WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

aec2003
08-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a teaching license, but haven't been able to find a teaching position. I have always loved photography and have a DSLR. I am thinking about trying to find a photography position but I'm not sure where I should start and how to tell if a company is legit. One thing I've thought about is real estate photography. Ex: taking pictures of houses for sale (ex: Onsource but not sure if this company is legit or is a good company to work for). Another idea I had was getting started with newborn photography, where you work as a sales photographer for a company taking pictures at the hospital. I would love to start my own photography business but I think that I need a background in photography first. Has anyone tried any of these routes or should I be looking somewhere else? I also have Photoshop Elements 7 and Photoshop CS2 and would be willing to do retouching if anyone knows of any jobs requiring that. Thanks for any ideas!

lorah
08-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi! TommyH is the real estate photography go to person. I wish I could help with other places looking to hire photographers but I honestly don't know of any. I shoot for pleasure right now but hope to one day have my own business. I'd like to do newborn photography but not at the hospital. The kind in the studio where they are dressed in adorable props. I would also like to do pet photography but I don't have the equipment for either one of these endeavors. Wishing you the best of luck finding something.

TommyH
08-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a teaching license, but haven't been able to find a teaching position. I have always loved photography and have a DSLR. I am thinking about trying to find a photography position but I'm not sure where I should start and how to tell if a company is legit. One thing I've thought about is real estate photography. Ex: taking pictures of houses for sale (ex: Onsource but not sure if this company is legit or is a good company to work for). Another idea I had was getting started with newborn photography, where you work as a sales photographer for a company taking pictures at the hospital. I would love to start my own photography business but I think that I need a background in photography first. Has anyone tried any of these routes or should I be looking somewhere else? I also have Photoshop Elements 7 and Photoshop CS2 and would be willing to do retouching if anyone knows of any jobs requiring that. Thanks for any ideas!

Welcome to forum.

What kind of camera equipment do you have? Once I know what you have I can maybe send or point you to some places to look into.

If you are looking to get into real estate you will need a wide angle lens. I use the Tokina 11-16mm lens. There are a few companies that I have worked with to get you started. They don't pay much but it gets your feet wet. Gives you an idea if you want to pursue it further or on your own. Just read the agreements they have carefully. Even though these are start up places they require some specific equipment.

I have seen the our365 ads on craigslist. I don't have any personal experience with them though. Just wasn't sure how I would fit in to that scene being a male, in someones delivery room to take photos of people who don't know me and not sure how much time you have to build a relationship with the expecting family. If it was my family or friend no biggie lol. So I don't know if they require any special equipment or provide you with some. I feel though companies like these are more about the sales of the print or digital packages. But it can be a good experience to build a portfolio or try that type of photography.

MonaT
08-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Wish you luck. Are you still looking?

miyukisarah
08-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Find a photographer to shadow! They'll teach you the ropes :)

rbarrett68
08-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Good luck! I hope you find something that fits, I just love photography!..:)

Rhonda

aec2003
08-25-2013, 08:21 PM
I have an Olympus E-500, tripod, and 2 lenses. I'm still looking but in the meantime, trying to take me & my fiancés engagement pictures!

AndrewW
08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I have an Olympus E-500, tripod, and 2 lenses. I'm still looking but in the meantime, trying to take me & my fiancés engagement pictures!

Sounds close to mine, E-520 here. Tripod, ball head, 2 lenses (14-42, 70-300), circular polarizer, spare battery (though never actually used it).

aec2003
08-25-2013, 09:51 PM
What type of photography do you do?

AndrewW
08-25-2013, 11:49 PM
What type of photography do you do?

Ah just as a hobby. More landscapes then anything else I guess.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1