WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Smudgekitty
09-30-2013, 09:12 AM
I sell a lot on Amazon's Marketplace and was looking for a discussion forum that isn't run by Amazon.

I don't have any issues with them today but some days I feel like banging my head against a wall after dealing with them. I'm just wondering how many others feel the same way.

lorah
10-01-2013, 04:17 AM
I'm not an amazon seller. How do you become one?

Smudgekitty
10-01-2013, 12:10 PM
It's pretty easy to sign up. You can click the "Sell Yours" button on any product page and it will take you into the setup. There are two choices. One is for people who sell things occasionally which charges you a 0.99 listing fee per item. The other (I work under this one) is a monthly fee for unlimited listing of $39.99. I currently have about a thousand products listed; mostly books but a lot of other stuff as well. If you choose the monthly option the first 30 days is a freebie.

You also have the choice of shipping the merchandise yourself or sending it to an Amazon warehouse where they handle all of the shipping; it's called Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA). I go with this option because Amazon handles all of my shipping, invoicing, customer service, and storage - for a fee of course. Amazon takes a commission on every sale regardless of whether you ship yourself or you let them do it for you.

In my case it is cheaper for me to outsource to Amazon the processing and handling of orders than it is for me to hire someone to come in a few hours a week. I also don't have the storage space to stock inventory and I can't rent a storage unit as inexpensively as I can through Amazon.

I've tried dozens of different venues for at home businesses; Amazon has proved to be the best fit for me and for the lifestyle I want to live. Not only that, it works compatibly with my publishing business. The best part, is the shopping for inventory.

I get to hit all of the yard sales, flea markets, library sales, auctions, thrift stores and any other nifty location I can find to hand pick inventory. At least 30% of my inventory I am the only seller.

Don't get me wrong, Amazon has it's glitches and headaches as with any business. However, Amazon has a customer base of over 100 million people and a practically unlimited advertising budget. I do a little marketing, especially for my specialty items, but overall Amazon is a known name and is the go-to place for millions of products.

As for payments, they come in like clockwork, every two weeks based on when you signed up. In my case, my payment release date is every other Monday and I see the direct deposit in my bank Wednesday afternoons. Keep in mind banks do vary so some get their deposits the next day while other may not get them until a few days later.

Hopefully, this will give you an idea of where to start. let me know if you need more info.

lorah
10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that you could sell all those different types of products. So do you think it is better than eBay? I sell a little there, I just need more inventory to get more listings up. I think eBay fees are high though. And I know people are leaving there for greener pastures

Smudgekitty
10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't care for eBay. I have sold some things there, but I primarily sell on Amazon. Amazon is very particular that you get your descriptions right, which isn't hard to do. Mostly if you are selling an item as "new" it better be new. There are some things that I don't sell as much of like CDs because they have a high return rate; people copy the CD then return claiming a defect. I also don't sell much in the line of DVDs right now because of pending lawsuits against 3rd party sellers which has caused Amazon to place restrictions on DVD listings.

I find that listing items, shipping a box to Amazon's warehouse, and letting them do all the grunt work is easier than than storing the inventory, sorting through it, and getting it out in Amazon's shipping window (48 hours) and tracking the invoicing. Besides I'm really bad about mailing things.

I shop, I list, I label it and bag it (if necessary), throw it into a big box and drop it off to UPS. Amazon has a deal with UPS that drops shipping rates really low. I can send a 30 lb. box of books to Amazon for about $12 give or take depending on which warehouse it's going to.

Overall, I would say Amazon is definitely easier to work with than eBay. Amazon has it quirks but I've been pleased with the results. I started my business with them back in January this year and I have seen good growth. I make more than I put in and after you get past the learning curve you find that you don't have to devote a lot of time to the process.

There's an ebook called Barcode Booty that can give some great tips for starting with Amazon. I bought it, I want to say it cost $2-3 through Kindle, just before I took the leap and found it extremely helpful.

