WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

DSAldridge
09-25-2013, 07:28 PM
I haven't really tried to do much with it. I have a health blog that has text links up on posts that talk about using certain items, supplements, etc. I also have a Favorites banner on the sidebar. The blog hasn't been very active (sorely neglected) and I still get a little $10 gift card every once in awhile, which is nice for me because I shop there a lot.

I want to really pump it up, change to the cash payments, which you only get after $100 (I think). I just don't know exactly how to do that. Years ago, I did well with product hubs on Hubpages, but they don't allow that anymore, so that's a bust.

What products do you think would be good to start selling with product posts? I'm open to anything. I can blog about anything. My Hubpages were about shoes and purses, and I did pretty well. Do you think I should just kick it up on the health stuff, or do something a little more profitable? I mean, if I'm going to be writing a post for each product, might as well be something I can make more than a few pennies on.

danasurvey
09-25-2013, 07:33 PM
I've made some money with Amazon, but not a lot. With a tough economy and all the Google Panda and Penguin changes, it was a challenge. I ended up having better results with other things.

dsmpublishing
09-26-2013, 12:59 AM
I have had great results with amazon.

Some good quality keyword research and first result on google for lots of buying keywords pointing to product descriptions and reviews is the best way to go about it. Having just a banner on your site will not get the desired results.

It also depends on your niche as I use it for the uk diet niche and I target

hypnotic diet products
low calorie cookery books
famous diet brands i.e. weight watchers
online subscriptions for diet mags

and then for my high ticket items:

treadmills
cross ski trainers
outdoor sports goods etc

You have to have a mixture of low and high ticket items because not all your visitors have the same amount of money.

I also have recipe snippets where I rank high for recipe keywords and then the post ends with a banner to buy the recipe book,

Its all about having a call of action and quality traffic and I hope that helps.

DSAldridge
09-26-2013, 01:13 AM
I have had great results with amazon.

Some good quality keyword research and first result on google for lots of buying keywords pointing to product descriptions and reviews is the best way to go about it. Having just a banner on your site will not get the desired results.

It also depends on your niche as I use it for the uk diet niche and I target

hypnotic diet products
low calorie cookery books
famous diet brands i.e. weight watchers
online subscriptions for diet mags

and then for my high ticket items:

treadmills
cross ski trainers
outdoor sports goods etc

You have to have a mixture of low and high ticket items because not all your visitors have the same amount of money.

I also have recipe snippets where I rank high for recipe keywords and then the post ends with a banner to buy the recipe book,

Its all about having a call of action and quality traffic and I hope that helps.

Yes, it does. I'm going heavy on fitness, so I planned on including some high ticket items like you named and some budget fitness stuff like exercise bands (which I love) and hand weights. Maybe some walking shoes, since I walk as my main exercise.

I have pretty good traffic, and even though the blog is only a PR1, it's because I don't write for it enough. As soon as I start adding more content, it will rise fast. I always put something before the link like "The cheapest place I've found (product) is Amazon." then put a text link below. That works really well with the supplements and herbs, especially.

I'm really getting into step aerobics, so the steps, shoes, and videos will be my first big push.

RetailTrail
09-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Hello,

Amazon is the biggest seller online, so if you can send people to it, you will get sales. We actually sell Exercise Equipment on Amazon and it does very well.

The one thing you have to look at is Amazon's policies for the state you live in. Some states have put up road blocks for affiliates (tax issue) and Amazon has had to drop affiliates in those states. Hope this helps.

The Mommy Marketer
09-26-2013, 08:53 AM
I used to do something similar with product pages on Squidoo. I was doing ok for a while making $100 here and there but got burned out trying to create new product pages and get them all ranked in Google. I've been taking another look at using them again though but not as an affiliate, more on the vendor side. We will see what happens!

MartelWritings
09-26-2013, 02:42 PM
I really need to take another look into Amazon. Freelance writing has kind of taken over my time these days and I haven't been spending as much time working on my affiliate marketing. Reading all of your suggestions/experiences in this thread makes me want to jump back into it!

