WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Questions about joining

acetraee
06-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I am researching a few different companies that I might want to join so I'm looking for some information. I have sold with party plans before so I'm looking for information about the business supply costs. Catalogs, mini catalogs, order forms and anything else I would need to order from the company. I was also wondering if anyone makes a real income from selling? I'm a stay at home mom and would like to be able to bring in a decent amount of money around my family's schedule. I really like the idea of basket parties. Do you find them worth it or do you have a difficult time with people giving all the testers back? What are the restrictions if I would sell for another noncompeting company too?

Erica Chaves Sandwall
06-04-2013, 12:42 AM
99 gets you enough product to get your business off the road. We start off at making 20% until you reach lifetime sales of $1000...when you hit the $1000 you will start making 25% on sales....many skip right over the 20% and hit the 25%. And when and if you get recruits you will have the potential to make a % of their sales. The only requirement to stay a consultant is to order at least $150 in sales in 1 month out of 3 months to stay in. To really make money you need to recruit, sell to friends/family and do vendor events. I have been in 2 yrs but am getting out in Jun 31. Sometimes you will have difficulty getting the testers back but I haven't had a problem with it. Not a problem selling with another DS company as long as it doesn't compete. You can not advertise on Social Media what you have pretty much you use what Scentsy or another consultant makes to advertise, can have a business page. In my opinion it is very oversaturated, some of the consultants are mean who as we called them "Scentsy Police" looking for anything you do wrong to report you to compliance. Good Luck with your decision and any questions please feel free to ask me.

I am researching a few different companies that I might want to join so I'm looking for some information. I have sold with party plans before so I'm looking for information about the business supply costs. Catalogs, mini catalogs, order forms and anything else I would need to order from the company. I was also wondering if anyone makes a real income from selling? I'm a stay at home mom and would like to be able to bring in a decent amount of money around my family's schedule. I really like the idea of basket parties. Do you find them worth it or do you have a difficult time with people giving all the testers back? What are the restrictions if I would sell for another noncompeting company too?

LAscents
06-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Good morning,

Catalogs & order forms are included with your starter kit. To purchase additional ones or the new seasonal ones (We release Scentsy Fragrance catalogs in March and September) they're currently 25/$10. We also have product lists, which are double sided one page summaries of all our products and scents run 150/$9, Join/Host brochures are 25/$3 and extra order forms are 100/$10. It's all top notch quality and much better use of your resources to invest in them vs. creating your own home made flyers which require corporate approval and look amateurish.

It is possible to earn a full time income with Scentsy. As a single parent I have been supporting my family with my Scentsy income for the last 5-6 years (I started in 2006). You get out of it what you put into it. Home parties are still the best way to get the most sales in the shortest amount of time but all the other alternatives (basket parties, online, vendor events, fundraisers, one on one, still are good platforms to build a strong business.

There are a variety of ways you can do basket parties. Some do them differently when they're local vs. long distance. Some use the corporate samples and get them back, others give the host samples to keep and melt and don't worry about getting them back. Lots of options.

You're free to sell for other direct sales companies (competing or noncompeting) you just may not market or sell them together.

acetraee
06-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Is there a certain point like when you become director or something that you have to become exclusive? For some reason I thought I read that somewhere. I have never heard anyone mentioning to have the hostess keep the samples. How do you do that, just send a piece of each bar? I know a lot of areas have a saturation of consultants. I think I have seen one car with a small Scentsy sticker but have never meet anyone selling or seen any marketing materials other than a town over when I had to go their for a doctors appointment. I'm not sure anyone is really marketing there business here. But that goes with almost any company in my town. We are nice sized with a college and I have yet to run into anyone directly or see anyone marketing. I don't think anyone who is selling is going all out which would leave room for me. I'm a stay at home mom with lots of time on my hands to devote to a business. I'm currently with Pure Romance and do well with that but I'm looking for something different. I need something I can involve my family in and be more proud of. I do know what I'm doing when it comes to party plans, I just want a different company. Some probably think I'm crazy to leave something I'm doing well with but all well.