RetailTrail
10-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Amazon is great for selling on. There are always going to be headaches for any business but all and all, its great. Think about how much you would have to spend on marketing to get people to your site and take a gamble that they would buy. On Amazon, all they do is take a percentage of each sale. So they dont make money unless you do. Its a great fit. Plus the millions of traffic they get daily.

Katie87
10-03-2013, 12:46 PM
i've sold on both, but over the years i mostly stick with eBay. i don't sell enough where having an eBay store makes sense, but i do it pretty regular. One thing i have definitely noticed is that there are items that just sell better on eBay rather than Amazon, but it goes both ways.

In my experience, food items, books, movies manuals etc seem to do good on Amazon, where as items in other categories seem to do much better on eBay. Amazon seems to intimidate people with things like not excepting Paypal.

Maybe you should consider eBay, i'd be happy to answer any questions. i've been selling stuff for close to 4 years now regularly.

Good Luck!

Smudgekitty
10-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm considering going into Sears Marketplace after the first of the year. They have a similar set-up to FBA although the sign-up requirements seem to be a little more demanding. Has anyone had any experience with them?

DSAldridge
10-08-2013, 02:35 PM
This is a very informative thread. I've been selling a few things here and there on Craigslist, but it's a pain and I'd really rather sell on Amazon. I buy a lot from them, work on MTurk and am an affiliate, so I'm pretty tied-in to Amazon. I tried eBay a couple of times a few years back, and the last time, they charged me OUTRAGEOUS fees for something pricey that didn't sell, and refused to negotiate the fees, even though my listing was buried under a ton of commercial listings (which they give priority to) and never even got but 3 visitors. I refused to pay the fee. I was working for a company that paid through PayPal, and PP suddenly "lost" $250 of my money -- said it was never there, and since I couldn't prove it, I lost twice what the fee would have been. I will never sell through eBay again, and I rarely buy from them unless I simply can't find something anywhere else. I also take screen shots of my PayPal account on a regular basis and email them to myself to prove the date. I don't trust either one of them much.

debbiesedbergh
10-09-2013, 05:23 AM
There are a lot more buyers on Amazon than sellers.

gerekallen
10-10-2013, 06:27 PM
This thread is right up my alley.

I currently ONLY sell on Amazon, using FBA. I don't want to store any inventory, I don't want to ship out the items, and I don't want to deal with any of the customer service that comes with returns/exchanges.

Furthermore, once I get my main vendor to ship directly to Amazon for me, I can run this business literally from anywhere in the world, which is exactly the lifestyle I'm going to achieve.

I currently have over 1000 products on Amazon, and I'm growing every single week. I currently don't sell on any other marketplaces for a few reasons... For Amazon to ship my items to the customers from the other marketplaces, the fees are too high to make any profit, especially for what I sell (cell phone accessories). Plus, I'd have to handle all the customer service for returns and exchanges, where Amazon does that for me when I use their FBA service. My time is valuable, so I can't justify spending it unless the returns are there.

I will say that after doing research with other marketplaces, and comparing it to my lifestyle goals, I don't see adding too many other marketplaces to my portfolio without taking on extra headaches. To me, it's just not worth it. Now that may change in the future, especially if I get exclusivity on high margin items, but for now, that's not the case.

Smudgekitty
10-11-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree about using Amazon's multi-channel shipping. There are way too many headaches and fees involved that defeat the purpose of having a truly versatile and mobile business. As it sits now, I can literally take my Amazon business on the road. It does help that I have Broadband Blue internet service that travels with me (way better than Mi-Fi).

I have learned that I can park in an area for a week or so, shop all of the nifty, unique outlets then spend a couple of days prepping a shipment. Once the shipment is ready all I have to do is drop it off at my nearest UPS pick up location (UPS stores, Office Depot, Staples, Office Max).

We lost our home earlier this year and decided to live in our RV and travel. Definitely not retired but working on it. Also, not earning as much as I would like through Amazon,also working on that. I keep growing and adding new product every week though.

