WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Silpada Fence Rider ?

bethbeads
05-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of signing on with Silpada, and have a rep I'd be working under. I plan on attending a Silpada evening event in a couple weeks, but I have some questions and wonder if I can get some answers to my questions from experienced reps. Any help would be appreciated.

I know you make what you put into the business. That being said, if I have a goal of making $1000 a month, is that a realistic/attainable goal? I see lots of people saying "I made $300 on my first party" or there was an article with someone quoted as saying "Sometimes I can make the mortgage payment." I expect that there is a cyclical element to month-to-month sales, but is there anyone that can say, "I've been selling Silpada for x years, and I average X per month in commissions."

I'm not able to invest a lot in jewelry right now. My rep has suggested it might be possible for me to borrow jewelry for shows from other reps in the area while I build me collection. Is that possible? How difficult is it to sell if you don't have a lot of inventory? I used to try to sell Usborne books, and I found that I spent all my profits from parties reinvesting in additional books. No one wanted to buy what they couldn't see/hold./touch.

I know that some leads come in from the National office. Do these leads tend to be productive? Is it unusual to get leads very often?

Sorry for all the questions, I know I sound like an information freak, but that's how I process and make decisions.

liz.jewels
05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi Beth!

I think you are so wise to try to get your questions answered before taking the plunge. Everyone is different and some of us just need all the details lined up, while others get excited and jump in with both feet and just figure it out as they go! Either way is fun, and it's really what works for you!

You asked some very specific compensation questions that we can't answer on this board, because the rules don't allow us to make income claims. Ask your sponsor to go over that with you - there's something called "the pencil test" that she can do with you that will help you understand your earnings potential. I do it with all of my prospects and it really helps them see what is possible for them. That being said, Silpada's average party has $1000 in sales, so you can do the math on that.

You asked about inventory and how much to have - I've seen women start out with hardly any pieces and do very well. If you can borrow pieces, that's great, but even if you can't, hardly anyone has every piece in the book as it is. The jewelry that comes with the sign-up kit should be enough for your first party. If you host, then you'll get your free jewelry from that. Plus, with the 100 Days to Greatness program, you have the opportunity to earn more free jewelry early in your business. So, if you work your business during those early days, you won't have to worry about how to build up your inventory.

Corporate leads come to people who have about 2 parties per month, which is not a lot to ask. Sometimes they lead to good things, and sometimes you mail a catalog, follow up, and don't hear back. I will say that I have found it beneficial to be in the leads program, but you can opt out if you don't want to be bothered with it. We tend to get leads in clusters, especially in months like this where we have a prominent ad in a national magazine. I'm sure we will hear from a lot of interested ladies this month, with having the back cover of Women's Day!

Feel free to ask any questions you have here, but be sure to ask your sponsor too. She will be your primary resource when you start your business, and she won't know what you need if she doesn't know what your questions and concerns are!

Hope you jump off that fence and into the sisterhood with the rest of us!

bethbeads
05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help, I must confess I'm a little impatient. I'm anxious to get off the fence and not very good at waiting for info.:)

liz.jewels
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
No worries, Beth! Happy to help you as well, but these questions are a great way to start building a fantastic relationship with your new sponsor.

I count my sponsor among my closest friends, and yet I was a corporate lead - I had never even met her before the party that I hosted before becoming a rep. But she is awesome and I really love that she is in my life. Hoping you develop that same kind of relationship with your Silpada sponsor!

In the meantime, let us know if you have other questions or thoughts you want to bounce off of us here on WAHM!

WooTini
05-29-2013, 11:29 AM
So Beth....

What did you decide to do?

I'm going to an event this evening and signing up there. I hear the first person to sign up gets to take home the kit that is there... so I'm going early to get dibs on it.

I am doing a launch party on Sunday at my house. (took two orders from two gals that won't be in town - one was $114 - the other $378! wowsers! :eek:) I have 7 more parties already half-booked for the first half of June that I intend to get dates on today and tomorrow.

I *am* borrowing some pieces from my sponsor - as well as I have a list I'm going to try to buy during that first 7 days.

nv93446
05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
That is awesome! Congrats on your fast start- way to go!

Janette

liz.jewels
05-30-2013, 03:37 AM
Sally, what a fantastic start! You are going to love this business. Welcome to the Silpada sisterhood!

robynec
06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Sally wow you are leaving the skincare arena???? :eek:
Well welcome to the Silpada Sisterhood....You'll love Silpada:)
Congrats

WooTini
06-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Heck. I still dunno know what I wanna do. :o

Good News, Bad News, etc...

Good News... the party went over fine. Hostess credits they give are nice

Bad News..... The chick with the $378 order decided that she wants to see the items first... (and yeah.. I know the return policy, yada yada yada... no changing her mind) ... big zero order there.

Good News... I *did* sign up.

Bad News... then I figure out what a bummer it is the way Silpada recognizes their "Rookie" awards... that's another post for another day... but that really bums me out.

