WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Supermoon

AndrewW
06-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Don't be surprised if the night sky seems a little brighter than usual this weekend. The moon will also look a lot larger than a typical night because, starting on Saturday, a so-called supermoon will be occurring.

How to watch this weekend's supermoon - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57590455/how-to-watch-this-weekends-supermoon/)

Could be especially photogenic.

lorah
06-22-2013, 11:18 AM
My plan is to attempt a few shots and see what happens! Hope the storms stay away

danasurvey
06-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm going to try getting a few pictures too. Hope it's not too cloudy.

TommyH
06-23-2013, 07:48 AM
I tried yesterday at moon rise but too many clouds. Got up early for setting moon over the city and again too many clouds on horizon to see it.

I know it wont be a "supermoon" but might try some shots of the next full moon July 24ish or Aug 21.

AndrewW
06-23-2013, 08:42 AM
I tried yesterday at moon rise but too many clouds. Got up early for setting moon over the city and again too many clouds on horizon to see it.

Was nice and clear here.

AndrewW
06-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Here's what I got:

http://www.wuala.com/AndrewW/Images/Space/Moon%2006-23-2013/p6231356-small.png/

I think this one came out a little better then the one I took last year.

Anyone else?

Jeupi
06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Great photo! For some reason every time I try to take a picture of the moon it seems to go horribly wrong. I didn't even try this year, but it look really cool when we were checking it out Sunday. When is the next? 14 or so years?

AndrewW
06-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Great photo! For some reason every time I try to take a picture of the moon it seems to go horribly wrong. I didn't even try this year, but it look really cool when we were checking it out Sunday. When is the next? 14 or so years?

Thanks. What happens with yours?

Moon distance for Los Angeles, U.S.A. - California in year 2013 (http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/distance.html)

No need to wait that long.

TommyH
06-28-2013, 05:48 AM

Def tell us what happened with your shot maybe we can help you out. Supermoons happen I think like every 400 or so days so there is a chance every year. However there is a full moon at least once a month you can practice on. Good tip is to shoot the moon when it's at the horizon or close to it as it appears to be bigger whether it's a supermoon or just a regular full moon.

christent04
07-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Here's what I got:

http://www.wuala.com/AndrewW/Images/Space/Moon%2006-23-2013/p6231356-small.png/

I think this one came out a little better then the one I took last year.

Anyone else?

Wow, that's a nice shot. My shots came out okay (I guess nice, I mean, they look like the moon at least and not a bright blur) after I figured out the settings. They aren't nearly as nice as that though. Did you add any layers or edit the picture?

I'm still in the amateur phase with my camera. I just started working with manual mode and I'm trying to learn all I can about it before I invest in a really nice camera with the works (lens, lighting, etc.)

I have pictures of how bright the moon was when it was behind the clouds. It looks almost like the sun and completely lit the entire beach with lots of light. It was beautiful.

AndrewW
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow, that's a nice shot. My shots came out okay (I guess nice, I mean, they look like the moon at least and not a bright blur) after I figured out the settings. They aren't nearly as nice as that though. Did you add any layers or edit the picture?

No layers. Just converted from raw (also adjust for brightness / contrast / saturation in that step, though in this case didn't add any saturation or much contrast). Used an unsharp mask to bring out the details better and that's it.

I'm still in the amateur phase with my camera. I just started working with manual mode and I'm trying to learn all I can about it before I invest in a really nice camera with the works (lens, lighting, etc.)

Sounds like a good plan.

I have pictures of how bright the moon was when it was behind the clouds. It looks almost like the sun and completely lit the entire beach with lots of light. It was beautiful.

Looks nice there, can see some details not one of those that is just a white blob.

lorah
07-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Beautiful Shots Andrew and Crystal! My nighttime shots always come out terrible.

AndrewW
07-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Beautiful Shots Andrew and Crystal! My nighttime shots always come out terrible.

Thanks, mine don't always come out.

AndrewW
11-12-2016, 11:35 PM
It's about that time again.

Ran across this:

Weather permitting, on Sunday, Nov. 13 and Monday, Nov. 14, you’ll be treated to a showstopper supermoon that will be the closest moon to Earth in almost 70 years.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/shoot-the-supermoon-like-a-pro

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1