WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : how to get started

prettystar
08-29-2013, 12:24 PM
i have a nikon D80 and looking to get started.

TommyH
08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Anything specific? What interests you to photograph? Questions about camera settings?

danasurvey
08-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Putting together your own blog or site might be a good idea. That way, you can display an online portfolio of your photographs to prospective employers.

Good luck. :)

prettystar
09-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I was thinking weddings, senior pictures, family pictures and landscapes. I pretty much need to know how to advertise, and get some work right away. Do I need to buy any filters or lenses I do have a zoom in lens? I don't know I just need a mentor lol
thanks
Laura

AndrewW
09-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I was thinking weddings, senior pictures, family pictures and landscapes. I pretty much need to know how to advertise, and get some work right away. Do I need to buy any filters or lenses I do have a zoom in lens? I don't know I just need a mentor lol
thanks
Laura

Can start out with what you have.

Really depends, most landscapes don't use a telephoto lens, though some will use a wide angle, not really required by any means though, if you want a shot wider then you get with your existing lens, you can rotate the camera and take another shot, with some overlap then stich them together.

Zoom could come in handy for some uses to avoid switching lens so much.

Filter wise, for landscapes a polorizer is the most useful, usually not needed indoors though. A lot of filters can have their effects duplicated in software these days.

TommyH
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Agree typically go wider for landscapes unless you can put a great distance between you and the shot. Zoom will be good for details while you are shooting your landscapes, close up of flowers, animals, wood grain on maybe drift wood, etc.

Zoom is also great for portraits. Especially if you can do a wide apeture. It will allow you to be away from your subjects so they are comfortable and your not right in their face with a big a camera. Also for weddings as you are normally off to the sides or backs. Wide is also great for weddings so you can get a shot of all the crowd or dance floor, etc.

There are some filters for portraits that will soften the skin and things like that to look into. I do not really do portraits so not too much help.

For advertising, first thing is get out and start taking photos. Get a portfolio started of friends, family, kids if you are looking to do that thing. Maybe some free shoots on craigslist or look at model mayhem. Find a place to start posting your pictures, facebook pages, wix I think you can make a free website, something like that so you can direct potential clients to look at your work.

AndrewW
09-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Zoom is also great for portraits. Especially if you can do a wide apeture. It will allow you to be away from your subjects so they are comfortable and your not right in their face with a big a camera. Also for weddings as you are normally off to the sides or backs. Wide is also great for weddings so you can get a shot of all the crowd or dance floor, etc.

Not exactly. Just to clear something up here.

Zoom = variable focus length. Doesn't indicate that's it's a longer focal length or anything.

Though it is common for a longer lens to be referred to as a zoom, it's not actually correct.

TommyH
09-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes this is true, I have a zoom lens. It's an 11-16mm. So yes this would not tend to lend itself to the portrait area.

The typical user though when they say "zoom" they think telephoto, or semi telephoto just do not know the terms yet.

Just like when we say a fast lens we are talking about aperture size. Which goes beyond what a lot of people really know out of the gates unless they are familiar with photography.

Maybe we should start a basic terminology thread and get it stickied?

AndrewW
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes this is true, I have a zoom lens. It's an 11-16mm. So yes this would not tend to lend itself to the portrait area.

The typical user though when they say "zoom" they think telephoto, or semi telephoto just do not know the terms yet.

Just like when we say a fast lens we are talking about aperture size. Which goes beyond what a lot of people really know out of the gates unless they are familiar with photography.

Maybe we should start a basic terminology thread and get it stickied?

Figured you knew, just wanted to be clear in case someone else reading this wasn't familiar.

Not sure we would need a sticky just for terms, isn't really that much though maybe a basics one, could include some links to learn more.

lorah
09-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Maybe we should start a basic terminology thread and get it stickied?[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea. And just to prove the point, when I hear "zoom" lens, I think the same thing about it being "telephoto" I know there are tons of websites that go into the terminology but having links all in one spot would be great. Sometimes I just want the answer, I don't want to search.

valcreates
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
You can take photos of landscape in all seasons my sister sold some winter ones during the Christmas seasons
you can sell wedding birthday photos
you can take photos of kittens and puppies
just make sure no brands are in your photos because you can't use others trademarks

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1