WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Link Rot

sushant
08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
What is Link Rot in terms of Search Engine Optimization....
Is there any one who know the meaning of Link Rot and why it is used ???
Please any one tell me about Link Rot...

Theadora
08-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Where did you find this term, link rot? I haven't seen anywhere in forums as of now, I need to search about this really.

writepro
08-30-2013, 11:55 PM
This term was new to me too, so I went and did a little research! And here's what I found:

Link rot is the name for an unfortunate fact of online life:

Some (and sometimes many) of the sites you like to go away eventually, and you're left with a dead link. And those dead links increase over time. So it's important to check your links regularly to make sure they're still active.

Sometimes, I've been the perpetrator myself when I decided not to renew certain domains - while forgetting to update the links they led to...

P.S.: Writing this post reminded me to check up on my own domains and... Oops. One of them just expired, so I renewed it, hopefully before anyone noticed...

P.P.S.: Why is this an important issue for affiliate marketers? Because surprisingly often, offers we might promote go away, so it's important to make sure to keep checking on them.

Also, here's a tip... If you're marketing products in specific niches, it's always a good idea to buy a domain name for them and use them as a redirect to the affiliate offer. Yes, it costs a few bucks but think of it this way...

If your favorite affiliate product goes away, you may have links all over the place that die with it. If you have redirected to your affiliate link through your own domain, you can now just find a new product and redirect to that new product. And you're back in business.

This is especially iimportant if you discover that the original product no longer participates in the affiliate program... which means, you no longer earn a commission! This has happened to me before.

Pick a niche appropriate name, but don't get too specific so it'll work with similar products ;-)

stillthesame
08-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Link rot??? :confused: hearing for the very first time i guess it has been taken wrong.

RobinH
09-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Good response. I, too, have been responsible for my own bad links. Haven't heard the term link rot myself, but it makes perfect sense now that you described it.

For those who don't know, It is especially important to watch the end dates on products you promote. Most links to affiliate products are good for only so long, then they expire. Typically you can get a year or two unless you run specials that are short term.

I like the idea of redirecting your affiliate link through your own domain. Thanks!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1