WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : My first JR Watkins booth

suse
09-27-2013, 07:19 AM
I'm a bit nervous, and a whole lot excited! This Saturday I'm finally hosting my first event booth at a local craft fair. :eek: While I mostly have done individual catalog sales and referrals so far, I thought I'd get a taste for what this avenue of the business is about. :)

I think I'm as ready as I ever will be, and have set a simple expectation. I'm using this first booth to see what people are drawn to, what people will disregard, what people ask about, and what to stock for future events. I already have another booth registered for October and will have enough evaluation time to take the results and plan for that one.

nv93446
09-27-2013, 07:55 AM
You'll do great, Suse! The products are so affordable which will be a lot easier to sell. The vendors that have higher price points tend to have a harder time from what I've observed. It's a "flea market" mentality so people are looking for good deals. I love visiting vendor events as a customer to see how everyone puts on their displays and always leave learning so much :). Have fun!

The Watkins Man
09-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Have fun

Regards
Doulas Adams

bianca5454
09-28-2013, 07:50 AM
I love doing craft & vendor shows! Do keep us posted on the results.

I've had folks come back to the same vendor show location looking for me (Watkins) for years to come!

suse
10-02-2013, 04:58 AM
Thought I'd recap my first show and things I learned. (sorry this is long :o ) It ended up being a smaller show than I had thought, about 50 booths total. Only few direct sales companies, many single crafters - this is different than what I'd seen at other shows where direct sales can dominate a craft show. I was put next to a seasoned Scentsy consultant, which was very helpful! She gave me her own experiences of shows and we talked about other area shows that she frequents.

Some of the poeple who placed orders said they had seen a bag with Watkins being carried (by someone who purchased) so they specifically found me. Lesson learned: Watkins bags are great walking advertisements in the show, don't use non-labeled bags.

A few older people said they didn't know Watkins was still around. Other people who were familiar with Watkins were surprised - and happy! - to see a Watkins person in the area. They hadn't seen a Watkins booth in a long time. Lesson learned - advertise more, Watkins products are getting known, repeated fair attendance may become more profitable.

I had a few stock items, but mostly I was planning to take orders. I took a few orders on items I didn't have, like the traditional toilet bowl cleaner and degreaser, but otherwise people just bought what they could get now - vanilla, petro carbo, cinnamon, and I didn't have much on hand. People mostly asked about the popular items, and when I went home after the show, I looked up the list of the top 50 for Jan-Jun 2013. The asked for products were mostly in the top 12. Lesson learned - have more take-now stock, focus on the top 10 sellers.

While I didn't break even with the cost to do this first show, I have re-usable items (banner, cloths, advertising cards, etc) that I'll use at my next one. The minimal negative balance I had for this show I'm chocking up to training fees. It was a HUGE all-day training! Biggest lesson- I can do it! It isn't as overwhelming as I had built it up to be in my mind.

If you are considering doing an event, but are hesitant, my advice is to just do it - jump in and get started! If shy quiet me can do it, you can too ;)

bianca5454
10-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Suse,
I am glad to hear that your overall experience went well. The comments you received from the public echo much of what I heard when I first started doing shows.

Our top 50 suggested product list is very helpful. I was told (on several occasions) that that person came back looking for my Watkins booth. I have a lot of folks stock up on baking items this time of year. I usually focus on the gourmet products and some of the bath & body (along with the known liniment, petro carb, etc.)

I always enjoyed these type of events. They are a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of great vendors at the same time. It always seemed as though many vendors supported each other during the event (telling other customers about your booth).

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!:)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1