WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Educate Online/eSylvan

CANTELOUBE
09-30-2013, 06:07 AM
This is the first time I've ever posted anything on any forum, and I'm really not sure I'm in the right place. Was just trying to add to the knowledge base about Educate: I believe the entire name is Educate Online, Inc., which apparently is also eSylvan, or the online tutoring site for Sylvan (not easy to find this info!). They seem to have very strict requirements, including 2 degrees, although they do not require a teaching certificate. They do ask for at least 2 years of relevant teaching experience, etc. I'll post their latest offering below. The disappointing thing, though, is that after requiring all of this specialized knowledge and experience, apparently they start people out at $9 an hour. I don't know if they ever offer raises. Good luck to any who decide to try this company - I may if I can cobble together 2 years of teaching experience!

Requisition Number 13-0022
Post Date 9/3/2013
Title Online Writing Instructors, Higher Ed (Part Time-Remote)
City (NATIONWIDE - any US state)

Description

** For consideration, candidates must:
1) live in the continental United States
2) hold a Bachelors degree in English plus a Master's degree or higher in English, Education, Curriculum, or related field with 2+ years of relevant teaching experience
3) Be available for our peak time on Fridays from 11am-1pm EDT
4) Maintain a set schedule for the semester with an availability of at least 10 hours per week **

Company Overview
For more than a decade, Educate Online has built gateway skills for Career and College Readiness through personalized, live online instruction in reading, math and writing for K-20 students. Learners connect and interact with an Educate Online faculty member through our online learning environment. Our instructors are U.S.-based educators with state-certifications and/or advanced degrees committed to helping build academic achievement and maximizing student outcomes.

Educate Online’s mastery-based approach produces significant academic gains: on average, students experience more than a 1.0 grade-level improvement in just 25 hours of one-on-one instruction. Our faculty members are passionate pioneers helping us shape the future of education through our unique learning model. To date, over two million sessions have been delivered to students in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. Educate Online’s main offices are located in Danvers, MA and Baltimore, MD.

Educate Online’s services include:
- Academic Reading (Grades K-12 & Adults)
- Writing (Grades 9-12 & Adults)
- Integrated Reading/Writing (Grades 9-12 & Adults)
- Math Essentials (Grades K-8)
- Algebra (Grades 8-12 & Adults)
- Advanced Math (Grades 9-12 & Adults)

Hours/Work Schedule
- Positions starting immediately
- Part Time (10-29 hours per week), Remotely-based
- 10 hour minimum required per week

- Peak time need is Fridays from 11am-1pm EDT
- Mon-Fri | 9am-11pm EST, 8am-10pm CST, 7am-9pm MST, or 6am-8pm PST
- Saturday | 9am-6pm EST, 8am-5pm CST, 7am-4pm MST, or 6am-3pm PST
- Sunday | 12-9pm EST, 11am-8pm CST, 10am-7pm MST, or 9am-6pm PST

Position Summary
At Educate Online, we hire the most talented and motivated educators to empower our students to grow and succeed. Our Online Instructors share a passion for helping students reach their academic goals.

As an Online Instructor in our Writing program you will:

- Complete our online New Faculty Training, attend virtual monthly team meetings and additional professional development trainings throughout the year
- Instruct writing to adult learners in both traditional and non-traditional contexts
- Deliver instruction of pre-determined learning objectives in our live, online environment to adult learners in a 2:1 student-teacher setting
- Determine, monitor and adjust session objectives based upon individual student needs
- Accurately evaluate student and record student performance by completing a short written summary of each session taught
- Work in collaboration with your assigned Lead Instructor, Learning Coaches and support staff

VIEW A LESSON DEMO

Meaningful & Convenient Part Time Work
As a faculty member, you will provide instruction in our online learning environment from the comfort of your home or office using only a personal computer, a high-speed Internet connection, and a headset with microphone.

Teachers work synchronously with students in a positive and collaborative lesson atmosphere. Impact hundreds of students a year through our virtual classroom. No lesson-planning required -- we provide you with the students and the complete curriculum ready to be implemented. Save on gas, travel time, and other typical work-related expenses.

Faculty Pay & Perks
As an innovative employer in the growing e-learning/online education industry we offer a unique and robust package to our part time, work from home positions. The pay is on a per session basis and our new teacher training, monthly meetings and professional development trainings are also paid time.

Our benefit plans include:
- 401(k) retirement plan
- 529 college savings plan
- Family Protection Plan (legal services)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Exclusive discounts available with:
- Liberty Mutual Insurance (Home, Renter's, & Auto)
- VPI Pet Insurance
- Working Advantage (online marketplace)
- AT&T
- Dell Computers
- Brooks Brothers
- Jos. A. Banks Clothiers
- From You Flowers
- Walden University

Minimum Qualifications

- Bachelors degree in English plus a Master's degree or higher in English, Education, curriculum, or related field required
- 2+ years of relevant teaching experience is required
- Be available for peak time on Fridays from 11am-1pm EDT
- Maintain a set schedule for the semester with an availability of at least 10 hours per week
- Ability to pass an annual background check
- Reliable access to a PC with Microsoft Windows XP or later operating system with cable or DSL high-speed internet access (Mac NOT compatible with our systems)
- Demonstrable knowledge of higher ed composition concepts and techniques
- Enthusiastic about teaching Writing to adult learners
- Excellent rapport-building and oral communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of technology
- Proficient use of Internet, instant messaging and computers
- Ability to adapt to changing needs of academic programs

Educate Online is proud to be an EEO/AA employer: M/F/D/V.
Educate Online maintains an A Rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Cheers -

mankatogirl
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I had some experience with a Sylvan learning center here in my town. Seriously when I learned what they charged and what I would be getting as a wage, I just walked away.

They can pay their tutors much more than that!

My humble opinion only..