DSAldridge
09-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Hello,

Amazon is the biggest seller online, so if you can send people to it, you will get sales. We actually sell Exercise Equipment on Amazon and it does very well.

The one thing you have to look at is Amazon's policies for the state you live in. Some states have put up road blocks for affiliates (tax issue) and Amazon has had to drop affiliates in those states. Hope this helps.

I'm in FL, and we're fine for now.

DSAldridge
09-26-2013, 06:42 PM
I really need to take another look into Amazon. Freelance writing has kind of taken over my time these days and I haven't been spending as much time working on my affiliate marketing. Reading all of your suggestions/experiences in this thread makes me want to jump back into it!

My problem exactly, because I needed fast money and writing gave me that, where affiliate marketing took awhile to pay. I need to get back to my blogs and doing what I love.

HappySam
09-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Now with Amazon fighting against the states in the US, most affiliates are cut off from Amazon. I WAS making a very good monthly income. Hopefully we'll be back in business before Christmas!

dublifunshopping
09-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi Just read your post and have sent you a PM to you
regards
Cheri

carlamae
10-19-2013, 09:17 AM
I have had almost no success with Amazon, but I know people who have so I would imagine it comes down to technique and sleuthing out the where and when. I'm more of an instant gratification type gal and just didn't have the patience! lol. All the best to you!

HappySam
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, I DID make good money from Amazon, but with the latest changes in state laws, most people in the US are no longer Amazon Associates.

Something like 92 or 93% of US citizens has used Amazon at some point. Amazing.

discrat
10-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I created a Christmas Blog last year with Amazon Products.

I had no luck and no conversions whatsoever.

I have always done better with Adsense and GPT Sites.

MariaThompson
10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I was put off by Amazon initially due to the low % commission structure. The trick is to go after high-ticket items. Better to sell 3 of those a month than 300 low-ticket items like CDs or books.

Yuliya Mironova
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
I was put off by Amazon initially due to the low % commission structure. The trick is to go after high-ticket items. Better to sell 3 of those a month than 300 low-ticket items like CDs or books.

Not really, Maria, because your commission percentages - on almost everything you sell there - are determined by the number of items you sell during a month, not by their prices.

If you sell two $1,000 items during the month, you'll get paid 4% for each.

If you sell the same two $1,000 items but also sell the 300 low-ticket items you mentioned (like books or CD's) you'll earn 8% instead of 4% on those expensive items as well as on the low-cost stuff.

The trick is to have a mixture of high-priced and low-priced items. If you stick to high-ticket items, as you suggest, you'll never meet the monthly volume qualifications for high commission levels and remain stuck on the minimum 4% every month.

Lori786
10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
I make a decent amount of money with Amazon, particularly in the period leading up to Christmas with my articles at HubPages that are targeted at Christmas. I usually write them about 3-6 months before leading up to Christmas and it works out pretty well for me each year. At other times of the year, I do have some decent sales with my niche blogs. The key to Amazon success is basically good targeting, closely matching what the visitor has come looking for to your web page. Also, having a good mix of products in a category with ranges from the lower end to the high end is key.

Yuliya Mironova
10-30-2013, 06:02 AM
having a good mix of products in a category with ranges from the lower end to the high end is key.

Exactly. :)

Compensation ranges from 4-8.5%

You're actually making my point for me, Maria: if you stick to high-ticket items, you'll never do the volume to double your commission rates from Amazon, and you'll remain stuck on 4%.

The point (as explained near the start of all those "Amazon Affiliate Training Courses") is that if you don't promote low-cost items which sell easily in large numbers, in order to increase your "number of items per month", you'll never get anywhere near the 8.5% commissions available, from which some affiliates make such good livings. ;)

This is laughable when we compare it to other compensation structures (click bank, for instance) That pay between 50 and 75%.