Amber Rose
06-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Is there a certain point like when you become director or something that you have to become exclusive? For some reason I thought I read that somewhere. I have never heard anyone mentioning to have the hostess keep the samples. How do you do that, just send a piece of each bar? I know a lot of areas have a saturation of consultants. I think I have seen one car with a small Scentsy sticker but have never meet anyone selling or seen any marketing materials other than a town over when I had to go their for a doctors appointment. I'm not sure anyone is really marketing there business here. But that goes with almost any company in my town. We are nice sized with a college and I have yet to run into anyone directly or see anyone marketing. I don't think anyone who is selling is going all out which would leave room for me. I'm a stay at home mom with lots of time on my hands to devote to a business. I'm currently with Pure Romance and do well with that but I'm looking for something different. I need something I can involve my family in and be more proud of. I do know what I'm doing when it comes to party plans, I just want a different company. Some probably think I'm crazy to leave something I'm doing well with but all well.

We used to have a policy that stated you could not sell other "like" products, but we no longer have that and our Consultants are allowed to sell whatever they please. However, it is against compliance to cross-promote any other brands with Scentsy - that includes using your Scentsy contacts to solicit customers, as well as asking your team to buy from you.

I don't let my hostesses keep samples forever - I *do* loan out a mini-tester set (we can buy these through our Consultant Scentsy Family Store for $25 per set), and they are able to gather orders by letting friends/family smell those testers and choose their scents. I do make samples by cutting cubes of bars up with a crinkle cutter - those samples I give to customers/hostesses with the hope that they will warm them and I'll never see them again. Smelling is believing! :)

As far as saturation and multiple consultants - your observations are right on point! Even though there may be many consultants listed in one area, does not mean that those consultants are working their business. And, definitely doesn't lend itself to support a saturated market. For instance, I live in Idaho - Scentsy Capital of the world - and it's amazing how big of a business I have been able to build. There are always customers saying that they have been looking for a consultant, or that they are searching for someone new because of customer service issues. Your best business builder is great customer service - and your business will grow through referrals because of it!

A great thing for me, with Scentsy I *can* and *do* involve my family! My daughter and husband come to events with me - and my husband is even listed as a Consultant with me! I never thought I'd be able to work with and for a company who appreciates their consultants as much as Scentsy does. We have incentive trips, awards, monthly recognition, and huge recognition at our Family Reunion (convention)! In 12 days my husband and I get to leave for Hawaii for an entire week - on Scentsy's dime - because we worked hard and earned it!

Being on a great team with tons of support really matters, too. I love that I am able to support my team (in the US, Canada, and in the UK) with plenty of training, personalized information, and marketing materials - on top of what Scentsy provides for us on a corporate level.

I don't think you could go wrong with Scentsy - especially since it seems to fit exactly what you are looking for!

LAscents
06-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Saturation is a myth What To Do If Your Area is Saturdated | WAHM 2.0 (http://www.sparkplugging.com/wahm/what-to-do-if-your-area-is-saturated/)

Scent testers - so many people don't like to use borrowed testers because of all the hands and noses that have been on them and the germ factor. Plus you don't have to get them back or worry about them melting in warm cars if you just give them samples to keep and warm and experience. That way they can smell it cold and warmed if they choose. I just do online sales but the point being that my customers buy without having any scent testers, so it's not mandatory that everyone sniff first. Also if you're doing a basket party, where you are not present and it's a traveling party, then most buyers won't have the time to sniff all the scents anyway - so if you just give them a mix of each category or the favorites, you don't need to make samples of each scent. Most know what Cinnamon, strawberry, sandalwood, etc. smells like, so no sample testers of those needed either. Plus hosts like that they can keep the scents.

christyvw2004
06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I would say if you don't know a consultant and you love the product go for it! What do you have to loose..nothing. The starter kit is only $99 and has everything you will need to host your first of many parties. And is you are interested in basket parties and are not wanting to invest in the little basket testers you can always make some "pouch" baskets....
Hope to see you on board.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1