Jannie
10-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Have been selling some books and some other things on Amazon from time to time but haven't signed up for the $40 a month thing that they have. But not signing up definitely limits a person as to what they can sell. Quite frequently would like to sell something and there is an area that already has it listed, but then come to find out it's locked by Amazon for us who didn't pay up the $40.

What does the $40 a month all include on Amazon should I decide to sign up for that? Is it just that I can hook into more listings that are already on there, ones that can't be hooked to w/o the signing up? Will the fees to pay for selling something be the same with paying up the $40 a month?

Not selling all that much stuff on Amazon made the sign up fee something that wasn't considered. But...maybe if we could sell more stuff it would pay for itself?

Also wondering where folks are getting their items to sell on Amazon as am limited here because of health problems as far as getting out and about to go to yard sales, etc.

Thanks for any help ahead of time! :)

Smudgekitty
10-15-2013, 08:18 AM
The monthly fee gets a seller unlimited listings which is a plus when you have a lot of something. Some people get their inventory through traditional routes - yard/garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, auctions, and so forth. I'm aware of some that work with wholesale suppliers directly and order large quantities of certain products.

It has been noted that some people rely on drop-shipping; however, by most accounts that can quickly turn disastrous and end up getting your account permanently banned.

Others will even buy their inventory from eBay and like site then resell the stuff on Amazon.

I guess where you get your inventory is kind of a personal choice based on how much money you have to spend each month and what is available.

I have a friend who lives on the other side of the country from me and she has access to a whole different selection of salable items that what I have access to.

gerekallen
10-15-2013, 04:41 PM
What does the $40 a month all include on Amazon should I decide to sign up for that? Is it just that I can hook into more listings that are already on there, ones that can't be hooked to w/o the signing up? Will the fees to pay for selling something be the same with paying up the $40 a month?

From what I remember, there is an extra $.99 fee for each item sold when you don't pay the $40. So if you're not going to have more than 40 sales in a month, there's no need to pay for the monthly membership.

eyeofthestorm
10-16-2013, 04:08 AM
We are also Amazon/FBA sellers. We turned to it about 4 months ago, and (for the most part), it's been bringing in far more money than we anticipated. That said, I've been really frustrated - our sales dropped in the last month. We've been pretty conservative in our product choices (not being too risky), so I'm hoping things will pick up with holiday sales.

I was skeptical about the $40 fee at first, but taking the chance was an eye opener. Before, I (kind of) felt like a slave to my listings - BETTER be able to ship in time if it sells. Switching to Amazon fulfillment (they store, pack and ship) is SO worth the fees. We increased our offerings - I don't even know how much. The time I used to spend thinking about our scheduled, packing, shipping, time constraints - I switched almost all of that to buying inventory. We still do ship to Amazon ourselves, rather than direct from wholesalers, so a small portion of our time is spent packing - but we don't need separate boxes for each item (we send multiples to the warehouse), so we're saving money there, saving on shipping costs...

It hasn't been completely smooth like glass, but there's been much greater ROI much sooner.

Smudgekitty
10-16-2013, 02:22 PM
I've seen a drop in sales myself since the first of the month. In the Amazon forums, it seems to be a regular occurrence this time of year. I hoping to see a healthy bump in sales for the holidays as well.

I know that for the holidays there is going to be some delays for receiving and possible some shipping delays through UPS; which is why I've been working my butt off all week to get my puzzles and games in before Nov.1.

gerekallen
10-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, this time of year is the 'calm before the storm'. Black Friday through the end of January will be great!! I'm already loading up on inventory levels now.

One thing to keep in mind is if you're using FBA, and shipping to their warehouses using their discounted shipping agreements (which are really good deals), I've been finding it usually takes almost a week for the inventory to be received and checked in.

I personally get my product from a wholesaler, so my total turn around time from my order until it goes online with Amazon can be up to 2 weeks long. As the holiday season approaches, keep that in mind with your inventory levels.

