WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : My First DSLR

Magilli
08-29-2013, 07:58 AM
I was thinking of buying my first dslr camera, and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. Right now am looking at: Pentax K30, Nikon 5200, and the Canon T5. Can anyone give me any advice?

AndrewW
08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Different camers work a little differently, but all accomplish the same task.

If there's any feature you particularily need that some don't have that can narrow it down.

If feasable try out the cameras at a store to see which you might happen to like better.

Can also try looking up some reviews for the ones you are considering, to see what others thought about that particular one, possibly seeing if there's something you might particularily like about it, or not like.

ndswam
08-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/) my husband loves this site and has found it helpful when he bought his camera and the lenses. Somewhere on the site there is a way for you to do a side by side comparison of different products. Good luck on your research!

TommyH
08-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Check out the reviews and features that can be found on the web as others mentioned. Like Andrew mentioned you might find that one has more or features you want when the others don't. That will help narrow it down.

Getting your hands on one to test is always the best option. Each one will feel different in your hands. Also check how each holds it's value, maybe search craigslist or ebay for used ones and see what they are going for. Some cameras hold their value better which is good when you are ready to upgrade.

The only other thing I would add is also look at the lenses for each. Read the reviews on lenses you might buy in the near future. See which ones are easier to get or fit your budget.

The thing about choosing a DSLR is once you start to get additional lenses that is the brand you will most likely stick with. To start over with another brand can be an expensive venture.

Magilli
09-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice! :) Already made me narrow it down and made my decision. Thanks again!

AndrewW
09-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the advice! :) Already made me narrow it down and made my decision. Thanks again!

Have fun with it.

ndswam
09-04-2013, 04:23 PM
The thing about choosing a DSLR is once you start to get additional lenses that is the brand you will most likely stick with. To start over with another brand can be an expensive venture.

That is so true! My husband started with a Canon and had a couple of lenses and wound up switching over to Nikon. Fortunately he had a friend who was looking to get a camera and was able to sell everything and we lost a minimal amount of money. We were lucky. Now we've invested way too much in lenses and stuff so he's forever a Nikon person.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1