It's "laughable" only to people who compare commission-percentages rather than incomes. :rolleyes:

Which would you rather promote? An Amazon item for which you have a 15% conversion-rate paying you 8%, or a ClickBank item at the same price paying you 60% but with a 1% conversion-rate? The Amazon item earns you far more, of course. ClickBank affiliates typically consider a 1% conversion-rate there to be good, but professional Amazon affiliates are looking for double-figure conversion percentages. Comparing just the commissions completely misses the point.

Everyone's heard of Amazon, and most people's conversion-rates there are far, far higher.

But what matters is to promote a mix which includes some low-priced items, otherwise you're severely limiting your income by keeping your commission-level stuck on the minimum 4%.

MariaThompson
10-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Yuliya,

I disagree.

This month, I've averaged $127 commission per Amazon sale. The previous month was a few dollars more. Marketers far better than I are capable of a consistent $150 to $200 average commission rate. Going for low-ticket items is fine, and I agree with the person who said to mix high and low, but it's really aimed at people who have less marketing experience. They sell easier; therefore, you make money more easily. If you would do your research and see what others are doing in this field, you'd find a small percentage of marketers sticking to the high-ticket sales because they're in a position to earn more due to their advanced skill set. The longer you spend in IM, the more you will come to realize that selling expensive items is a better deal. The old heads like myself have all started out by selling inexpensive items, but, after a few years, you notice your profit margins are higher for the more expensive kind.

Regarding Click Bank. Experienced CB marketers like myself achieve far higher conversion rates than 1%. Over the past decade we've built email lists in excess of 100,000 targeted subscribers, have hundreds of mini and authority niche sites, own forums, run respected blogs, and do literally everything possible to generate traffic and sales. Many of the products I promote on CB are actually my own, but, for those that aren't, I will always take 60% commission on a product selling for $100 that I know I can sell just as easily as the latest Stephen King novel on Amazon at 8.5%; if not more easily. The difference between wanting an item like a CD or a book on Amazon is that when you successfully promote via CB, you're offering them somethign they NEED. Easier to sell.

I don't claim that my approach to Amazon is the right one for everyone. I just know it works for me because I did the low-tickets for years and now the high tickets and, thus, have a statistical frame of comparison. I have no doubt I can learn some things from you (and others!) and this is the way to be: open minded and pleasant. On the current subject, though, I'm quite confident that my approach works best for me. And my bank balance agrees with me.

To anyone else,

When you're ready to begin promoting higher ticket items, the key is creating authority sites around a single product or group of no more than 3, doing your SEO work, and - most importantly - growing your list. I'll write about it more in the future!

LilBlackDress
10-31-2013, 07:25 AM
I do very well with Amazon and I sell a mix of items at different price points.

What has worked for me is to sell products that I have a genuine interest in. This helps me write really good articles on the products. Or tweak an outsourced article on the product. When I have an article that is so good I want to jump and buy the product myself it usually does very well.

To find products take a look at the sales rankings on products at Amazon and see what is selling. Also look at the date of the reviews. Try to avoid products that people can find anywhere.

Louidam1
11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I never made again with Amazon since I'm not really a good sales person. Last year I created a product review website and add Amazon affiliate links to it and I'm hoping I'll start making sales.

If you're looking to make good money with Amazon, blog about topics and products you know a lot about and passionate about it. When your readers see that they'll build up a trust in you and click the links and buy the products you're advertising.

MariaThompson
11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Do any of you ladies do Kindle e-books?

I was late to the game here (started earlier this year) but the results are impressive. I do a mixture of fiction and non-fiction. So far, my non-fiction sales are outstripping my fiction by 250%. The differece, I think, is because when people are looking for information - i.e non-fiction - they couldn't care less which writer supplies it; whereas, when it comes to fiction, most go for the usual suspects. I'm not giving up on the fiction, though. The key is to build a following for each writer and include links to other novels inside each novel.

I could talk all day on this subject. So much happening!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1