Requill
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Yes it is easy :) Message me if you need help signing up as a seller!

wordplay123
10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
I've been selling items on eBay and Amazon for awhile, I've had some limited success on both, but not enough to make it a full part-time job. I'd love to work full-time at either, but eBay seems to have a limited resale market for a lot of items (either super flooded or doesn't sell at all). And outside of certain items on Amazon, my items tend to sit FOREVER.

I've read Barcode Booty, and actually applied some of the techniques to some of the items I've purchased. But as I've mentioned, quiet a few of those items are now sitting in my studio, consuming space and making me no $$$. I guess my issue is that I need to find a profitable, quick selling niche on Amazon. XD

If I could do that, I'd be a full-time Amazon seller in a heartbeat. (Love their affiliate program too!)

DSAldridge
10-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Wordplay, Have you tried Craigslist? I only do affiliate sales through Amazon and don't sell on eBay at all. I find that if I post items separately on Craigslist, I can send out a link to my other items in the response email inquiry, and end up having sort of an online yard sale. Posting an online yard sale is against CL TOU, but it is not against TOU to put up a web page with pictures and links to all of your individual CL ads so people can see everything at once. This way, they can pick out additional items when they come. This works REALLY well when you sell things under different categories. When I was doing it a lot, I just had a blog called "My Craigslist Sales" which worked really well. It works as long as you post individual ads for every item on CL and don't call it an online yard sale.

ADK1011
11-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I've been reading through this thread and was curious, as I don't see it mentioned here.

When selling on Amazon, if someone buys my product, do I get the money immediately (as in eBay) or does Amazon accrue your sales for a certain amount of time? Which means I have to pay for the shipping of the item myself (if I'm opting to ship my own stuff) and then wait to be reimbursed?

Thanks!

janny108
11-09-2013, 04:40 PM
I've sold books on Amazon because I did not know that much about Ebay. But recently I sold an item for over $100 and that made me happy!!

BradleyB
11-10-2013, 09:29 AM
this thread has caught my attention :) I have a quick question. If you want to sell on Amazon, do you have to ship your products to Amazon for them to fulfill to the customer? Or do you maintain the inventory and ship out the ordered products? look forward to your replies.

writepro
11-10-2013, 10:26 PM
this thread has caught my attention :) I have a quick question. If you want to sell on Amazon, do you have to ship your products to Amazon for them to fulfill to the customer? Or do you maintain the inventory and ship out the ordered products? look forward to your replies.

That depends on whether you sign up for FBA or whether you check "I want to ship it myself."

The thing with FBA is that once you ship it to Amazon, they'll charge you storage fees, so it better be a relatively fast-moving product.

I've been listing stuff (mostly books) I own for years, and some of them sit around for years until they sell, while others ship much more quickly. At this time, I don't do FBA because my books aren't moving that quickly, and if they don't sell for a decent price, I'd rather keep them, or donate them for the tax deduction.

But if I were to sell things that move quickly, I'd go for it - it's a great deal in that case.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, I might look into selling SOME stuff that way...

tatfamily
11-27-2013, 03:33 PM
I was intrigued to find a post about selling on Amazon here. I remembered this site from many years ago I also thought when I was ready to hire someone to write for me I would come looking here, well I'm ready so I'm here. Anyways seeing a topic on selling on Amazon is right up alley since the whole reason I'm ready to hire a writer is because of Amazon. I sell a lot on Amazon and trust me it is TOTALLY worth it. It is HARD work and I do mean HHHHHAAAARRRRDDDDD. I started in books a year ago and then started doing retail in April. Our business has grown but mostly because we invest everything we can into it.

The great thing about this business is that it can be exactly what you need. Just a little side job to make some extra cash for entertainment or retirement, or you can really hustle and have it grow to become a fulltime income. I started it to have a little side income but it has grown to the point that my husband will be quitting sometime this spring or summer and we are hoping to go on the road fulltime in an RV with our three kids. I'm extremely passionate about this being the perfect solution to money woes IF you are willing to work hard. In fact, I am passionate enough that I have taught a few friends and family members.