Good News... I think the pay they offer for building a team is OK

Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad News... I don't like the way a manager is supposed to do about $2,500 in retail herself to get paid on her group for a month. Not even a rolling 3 month average or anything? Really? Bummer. Big bummer.

So... at the end of the day, I didn't order any 50% off stuff yet... still gonna ponder what I can do within this company that will bring me joy. I just want to have fun. Not stress.

Still love their jewelry more than anyone else's. :D

As for leaving the whole skin care arena... I've been out for the last two years... I almost got back in... but I've been busy with eyelashes (still good $$) ... and I've got some internet stuff I'm putting a little time into .

At the end of the day... just wanna have fun while I'm making $$. Wish I felt better about that management requirement... but I don't.

liz.jewels
06-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Hi Sally!

That can be frustrating when women don't "trust" the return policy. It is really unbelievable, so I get it, but it can be frustrating especially when you KNOW she'd love her pieces regardless.

As for getting paid on a team, you are only required to sell $500 in PCV (essentially one party) per month to get paid on your downline. You are correct that if you move up the ranks to Star Leader that it increases in order to get paid at that level, but it still works out to less than one party a week, which is a reasonable expectation for someone at a leadership level - how can they lead if they don't regularly work their business? If they have a light month because of vacation and what have you, they can still get the lower level of compensation on their downline for just $500 in monthly PCV. I wouldn't get discouraged about this right off the bat.

Curious what your perspective is on rookie awards - I think my first year is pretty generous, so I will look for that post!

I do agree that this business is supposed to bring you fun and joy, so I hope you work with your sponsor to figure out how to make that happen. Keep us posted!

WooTini
06-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Hiya Liz....

I guess we disagree.

If a person is out there recruiting, she is also probably giving away launch parties to her new recruit (just like my gal gave me).

The $2,500 is steep. First, for the reason I gave above, and secondly, that it's not even a rolling 3 month period or something. The reason to build a team is so that you're building a "business" and not creating a "job" for yourself.

Being capable of doing $2,500 a month is one thing (which I can do easily)... but being required to do it so stringently (without even a rolling 3 month calculation) to me is just annoying. Especially as I get older. If I build a team and I want to take most of a month off, I shouldn't have to worry about my own volume.

It's one thing to be "active"... no beef there. But to throw a heavy personal volume requirement on, especially that never goes away farther up the ranks (IIRC), just doesn't follow with running a business on your own terms, having freedom, etc. JMO.

WooTini
06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Oh... as for the "Rookie" awards at conference.

I like to compete. I like to win. :)

The "Rookie" awards that Silpada offers are for people that just started within the year and didn't have the advantage of having the full first year to get their numbers (for pers sales and recruiting) . It sounds good in theory.....

Until someone like me comes in to the company in June!

So someone that came in last July, for instance, has the full year to count her stats as a "Rookie" while I have a month to do it. So this, to me, is a real bummer for anyone coming in during the second half of the year, for example.

It's utterly insane to me that the company has an award like this but doesn't level the playing field somewhat by averaging the new person's sales by the number of months she was in before the end of the fiscal year.

So look at it this way... say a new gal comes in and has 3 months and does $9,000 in sales (average $3,000 per month in sales) will be beat out by a gal who did $10,000 in sales but had 10 months to do it (average $1,000 - big whoop - a month).

I realize there's no perfect company out there... I do love the jewelry so much more so than any other company - but even before I start, I see reasons to not want to build a team. :(

liz.jewels
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi Sally!

I think I misunderstood you. I was talking about My First Year, and you were talking about Rookie Sales Awards. I do believe the rookie awards work the way you described, because they are aligned with all other sales year awards. If it was something that was important to you, it's a shame that you and your sponsor didn't identify it before you signed up. You could have waited a month and had the entire year. I was in the same boat as you - I signed up at the end of May in 2010. That was fine because I wasn't going for any of the rookie awards anyway.

As for My First Year, you do have all year from your start date to earn that, and it is a pretty big deal, so set your sights on that and you will do just great! We've calculated it before and it's essentially 40 parties to earn it.

For the qualifying sales...again, you only need $500 PCV monthly to get paid on your downline. The higher amount is just to ensure you get paid at your title level. So, if you take time off, you can still get paid if you have enough orders to hit $500 or one party.

The one thing I can say about that aspect of leadership is...Silpada keeps making things better and better, much of it based on our feedback directly and in surveys. So, if you are a part of this company and think something should be changed, let them know! They appreciate it!

bethbeads
06-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I just realized I dropped the ball on this thread!

That's because I signed up with Silpada and have been busy trying to book parties. I have my launch party scheduled for the 25th, so I promise I'll come back and tell you all about it.

liz.jewels
06-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Awesome, Beth!

I look forward to hearing about it. Don't forget you'll also benefit from the $100 bonus available to hostesses right now - great way to build your collection even faster!

robynec
06-21-2013, 12:01 PM
yayyyy Congrats Beth....Welcome to the Silver Sisterhood...
YES please tell us all the Silpada happenings as soon as you:)