WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : information

happiness_usefull
07-29-2013, 04:18 PM
hi all. i am currently with a jewelry company that has it's good and bad, but i have been thinking for a good while about quitting and trying a different company. i really hate to quit something, not just because i have spent time and money into it, but because i would like to prove some of my friends who were not supportive, that it was workable. this is very frustrating. some of the new companies i am curious about:

~South Hill Designs (i like the lower start up cost, however I was not aware they are so new and that is probably a deal breaker for me. Origami Owl, who wants to wait that long?? beyond me.)

~ Lia Sophia (I like that you get your moneys worth on the kit. However online the reviews are all horror stories about the quality of the jewelry. And the price point is high as well, even with the special. That worries me. Also their websites for online sales are not as good as some.)

~Silpada (I like that it's not plated, I like that the start up price is good for what you get. However, I already have trouble with my current companies price point.)

~Stella & Dot (the current company I am with, price point is considered ridiculous in my area for costume jewelry. Also about half of all my orders the past few months have resulted in returns/replacements because of the quality. This is embarrassing! at the same time, I don't want to quit, I want to make it work. )

does anyone have honest opinions on their company?

NCMommie
07-29-2013, 04:54 PM
South Hill Designs is newer but they are growing like crazy..I guess people are tired of waiting. The quality is very good and working on getting everything USA made. I am a part time dist with them.

I also am with Color By Amber which is a newer company as well.. all recycled materials in the jewelry and they have artist all over the world that make the materials in the jewelry. Very interesting story. I can fill you in more if you would like.

With any jewelry company there will/can be issues. Most is not your high end jewelry it is costume pieces.

KNicholls
07-29-2013, 06:30 PM
I also love the products with South Hill Designs. Quality isn't an issue for our things. You mentioned Lia Sophia and I also love their products, although the price point is high on it. Same with Silpada, beautiful pieces but a higher price point.

I agree with Natalie, ANY company can have challenges. I believe success comes from finding what we're passionate about and then consistently working the business.

happiness_usefull
07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Right yes of course there will be good and bad with everything however if a product is just not good quality and customer service and pricing is not up to par then really your passion can only take you so far.

Amber1002
07-30-2013, 05:44 AM
I noticed Paparazzi Accessories isn't on the list, and just wanted to chime in and ask if you are familiar with us? We are often referred to as "the $5 jewelry company." We sell fashion jewelry and everything is priced at $5 or less. When I first learned of Paparazzi, I remember thinking "Yea right. If it's $5, I am sure it's terrible and ugly." LOL! About a year later, I ran into Paparazzi again and am SO glad that I did. I am really impressed by the quality of our items! Plus, at $5, customers tend to buy several items at once. One of the biggest perks, for me, is that we don't take customer orders or distribute catalogs. It's all "cash and carry." Let me know if you (or anyone else) would like more info. Good luck on your decision! :)

LindtsbyLisa
07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
While there is a wait with Origami Owl, the wait is worth it! We also have some exciting new patent pending products as well as trade marked charms that will be unique to Origami Owl and no other company will be able to duplicate it. Do not let the wait prevent you from joining. While you wait, you can work with your mentor to start earning your kit, you can learn and train so when you become official, you can hit the ground running. Our products sell themselves, we have a GREAT profit margin and easy to understand compensation plan.

LindtsbyLisa
07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Also...know that Origami Owl has not spent ONE penny on advertising. No banner click ads, google ads or FB ads. It has grown based on the people who are a part of the company, their passion for their product and their mission to be a force for good:)

almarosa
07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm with Mialisia and it took me awhile to sign up because you can't see the quality or the concept of the jewelry from the pictures/videos online. There was an event in town and I was able to see the jewelry even before the launch of Mialisia. Seeing it and playing with it sealed the deal for me.

Although, with anything you will have some pieces that are less than perfect, that will break, or have issues that isn't just with jewelry... it's with all products. I for one wouldn't like to be in a position of having to return items on a regular basis due to poor quality or craftsmanship so I totallly understand where you are coming from.

It reflects poorly on you as a consultant even though you didn't put it together! I would just suggest maybe trying to see the jewelry first hand put it on, play with it, etc before you sign up with another company and invest more money into it.

I am truly confident that Mialisia has top quality jewelry and they back it with a lifetime guarantee. we also offer a patent pending concept, there isn't anything like our Versastyle jewelry out there. The price point is reasonable and you're are paying for more than 1 piece since it is so versatile.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck and if you wish to discuss Mialisia further I'd be more than happy to chat with you.

liz.jewels
07-30-2013, 12:32 PM
I know a few reps with Stella & Dot and there are a lot of similarities between the companies. Overall, it seems like a good business, but obviously I prefer Silpada, since that's my company.

Just a few notes on Silpada...