Someone asked if you get your money right away or if Amazon holds it. You get a payment to your bank account every two weeks for whatever money has accrued in your account. The money is "deposited" into your account as soon as the item is shipped. I use FBA so most of the time it ships within hours of being sold. However I have had orders pending for weeks that don't ship, Amazon doesn't tell you why but it is usually because they chose to have all their items shipped together and something they ordered is on back order. This is rare and has maybe only happened a handful of times and I have over 8000 orders in the last year. If you choose to fulfill it yourself as long as you ship through amazon the money for shipping is deducted from your amazon account balance.

If you are really thinking about this business then I suggest you do some reading online, there are tons of informative blogs and groups that are free. Also you need to keep in mind that like many businesses it takes a while to profit. My husband and I didn't really profit from the business for over 7 months but everyone is different and if you aren't looking to grow as we were you may be able to profit a bit earlier but in smaller numbers.

Some great resources to get started are fbastepbystep.com, scanpower group on facebook (I'm very active on here and so are many others that will help a lot), bob wiley has a yahoo group but I can't remember the name of it.

If you ask me I always say to start with books because you are going to make a lot of mistakes and if you make a mistake on a $1 book then oh well but on a $20 retail item then it hurts a bit more. Also if you have very little to invest you can buy more books with what you have then you can other items (more eggs in your basket.) I loved starting with books and use asellertool with a pda however, they now have a pretty good looking database option for a smartphone but I have not used it. For a cheap scan option there is profit bandit that I know a lot of people use but have not myself. I use scanpower which is pricey but well worth it after you are making enough to justify the expense.

Really if you want to start sign up for a scanner read what all the numbers mean go out spend $50 on books. Also order some labels either 30-ups for an inkjet printer or get a label printer and labels for it, this is to label your inventory or else you can choose to pay amazon .30/item to do it for you. Then go sign up for Amazon, preferably their FBA program and the pro account (which is free for the first month, which is why I would sign up once you have some books.) Get them listed either through a listing software (I use inventorylab because I LOVE it but a lot of people like listee and scanpower, or amazon has a scan and ship option that I have never used.) Then get them labeled and shipped into amazon as quickly as possibly, hopefully you will get enough sells before you have to start paying anything so it will come out of your profits rather then your account.

IntegrityPays
11-29-2013, 06:14 AM
I'm considering going into Sears Marketplace after the first of the year. They have a similar set-up to FBA although the sign-up requirements seem to be a little more demanding. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I haven't tried them but will do some research into it. Thanks and let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
You can browse buyers and sellers on internet. I am also trying to find out some mens shirts buyers from UK, USA and Canada.

elizabethnml
12-13-2013, 01:42 AM
I've been reading through this thread and was curious, as I don't see it mentioned here.

When selling on Amazon, if someone buys my product, do I get the money immediately (as in eBay) or does Amazon accrue your sales for a certain amount of time? Which means I have to pay for the shipping of the item myself (if I'm opting to ship my own stuff) and then wait to be reimbursed?

Thanks!

That is pretty much how it works. I sell on amazon and ship the items myself. Your earnings, minus their commissions and monthly fee, are paid out weekly and deposited into your bank account. For myself, the "week" ends on Wed. night, and I do not see the money deposited into my bank until the following Monday. I'm not happy that it takes that long and don't know why it does - when I withdraw my money from my paypal balance for instance, it usually shows up in a day.

So you do have to keep that in mind. During the holidays, you may get orders where the customer has paid for express shipping, and you have to pay for that out of your own pocket first.

luxeperla
01-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm an Amazon marketplace seller. I've only sold a few items so far, but the process is pretty painless. Except, as a direct seller, if there are other reps also selling products online they can claim the product as their own. The first rep is listed as the seller, and everyone else falls behind them. So it's kind of like first come, first served.

Also, keep in mind that you must have a valid UPC code in order to sell a product on Amazon. Getting an exception looks to be difficult if not impossible.

cmkfarmer
01-18-2014, 11:01 AM
I feel that they have started taking a HUGE chunk of the sale. I've sold with them for years

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1