myself I'm attracted (addicted to) the 'game' of marketing both on and ofline.

We never stop learning and growing - none of us knew how to market on smart phones only 5 years ago when we were still talking on dumb phones. :p It's a never ending game, how to get the right product in front of the right buyer who has the means to buy - at the right time... we are all chasing the lure of hitting the mark and making some serious cash.

And we all LOVE the lure and opportunity of making some good cash online through Affiliate Marketing............... it's a cherished skill they can't take away - we always have work to do when we want to make extra money..... :D

Louidam1
11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
My first way of making money with affiliate marketing is promoting free ways for people to make extra money from home. I've been doing this for the past 5 years and really enjoy it. I'm not good at selling things so I just stick with the free stuff.

DarioMontesdeOca
12-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Late 2000s made my first affiliate sale of nearly $500 without a website or any idea of what I was actually doing. I COULD NOT believe it was real, but of course now I do :D

vfy2000
01-03-2014, 01:00 PM
I made my first few hundred dollars online by selling on eBay. Then I branched out to do some offline consulting. From there I branched out again to doing affiliate marketing. Now I'm doing all of them with more focus on internet marketing. I never stop learning and earning. :D

Missleiii
01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Instant Rewards

healthysolutions
01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
The first check I've ever got when I first started was with a coffee business. It wasn't much but something!

Sanblomstrom
01-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Several years ago, I decided to try something I had never done before - Affiliate Marketing. I was so terribly lost although I had been in sales as a Realtor for many years. Network Marketing was all so new to me and so hard to understand. But with good mentor and lots of training, I learned to make money with the healthcare company I had joined. Now, I like helping people and share what I have learned.
With that in mind, I joined a company called Stiforp.
Stiforp has the tools and training at an affordable price that can help Affiliate Marketers build their existing business into a profitable business.

cmkfarmer
01-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Mr.rebates was the first affiliate sale I made.

lrz
01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
I first made money with the Instant rewards affiliate program.

lisadlastdegree
03-16-2014, 07:56 AM
I started in 2008 with a blog and signing up for Amazon affiliate program but soon realized my traffic was so low and commissions were so low that I stopped checking in every month. I then set up an eBay drop ship business in Australia which went ok in the pet market but costs were pretty high. My website started to generate traffic and I started to sell advertising and sponsored ads. Now I have started to earn a decent second income promoting Internet Marketing training as an Affiliate where the commissions are higher.

neowebserve
04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I made my first money with Affiliate Marketing with clickbank doing classified advertising years back. And the excitement was sensational being the very first commission I will earn online from promoting a product.

It felt good. You know...those goose bump feelings:cool:

Ggit303
05-02-2014, 09:05 AM

In the beginning I sold books and CDs on Amazon, eBay and Half.com, as well. I tried Squidoo, but found out that it wasn't my cup of tea. Now, I am more focused on affiliate marketing, writing content for websites, and building my own blogs.

formercareerguy
06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
for me it was 100% commissions with EN.

Thanks,
Joe Carrera
Internet Marketer

jwoitena
06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
I made my first money in affiliate marketing from a brand new fitness product at the time.
The original Fitbit.

I created a site called WhyBuyFitbit.Com, got it ranked number 1 in Google, Yahoo and Bing and made about $2000 a month for the first 3 months the Fitbit was out but as sales started to get going, Fitbit closed my account because I violated the terms of service by using Fitbit in my domain name.

Learned early on to actually read the affiliate rules. :)

Oh and if I failed to mention, I created that site after 1 year of making $0 online, really $0.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1