The jewelry is the real deal - sterling silver, handcrafted - some pieces take days to make and are touched by over 10 different artisans
Everything has a lifetime manufacturer's guarantee, and no one (not the rep nor the customer) is charged shipping on a return/exchange
There are price points for everyone - sterling pieces under $25 and more than half the catalog under $75. The expensive pieces are a way to encourage women to host parties and get them free or half-price, and prices compare VERY favorably to competitor's pieces from places like Tiffany or Sundance.
Training is absolutely awesome, and free. You can even get coaching direct from corporate if you'd like, so if you are struggling with your business, you can get help!
Ownership - our founders just bought us back and I feel great about what that means for the longevity of the company.
Customer service is TOP NOTCH! They are so good to us and our customers. I have never had a problem that couldn't be resolved by calling customer service.

This is a great time to be considering Silpada, as our new catalog just came out, and customers and reps can benefit from a sale on the new pieces plus the clearance sale on some of our charms. If you have specific questions I can answer, let me know.

Crissy
07-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi,
I have been with lia sophia for 6 years now. Last year I did 55 parties and sold about $40,000 in jewelry. You have some great concerns that I think I can put to rest for you.
I average about 1 -2 returns per month. And our company has a 3% return rate. Most of my returns are from rings that have been worn for quit a while and the finish has come off or stones have come out. The rest of my returns are normally from normal wear and tear. What i love about lia sophia is that a customer from 2 years ago just contacted me because her necklace broke. She was able to return it and get a new one for just a $5 handling fee!

I do not pay attention to the online horror stories. We are one of the oldest jewelry companies and so therefore there is going to be more negative stories online about us than about others. I pay attention to my customers who tell me all the time that we are the best.

As you stated, our start up is amazing!!! $149 for $1,200 worth of jewelry and supplies. Plus, with our new Smart Start Program you can earn an additional $800 in jewelry of your choice.

I love lia sophia because:
They are always giving us incentives to earn FREE things. These are NOT just for Rockstars! Many girls on my team do 1-2 shows a month and can earn these too!
In the last 2 months we earned the cover piece, 5 bracelets and a starter kit! This does not include the jewelry premiums that we earn every month.

Our guest special is fabulous!!! We have 300 items under $55! Every month our customers get to purchase 2 items at regular price and get up to 4 HIGHER priced at 50% off. And for 3 weeks this month when they purchase $80 worth they get any one item $55 or less for just $5!!! These specials are what make our average sale $75.

But our hostess rewards are what keep people booking! They can not be beat.
20-40% in free jewelry (40% for $15 with 10 orders and 2 bookings)
5 items at 50% off (goes into sales and we get paid on these too)
4 items at hostess price (up to 85% off)
This month with a $500 show you get an extra $100 for $5 or with a $750 you get $150 for $5!

The only thing that I complain about is that we don't hear about these specials until the first day of that month. That drives me nuts!

I am not a huge fan of our online ordering but I know that they are working to improve it. And direct shipping is coming also.

Good luck in your decision. I will pm you if you would like more info:)

happiness_usefull
07-30-2013, 06:36 PM
I noticed Paparazzi Accessories isn't on the list, and just wanted to chime in and ask if you are familiar with us? We are often referred to as "the $5 jewelry company." We sell fashion jewelry and everything is priced at $5 or less. When I first learned of Paparazzi, I remember thinking "Yea right. If it's $5, I am sure it's terrible and ugly." LOL! About a year later, I ran into Paparazzi again and am SO glad that I did. I am really impressed by the quality of our items! Plus, at $5, customers tend to buy several items at once. One of the biggest perks, for me, is that we don't take customer orders or distribute catalogs. It's all "cash and carry." Let me know if you (or anyone else) would like more info. Good luck on your decision! :)

hi amber, thanks for your response. i have checked into your company however for me thats a lot to invest into cash and carry. my funds are limited for starter kits, otherwise i would be more interested in paparazzi. thanks so much

happiness_usefull
07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
I know a few reps with Stella & Dot and there are a lot of similarities between the companies. Overall, it seems like a good business, but obviously I prefer Silpada, since that's my company.

Just a few notes on Silpada...

The jewelry is the real deal - sterling silver, handcrafted - some pieces take days to make and are touched by over 10 different artisans
Everything has a lifetime manufacturer's guarantee, and no one (not the rep nor the customer) is charged shipping on a return/exchange
There are price points for everyone - sterling pieces under $25 and more than half the catalog under $75. The expensive pieces are a way to encourage women to host parties and get them free or half-price, and prices compare VERY favorably to competitor's pieces from places like Tiffany or Sundance.
Training is absolutely awesome, and free. You can even get coaching direct from corporate if you'd like, so if you are struggling with your business, you can get help!
Ownership - our founders just bought us back and I feel great about what that means for the longevity of the company.
Customer service is TOP NOTCH! They are so good to us and our customers. I have never had a problem that couldn't be resolved by calling customer service.

