WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

matoozie
05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Last week a new study came out on Sucralose. It demonstrates that it has diabetes-promoting effects. :eek: I have always told people this, but this study backs up what I have been saying.

Essentially, they took obese subjects who weren't using artificial sweeteners and gave them Sucralose (also aka Splenda) and found that their insulin went up by something like an additional 20% and not only that, their insulin resistance increased by 7%! OUCH!!

Extra insulin means that it can drop blood sugar causing cravings, but the insulin resistance means that it may not be able to drop and that blood sugar has to get turned to fat in order to get rid of it. No wonder I have seen people who drink diet sodas pound down a candy bar or two soon after. It completely works against a dieter's efforts.

This link has the study in layman terms with a link to the abstract if you like that stuff.
Splenda Sucralose Found To Have Diabetes-Promoting Effects (http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/splenda-sucralose-found-have-diabetes-promoting-effects-1)

What do you all think of this?

LoneWolfMuskoka
05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks for sharing this study matoozie. I've never been a fan of artificial sweeteners. If it doesn't work in your body then you shouldn't put it in your body.

The best way to cut out sugar from your diet is to consume less sugar, not replace it with something else.

Seabead
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for that study link.

Big surprise, the diet industry making us fatter! :confused: Just another ingredient following in the footsteps of aspartame which almost killed me in the 80s.

That diet industry comment was not at all directed at companies which have good sugar substitutes, just those huge companies which don't care what their cheap, inferior ingredients do.

I've been learning about Insulin Resistance this week and may be finding answers to my mid-life weight loss puzzle. Too soon to say, but anyone who has info, please...share.

Deb

LoneWolfMuskoka
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi Deb

I've been learning about sugar and insulin resistance, etc. lately after having a diagnosis of type II diabetes. I'm hoping to get my diet to the point that I can get off the medication.

Previous to this diagnosis I had lost 35 lbs, so it was a shock that my fasting glucose went up (quite a bit actually) during that time.

One of the things I'm looking at is how low fat diets are contributing to both obesity and diabetes. I just stumbled upon something called the Primal Blueprint (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) which is very interesting. Similar to Paleo in some respects, but different in some important ways as well. While I don't exactly buy in to the evolutionary argument, I think the principles of diet, exercise and other health activities lines up with what I'm finding works for me.

All I know is that by making minor lifestyle adjustments I was able to lose 35 lbs in 6 months. I still have 75 to go, but reduction of processed foods, more fresh veggies, fruits (especially berries), nuts and water... lots of water!

Seabead
05-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Congrats on the healthy weight loss. The rise in fasting glucose would be a surprise.

Perhaps one of the other good factors in the Paleo and Primal ways of eating is the removal of processed grains? I prefer not to eat that much meat for various reasons, but can see how simplifying is best. Their take on fitness lines up with my experience as well.

LoneWolfMuskoka
05-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Perhaps one of the other good factors in the Paleo and Primal ways of eating is the removal of processed grains? I prefer not to eat that much meat for various reasons, but can see how simplifying is best. Their take on fitness lines up with my experience as well.

I think that the grains issue is probably the core. I've also read a book by a guy who's name I don't recall who advocates a more vegan approach. This is a lifestyle aimed at reducing/avoiding/eliminating diabetes amongst other things. But some of the things this has in common with Paleo and Primal is the elimination of grains, refined sugars and processed foods. Exactly opposed with regards to legumes, beans and meat products though 8=)

P.S. I looked it up and found the book. It's by Dr. Joel Furhman and it's called The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes.

mcmasterfx
06-02-2013, 10:09 AM
I had a bad feeling about that stuff when it first came out, and I'm glad I never used it much. I do use Truvia now in my smoothies.

NCMommie
06-04-2013, 07:36 AM
I stay clear of ANY artificial sweeteners... they give me a headache. Plus they are terrible for you!

Susan Holloway
06-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Another one to watch out for is Stevia. Even in it's pure form it can be very damaging to your health. It can cause many side effects; one being severe inflammation of the intestinal tract. I had severe reactions to it. There are warnings that pregnant women should not use it, too.

Sidekick products produced that have stevia in them like Truvia, Sweet Leaf products, etc. are chemically processed making them an even more damaging concoction.

kbell87
06-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for sharing the article!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1