WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Thinking of selling Mary Kay

bech05
06-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Hello,

I was interested in starting to sell Mary Kay. The only problem is I really don't have many friends, just a few family members who said they might buy if I decided to start. My question is how do you find or meet new people to build up a customer base? Any help would be great! I scheduled a Las Vegas legs party to help me earn my kit, however I only have me and my sister coming which doesn't make for a big party.

LemongrassMommy
06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I would say do a book party with friends/family, and let your gold canyon customers know that you are considering selling it. If you don't get much response then maybe it just isn't time to jump in now.

bech05
06-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the response. I don't actually sell Gold Canyon anymore, I just came back on to this site for the first time in awhile. It would be awesome if I had the people to sell to, I just feel like the lady I use is really pressuring me to do it so I'm kind of stuck on if I really want to or not.

LemongrassMommy
06-10-2013, 05:15 PM
don't ever sell anything because someone pressures you! If she doesn't stop I would say get another rep. Good grief! Make it clear to her that this is not a good time for you to start selling, but you love the products and will continue to use them and leave it at that!

bech05
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about it. I think I might just wait until the end of summer and then decide. I took off from work (I only work part-time at Target) for the whole month of July since my sister is coming home for the first time in 2 years. I'll let you know what I decide!

Gutie
06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Don't sign up if you are feeling pressured... but if it is something you are really interested in then go for it. Mary Kay actually has really great training programs and we teach you how to meet new people. It all depends on your comfort zone, but many are very do-able. Good luck!

Care4Mom
06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
A good way that you may be able to gather new connections is if you start off with some sort of launch. And invite your friends and family but make it big! Create little invites or e-vites to pass out. This way your friends can invite their friends and family and your family can also invite their friends. And you want to make it something where people do not think they need to spend money on your make up to show up. After all - your main focus right now is connections.

An idea for this would be to set up a dinner date, so book a restaurant or hall in your area, have everyone bring $$ to pay for their own dinner and encourage them to bring one piece of cosmetics that they have but never use. Give them an incentive, offer 30% off a new product if they trade in their old one or something like that. But advertise with a few games and a dinning night out with the ladies, this way people do not feel obligated to spend money if they come. This way you can get a few contacts and hopefully even a few sales with your incentive.

Nikki82103
06-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I hope you and your sister have a great time!

Only do it if you feel good about it!

BobbieC
07-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking of joining the business as well. I have a ton of free time after my morning work and have a ton of make up buddies.

Gutie
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking of joining the business as well. I have a ton of free time after my morning work and have a ton of make up buddies.

Awesome. Now is a great time to join! Welcome.

i♥marketing
07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I used to sell Mary Kay part-time. A good way to meet new people is to set up a booth in front of a women's store that is travelled to often just before Mother's Day for example.

Make a classified ad;
Set up a booth at a local restaurant (with their permission) and offer free sample bags with surveys to get phone numbers;
College parties;
Go to all the female type stores and ask if you can put a free facial box up and once a week go to see if anyone filled out the card;
Post your business cards everywhere its allowed;
Make a facebook page solely for your MK;
Once a week when you are sitting down for lunch or dinner someone, approach a sharp looking lady and ask if you can give her a facial and maybe she would like to buy the products you offer;
If at a party people say your products are too expensive, make a deal with them. If they give you 10 names and numbers you will give them the products at 25% off;

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Crystal

Tell Life's Story
07-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Ok, so if someone is pressuring you now to join. It is only going to get worse. I have a friend who just started selling MK and is having the same issues with leads. It is hard when there are so many folks out there who sell it for the discount and giving the discounts to their friends. I have two friends I can get it from for what they pay. So I wasn't going to buy it for full price from the third friend. Sorry if I am offending lots of MK folks, but I am sure you can all relate as you have heard... oh, I get that from my friend. Not trying to start a war, just trying to show the possibilities that can happen.

If you want to get into direct sales... GREAT! Do something that you are passionate about. Not someone else. My mentor (for a different company) is a no pressure laid back chick. I would probably have run the other direction had she been pressuring me. If you are still interested in selling MK... go for it... but my suggestion. Look for someone who isn't going to hound you and ask every day what your sales have been. It isn't fun. Promise! Good luck and whatever decision you make. Just follow your gut feeling!

~
Julie

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1