This is a great time to be considering Silpada, as our new catalog just came out, and customers and reps can benefit from a sale on the new pieces plus the clearance sale on some of our charms. If you have specific questions I can answer, let me know.

hi liz, thanks for your points. yes i believe stella & dot and silpada are really similar from what i know in regards to their compensation and maybe even hostess plan, i am not sure. it is a really great company, but the price point keeps going up and it seems the quality keeps going down. i don't know if thats because corporate is so focused on expanding to new countries or what. we do not have a lifetime guarantee though my sponsor tells people we do, which is not true. i will have to check out the jewelry, i was under the assumption that it was really expensive, as i own some sterling silver and my market cannot afford the pieces i own. (it's not silpada.) thanks so much for your response.

happiness_usefull
07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi,
I have been with lia sophia for 6 years now. Last year I did 55 parties and sold about $40,000 in jewelry. You have some great concerns that I think I can put to rest for you.
I average about 1 -2 returns per month. And our company has a 3% return rate. Most of my returns are from rings that have been worn for quit a while and the finish has come off or stones have come out. The rest of my returns are normally from normal wear and tear. What i love about lia sophia is that a customer from 2 years ago just contacted me because her necklace broke. She was able to return it and get a new one for just a $5 handling fee!

I do not pay attention to the online horror stories. We are one of the oldest jewelry companies and so therefore there is going to be more negative stories online about us than about others. I pay attention to my customers who tell me all the time that we are the best.

As you stated, our start up is amazing!!! $149 for $1,200 worth of jewelry and supplies. Plus, with our new Smart Start Program you can earn an additional $800 in jewelry of your choice.

I love lia sophia because:
They are always giving us incentives to earn FREE things. These are NOT just for Rockstars! Many girls on my team do 1-2 shows a month and can earn these too!
In the last 2 months we earned the cover piece, 5 bracelets and a starter kit! This does not include the jewelry premiums that we earn every month.

Our guest special is fabulous!!! We have 300 items under $55! Every month our customers get to purchase 2 items at regular price and get up to 4 HIGHER priced at 50% off. And for 3 weeks this month when they purchase $80 worth they get any one item $55 or less for just $5!!! These specials are what make our average sale $75.

But our hostess rewards are what keep people booking! They can not be beat.
20-40% in free jewelry (40% for $15 with 10 orders and 2 bookings)
5 items at 50% off (goes into sales and we get paid on these too)
4 items at hostess price (up to 85% off)
This month with a $500 show you get an extra $100 for $5 or with a $750 you get $150 for $5!

The only thing that I complain about is that we don't hear about these specials until the first day of that month. That drives me nuts!

I am not a huge fan of our online ordering but I know that they are working to improve it. And direct shipping is coming also.

Good luck in your decision. I will pm you if you would like more info:)

hi crissy, yes i agree that lia sophia has everyone beat on the hostess program. i also like that you earn jewelry premiums and get a great personal discount. one should not go broke buying samples. i am glad to hear direct shipping is coming also, as some of the things i read online were people being upset about paying for shipping when everything goes to the hostess.

liz.jewels
07-31-2013, 12:32 AM
hi liz, thanks for your points. yes i believe stella & dot and silpada are really similar from what i know in regards to their compensation and maybe even hostess plan, i am not sure. it is a really great company, but the price point keeps going up and it seems the quality keeps going down. i don't know if thats because corporate is so focused on expanding to new countries or what. we do not have a lifetime guarantee though my sponsor tells people we do, which is not true. i will have to check out the jewelry, i was under the assumption that it was really expensive, as i own some sterling silver and my market cannot afford the pieces i own. (it's not silpada.) thanks so much for your response.

I'd be happy to send you a catalog if you'd like! I just helped a customer pick out a gift for her SIL - she chose a gorgeous solid sterling necklace that is an everyday classic for $49. The reputation of Silpada is that the jewelry is expensive, but it is a great value and there is something at every price point. Plus, I love when women who know quality show up at a party and scoop up a bargain statement piece for $250 that would cost twice that from a department store, Tiffany's, or Sundance. And it happens more than you would guess. My last party I had one woman who was thrilled with her $350 purchase because it was a great deal.

Just a few other notes - we just redid our hostess program so it now only requires 6 orders and $500 min in sales to get $150 in free jewelry and 2 half-price items with no other cost - no shipping, no buying bigger discounts, etc. At $1000 in sales, that's $300 in free jewelry and they get another half-price item. And from there, they bump up to $35 in free jewelry for every additional $100 in sales. The simplicity of the program is very appealing and ladies like that their benefits are focused on free jewelry. With some companies, women can shell out quite a lot of money to redeem their benefits, but with Silpada, free is free.

