WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

cindi8d
09-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Why is it important that your skin care be gluten free if you have a gluten sensitivity or intolerance?

Cindi

mandm'smommy
09-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I am by no means an expert, but because I had a friend ask me this question, I did a little bit of research and I think the information is a mixed bag. I did find some information that links gluten in skincare products to acne, eczema, and other skin conditions (if you have a gluten sensitivity, that is.) But then I saw a reputable skincare company dispute this.

The gluten protein is not absorbed by the skin, but there does seem to be emerging research showing that people with a gluten intolerance may also see benefits to their skin from removing sources of topical gluten. I don't have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, but I could understand someone who does trying to avoid gluten not only internally but topically, just in case.

I am interested to see what others have to say.

Melissa

AprioriCandy
09-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Great Question, Cindi,
The Mayo Clinic says:
"“Gluten-containing skin care products and cosmetics aren’t a problem unless you accidentally swallow them. For this reason, avoid using such products on your lips or around your mouth. Also, avoid using gluten-containing dental products, such as certain mouthwashes and toothpastes. If you’re uncertain about whether a product contains gluten, check the ingredient list on the product label or contact the manufacturer.
Some people develop a form of celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which causes an itchy, blistering rash. This skin disorder is also linked to gluten intolerance. But although it involves the skin, DH is caused by ingesting gluten, not by skin contact with gluten. So, eliminating gluten from your diet will help clear up DH as well.”
There are companies marketing that they are gluten free, when you read some of the ingredient lists you will find they are not.
You have to know the level of gluten intolerance or sensitivity of your Client, and all the different names / forms of gluten as ingredients.
XO Candace

allisonmackenzie
09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Gluten is not good for anybody. If it is on your skin, then could most definitely get into your system.

bak
10-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Doctors and traditional science say that it's not necessary. However, there's a possibility for cross contamination (getting into your mouth), and also if your partner is celiac, that would be a great reason to use GF skincare. There are plenty of people that say they are celiac and using GF helps, what's the harm, there are so many lines available now that don't use it.

zenhaltija
10-18-2013, 09:15 AM
I am by no means an expert, but because I had a friend ask me this question, I did a little bit of research and I think the information is a mixed bag. I did find some information that links gluten in skincare products to acne, eczema, and other skin conditions (if you have a gluten sensitivity, that is.) But then I saw a reputable skincare company dispute this.

The gluten protein is not absorbed by the skin, but there does seem to be emerging research showing that people with a gluten intolerance may also see benefits to their skin from removing sources of topical gluten. I don't have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, but I could understand someone who does trying to avoid gluten not only internally but topically, just in case.

I am interested to see what others have to say.

Melissa

As someone with a gluten allergy I'm going to respectfully disagree with the company. I don't wear makeup other than lip shades and eyeliner because of the gluten in foundation. If I do, I end up with blotchy skin and not just acne but sebaceous cysts that are terribly painful and unattractive.

cindi8d
10-22-2013, 05:05 PM
I agree...I have read several studies that have linked gluten/wheat in skin care to contributing to acne, eczema and keratosis pilaris. I will see if I can dig them up - maybe it will help shed some light on everything.

cindi

lisabathome
10-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a friend with Celiac and for her gluten free beauty products are a must!

AprioriCandy
10-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Yes, Celiac Disease is the most severe form of gluten sensitivity / allergy.
She can't take any chances for it to get into her mouth, especially.

Some companies claim gluten free and when you read ingredient lists of products,
It will have something like hydrolyzed wheat protein. This happened to me, as my
daughter is gluten free, and this ingredient from a shampoo purchased from a company
claiming gluten free was in the product.

When I contacted a rep who asked who product development team, they claimed the
Gluten had been removed. When you look at the Celiac websites listing ingredients to
avoid, hydrolyzed wheat protein is listed.

We can never be too careful and must be our own advocate when it comes to our health!

xo Candy (RN, MS, NNP)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1