WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Where is your jewelry made?

HomeBizHope
08-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Just curious about something... we are trying to stay away from China-made products and I wondered if there are any companies here on the forum (or any other NWM companies out there that you know of) that sell US made jewelry?

I love jewelry and will probably consider joining something with my daughter in a few years (when she's old enough) to start her learning about sales.

But first I would like to see where all the jewelry comes from, so post your jewelry's origin please. Thanks very much!

Lori in NY
;)

liz.jewels
08-16-2013, 08:30 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that there are artisans skilled in different techniques in different areas of the world. If you want to buy only from a certain country or avoid a certain country, it's good to understand what you are actually hoping to achieve and ensuring that by making those broader decisions, you will accomplish those objectives. A company using a manufacturing process instead of hand-craftmanship may be able to create all their pieces in a single location, or a smaller company may actually find it more cost-effective to make all of their jewelry in one place.

My company is not just a U.S. based company, although our headquarters is in the U.S., and that is our largest representative base. Much of our design work, therefore, is done in the U.S., but the artisans who actually hand-craft the jewelry are in over a dozen different countries.
For instance:

Italy - there are artisans in Italy who do wonderful work with wire and unique textures. For us, they make a wire-wrapped bracelet, and a stretch bracelet where woven silver provides the stretch (instead of a stretchy cord), and some other very innovative pieces. It's very cool.

Israel - Some of the silver pieces with more innate workmanship and designs are made by artisans in Israel. If you've ever been to Israel, you know how much beautiful silver jewelry is available there. Some of my favorite pieces in our collection have Israel as their point of origin.

Thailand - There are some silver chain-making methods that are unique to specific families and have been handed down from generation to generation. Quite a lot of our pieces are made by artisans in Thailand.

China - Yes, we have jewelry that is made in a factory in China - one owned by a women, where the conditions are fabulous, and the employees receive a living wage. The Chinese artisans are very skilled at stonework, in part because they have a young workforce whose eyesight has not deteriorated with age. So, many of our pieces with stones (which are all hand-set) are produced by artisans in China.

I've also seen pieces that were made in the U.S.A., Japan, and Canada, along with other countries. All of our pieces are stamped with their place of origin, as well as .925 to signify their silver content (plus they all have a lifetime guarantee).

accents4you2
08-16-2013, 02:06 PM
All the beautiful standard, premium, and bittie inserts that go into Magnabilities jewelry is made in the USA. The custom orders are also made in the US. The rest is overseas.

HomeBizHope
08-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the comments Liz! :)

Accents - do you know what parts of the world the rest of your jewelry is made in?

I guess it would be tough to find jewelry 100% made in the US, but it will be a factor if/when I jump into that type of business again.

Gee, I'm wondering if others saw this post and were afraid to let people know where their products come from....?

nv93446
08-16-2013, 09:24 PM
There are jewelry companies made only in the US. There are definitely tons of products made overseas and I think Liz did a great job explaining Silpada's philosophies. I'm a huge fan of American made companies and products made here but knowing it's not always possible.

HomeBizHope
08-17-2013, 02:35 PM
MaryBeth,
I didn't know Willow House had a jewelry line! It's very beautiful, but unfortunately way out of my price range! :(

Erin Barnes
08-17-2013, 07:52 PM
South Hill Designs chains are made in the US! But our lockets are still made in china.

cabimom
08-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Liz is absolutely correct and not to mention the USA doesn't have every resource here such as certain gemstones etc. They would have to come from somewhere other than the USA.

Let's use diamonds as an example, the DeBeers corporation has a stranglehold on diamonds. Those are mostly mined in Africa and not always in the greatest conditions. Since I did research on this years ago I am hoping those conditions have improved. However, DeBeers controls the supply and demand and therefore the pricing.

The questions I would ask would be: "who are your suppliers and where is the jewelry manufactured- also who controls those working conditions and oversees the safety of metals (lead, nickel etc) and the safety of employees?" :)

If it is the job market that is a concern when searching, just as Liz mentioned, most of these jewelry companies employ many people to sort and pack orders, office workers, marketing people, etc and then there is the actual sales force. Those are all positives! :) :)

JodiO
08-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Origami Owl's Tagged Collection is 100% made in the USA.

Our Living Locket Collection is manufactured overseas in Asia.

indygirl
08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Our Jewelry is made in USA with recycled materials from other countries including Africa. It is Eco resin jewelry that encapsulated materials such as sequins, grasses ,silks mohair, etc...you can check out the jewelry in my signature below....hope this helps!

