WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

CJWrite
11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
I've been curious about something...

If you promote a product as an affiliate marketer on a blog, website, etc, I know it's a no-no to purchase anything through your own affiliate link for obvious reasons. But, what if there's something that you want to buy/do that you're promoting?

Should you clear your cookies before doing so? Just in cases there's a tracking cookie in there from your own affiliate link? Use another computer entirely?

MariaThompson
11-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I've been curious about something...

If you promote a product as an affiliate marketer on a blog, website, etc, I know it's a no-no to purchase anything through your own affiliate link for obvious reasons. But, what if there's something that you want to buy/do that you're promoting?

Should you clear your cookies before doing so? Just in cases there's a tracking cookie in there from your own affiliate link? Use another computer entirely?

Great question.

I always test drive (so to speak) any product I review. In fact, on the different sites I run, I have over 80 different folks who work along side me and everyone must do the same; that's my policy. I don't mean we all test the same product, but if Zoe, for instance, writes a review about a Stephen King book, she needs to read it (and I will purchase it for her). In the case of most products, the testing goes on for about a month (especially with complex items of products that take a long time to properly use, like video games).

As to your second question: tell your AM what you're doing, clear your cookies (flash, too), and purchase the product. Never go through your own link codes (cheating).

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any others. :)

writepro
11-10-2013, 11:00 PM
I almost always own, use, and like products (or services) before I even decide to promote them. Occasionally, I also recommend one that a trusted friend really likes and recommends, but even then I often try to get my hands on it.

An online friend and colleague has a service where he creates pre-sell reports and opt-in pages etc., and I subscribe to that service. So he picks the products, and generally they're great products (and I do get my own copy), In the case of Clickbank products, I also check the refund rate before I decide to promote it.

Occasionally, I get a free copy, just so I can check it out.

I have the "always check it out policy" out of principle, and also because I've come across the occasional product that was soooo bad that I shudder at the thought I actually considered promoting it.

I'm thinking of one product in particular. One product I had been promoting became unavailable. So I found one that looked like a worthy replacement. The sales letter made it look outstanding, but the product itself turned out to be so inferior (plus so badly written) I was shocked.

I was so glad I checked!

fxmagnet sense
11-11-2013, 10:57 PM
you simply clear the cache and buy through your affiliate link if you want. But some companies do allow you to buy through your own affiliate link on purpose, maybe they're doing a dimesale, etc....

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1