Also, there are bonus free jewelry incentives every Jan and Feb, and the last two years there has also been a summer incentive for hostesses. These have been great incentives to book!

Finally, Silpada has no quotas to remain active, and the website is included in the annual renewal fee of $149 (which gets you $100 in jewelry or supplies, so it's really like paying only $49 for everything else).

happiness_usefull
07-31-2013, 05:17 PM
I'd be happy to send you a catalog if you'd like! I just helped a customer pick out a gift for her SIL - she chose a gorgeous solid sterling necklace that is an everyday classic for $49. The reputation of Silpada is that the jewelry is expensive, but it is a great value and there is something at every price point. Plus, I love when women who know quality show up at a party and scoop up a bargain statement piece for $250 that would cost twice that from a department store, Tiffany's, or Sundance. And it happens more than you would guess. My last party I had one woman who was thrilled with her $350 purchase because it was a great deal.

Just a few other notes - we just redid our hostess program so it now only requires 6 orders and $500 min in sales to get $150 in free jewelry and 2 half-price items with no other cost - no shipping, no buying bigger discounts, etc. At $1000 in sales, that's $300 in free jewelry and they get another half-price item. And from there, they bump up to $35 in free jewelry for every additional $100 in sales. The simplicity of the program is very appealing and ladies like that their benefits are focused on free jewelry. With some companies, women can shell out quite a lot of money to redeem their benefits, but with Silpada, free is free.

Also, there are bonus free jewelry incentives every Jan and Feb, and the last two years there has also been a summer incentive for hostesses. These have been great incentives to book!

Finally, Silpada has no quotas to remain active, and the website is included in the annual renewal fee of $149 (which gets you $100 in jewelry or supplies, so it's really like paying only $49 for everything else).

hi liz, sure i'd love to see a catalog. i will PM you. the hostess program sounds great. 6 orders sounds like a lot but then again that's probably a good thing because it will encourage the hostess to get the attendance up. so no shipping for the hostess?? that's amazing!! glad to hear there are no quotas to remain active. stella & dot's renewal is $59 but you don't get anything for it. well, i guess it's for the back office. but you have to pay for your website still ($99) which is a bit high to me even though the website is great.

is there a quota to maintain your discount privelege? at SD, we have to sell $250 every quarter now to get our 50% 4 times a year. otherwise we get 25% discount. also, how much do you invest with each new line for samples? thanks very much.

dharper1205
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
There are many jewelry suppliers that offer online jewelry. Have you looked into starting your own company. I started mine Pretty in Pynk Online Boutique. I have done well here. I also sell on marketplaces which bring you better traffic. There are wholesale market places online that offer a variety of jewelry and other products.

ABmomandS&Dstylist
08-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey:)
I'm also a S&D stylist:) Just signed up recently though....Think back to what made you sign up to begin with. maybe give it some more time:) S & D has the most awesome training for stylists. The jewelry is celebrity endorsed and beautiful.
Good-luck:)

liz.jewels
08-11-2013, 03:29 AM
hi liz, sure i'd love to see a catalog. i will PM you. the hostess program sounds great. 6 orders sounds like a lot but then again that's probably a good thing because it will encourage the hostess to get the attendance up. so no shipping for the hostess?? that's amazing!! glad to hear there are no quotas to remain active. stella & dot's renewal is $59 but you don't get anything for it. well, i guess it's for the back office. but you have to pay for your website still ($99) which is a bit high to me even though the website is great.

is there a quota to maintain your discount privelege? at SD, we have to sell $250 every quarter now to get our 50% 4 times a year. otherwise we get 25% discount. also, how much do you invest with each new line for samples? thanks very much.

No quotas for the regular 30% discount, and any rep can get the 50% off, but if she hasn't had a party in the previous 90 days to the discount period, she is limited to 20 pieces at that price. If she has had a party or similar volume, she can get up to 2 of every piece on the catalog at that price.

With each release, I have a retired jewelry party to sell off samples and then reinvest that money in new pieces. I end up spending between $300-500 at each release, but again, it's money I make from selling pieces.

And yes, I love the hostess program. Plus, there are lower tiers, so even a hostess with just 3 guest orders can get a little free jewelry and a half-price item. That works great to entice women to do mini book parties to get an expensive piece they love at a discount. If the orders come in well, sometime they get to the six and get it free instead!

I used to be with another DS company, and what I will say about Silpada's training is that I remember thinking how much more successful I would have been had I known what I learned as a Silpada Designs rep! The training really is top-notch.

If there are other questions I can answer for you, just ask! I missed these because I have been at the beach with family (and without wifi)!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1