Donna Taylor
09-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Madison Jewelers providing beautiful designer, unique, exciting pieces and finest quality jewelry. It's jewelry made in the USA.

ts4vibella
11-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Vi Bella jewelry is handmade by women in Haiti, Mexico and US. Most of our jewelry is crafted using recycled materials such as plastic bottles, metal bottle caps, old paper, etc. The decision to make jewelry using recycled materials was made to encourage Haitians to clean up the littered landscape that exists in many parts of their beautiful island country. Our signature Vi Bella recycled plastic bottle beads are made by cutting plastic bottles (which have been cleaned thoroughly), into strips. The strips are painted, rolled up, and heated to retain their new shape. The handmade, recycled beads are combined with other jewelry components to create stunning, unique fashion jewelry. Vi Bella Mission Statement -“Sharing the love of Christ by providing life changing jobs to those in need.”
Our Theme Verse- “I (Jesus Christ) came that they may have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10b

Beth's ViBella
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Our jewelry is made out of beads imported from the US and recycled products from Haiti and Mexico. All imported back to the US and sold by ViBella consultants. Most jewelry carry a mix of Haitian and Mexican beads with the US beads. Some just Haitian and Mexican. It's the best of both worlds, being a blessing to both America, Haiti and Mexico. Giving jobs to both ladies South of the border and North of the border. :D

lissababy123
11-14-2013, 07:09 PM
I am a consultant for ViBella Jewelry and our jewelry is made in Haiti and Mexico mainly. Its made by at risk women to give them a real job and for them to be able to provide for their family. Also the jewelry is part made from recycled material!

Melissa
ViBella Jewelry Consultant
South Dakota

lissababy123
11-14-2013, 07:10 PM
TO add to my last reply...also a mission based business that gives back more then just paying their daily wages

debcottage
11-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi Lori, That is a good question to ask because I love the fact that the company that I am with, Azuli Skye Jewelry, makes almost all of their products here in the United States. There are only 2 small lines from our catalog with over 1,000 pieces, that are made elsewhere. This is very important to our CEO/Founder, who is awesome. One small line has hand made glass from Czech and the other has hand made floral pieces from a South Pacific Island. Everything else is made here, with a portion of our pieces handcrafted in house. You should check out the company because it is an excellent time to get in with them. I am the only one in my state and I have been the top national salesperson 2 times already in just 7 months. I am not even a salesperson but it is so easy because everyone loves the unique, great quality pieces and they are affordable. You can contact me if you have any more questions. Thanks for the question. very interesting to know!

myriamsboutique1
12-12-2013, 11:34 PM
USA Made Jewelry of Rhode Island is Dedicated to selling the large collection of
medals, pendants and pins handmade from quality materials at Bliss Manufacturing
located in Rhode Island.And adornments by Milani of California makes handcrafted and Personalized Jewelry.

NICEInTheUSA
01-17-2014, 01:21 PM
We are an affiliate of company that has been designing an farbicating 18K gold jewelry in Guadalajara Mexico for over 80 years, now exporting to 27 countries. They are the largest designers / fabricators of gold jewlery in the world. In 1996, they started NICE, a direct selling company in Mexico whcih soon becamse number 1, then Columbia, Costra Rica, and just last year NICE has come into the USA market as NICEInTheUSA with an office in San Antonio, Tx. Almost no does this business in the USA yet. What we like is that no in the USA is dong this business. NICE has over 1000 jewlery items, and part of jewlery is changed every 4 months so the designs are always contemporary. Personally, I avoid buying anything from China... my experience is that it is just never quality, it is just cheap
Teresa ...

Gina_Bell
01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
This is from our website:

How/Where Our Products Are Made

Most of our costume/fashion jewelry components are made overseas, as there are few (if any) manufacturers of those components in America. Once we buy the components we have our jewelry artisans assemble them here in the U.S.A. We have worked very hard to keep jobs in America and hope that you will appreciate the quality we offer!

Our line is very affordable, fun and interchangeable. :)

raghavgems
01-28-2014, 11:30 PM
We manufacture jewelry in India

NICEInTheUSA
01-29-2014, 05:40 AM
Sometimes an artisan can be the best, but if the purchase inferior materials, then the the quality of the jewelry will suffer. Personally, we do not buy anything from China, but we do get our pearls from Japan, and shop the world for the finest materials (gemstones, crystals, natural stones... etc). Our company, NICE, designs and fabricates fine fashion18K gold jewelry (i.e., gold layered over metal 4 X) gives a full warranty, and has a history of doing so for over 80 years. The company (NICE) has been the leading international gold jewelry company since 2008 in sales and growth, and just entered the USA in October 2013. The gold is mined in Mexico, and all jewelry is designed and hand finished in Guadalajara, Mexico by skilled artisans, and then exported to more than 27 countries. I know other companies in the USA get their jewlery made at NICE and then sell it in their catalogs at a more than twice the price.

NICE 18K Gold Jewelry, visit us at

NICEInTheUSA (http://www.NICEInTheUSA.com)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1