WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

amyr81
04-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone! I am looking at joining the Scentsy team and was wondering how everyone is doing with their sales? I know there are a lot of places out there that mass produce melts like Walmart. Have you noticed a change in sales because of this? Also, has anyone had any luck trying to sell in little boutique type places? Is that allowed to do? I am a single mother of two little boys. My oldest has multiple disabilities which makes it hard for me to work outside of the home so I am hoping that there is a way I can profit here and keep a roof over our heads. I was just connected to someone for personal reasons and by chance happens to be a superstar director for Scentsy and just wanted some more input while I wait to hear back from her.
If you have any helpful information or tips let me know! Right now the start up for me is even a lot, but if I know how to go about it then I will push through! I am not so much a party person as I don't have a big circle of people who would be interested in taking time to go to a party, but figure there have to be other lucrative ways.
Thank you!

Amy

ScentingChicago
04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
My sales are great. People come back to me because Scentsy wax is very different than store wax. Personally, I feel like store wax smells chemical-y and plastic-y, but ours does not. I'll be honest, I will never ever regret spending the $99 for the starter kit ($117 after tax and shipping) so you really don't have anything to lose by trying it out!

amyr81
04-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Thank you ScentingChicago! If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been in Scentsy and what is the main avenue you use for getting your sales? I don't know many people who would come to a hosting party or host one themselves. I was thinking about maybe trying small locally owned boutiques?

ScentingChicago
04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I signed up in July and my business is done through home parties and basket parties. My basket parties are people taking some scent testers and catalogs to their place of work, friends homes or gatherings, etc and collecting orders. My home parties are fun and generally have really great sales. I am trying to venture into vendor events now and seeking out fundraising opportunities. While I don't MAKE money on fundraisers, it's so nice to give back AND get my name out there for more customers. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

LAscents
04-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi Amy,

Congrats on your decision to do research before jumping in. Your situation sounds similar to mine. I'm a single mom to two and spend a a majority of my time at home due to medical challenges. Motivational speaker Les Brown says "You gotta be hungry!" And being head of a household with a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed definitely makes you hungry and motivates you that failure is not an option.

Don't give Walmart and the other cheap knock-offs a second thought. Bargain shoppers for inferior quality are not our target market. I lost a few customers when they first started popping up, but they quickly returned when they realized it was costing them more because their scent wasn't lasting nearly as long as Scentsy.

You get out of this business what you put into it. If you try to rely strictly on your warm market - family and friends - to host parties and be your main source of customers you'll hit the ceiling quickly and won't be able to grow your business. However if you work a variety of platforms - online parties, social networking, vendor events, catalog/basket parties, setting up displays, etc. you can make it work.

With regard to your question about boutiques, you can set up a product display in retail establishments where the receptionist could be a host, or you could just drive traffic to your website or gain leads, but you cannot stock any product in the business for cash and carry.

christyvw2004
04-28-2013, 10:11 AM
I to am not a "party" person ...but I have did a few...really alot easier then I had ever thought. I also do some vendor things to get my name out and about.. I to don't thing the walmart or other knockoffs hurt us. I have had people tell me many times how they tried them and no comparison. I am one who thinks even if i had never sold a thing 3 1/2 years after I purchased the starter kit, then the value of the product alone was well worth the $100 bucks. Good luck in your venture.

amyr81
04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I just signed up... BIG GULP. I'm super excited but even the sign up fee's are a gamble when you don't have the money but only for bills. I was wondering, Can I start my own "fundraiser" instead of an online opening party? I have a facebook page for my son with disabilities and really need help with his therapy bills and some things he is in desperate need of. Can you do a fundraiser online? How does ordering work with parties and fundraisers? Do the items ship directly to the purchasers house? I was wondering if this might be a good way to start out, letting them know that I am continuing to be a consultant in the future, but could really need their help now. Thank you so much for answering all my questions! I really appreciate it. I do really believe in this product and at the same point yes, I am "Hungry"! I am in the midst of if things don't change soon, I might lose my place of residency. If any of you would like to check out my son's FB page you can search under: Lions Tigers and Autism

Thank you again for taking your time to answer my questions!

Amy

LAscents
04-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Congratulations on your decision to join us. Be sure to get with your sponsor who can walk you through all the ins and outs of what you can do on Facebook and with regard to advertising. It's also listed in the Resources section of your workstation.

sunlightishere
04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
I am not with Scentsy or any other company. I do happen to own Scentsy products, 5 burners and am coninually purchasing bars, have been a fan of Scentsy for nearly 3 years and would definately consider joining if I could. I to want to congratulate you on your decision and want to wish you the very best luck! :)

One question, Why did you decide to join Scentsy and not one of the other companies listed here?

amyr81
04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you everyone! Well, I am a scent fanatic for one. Secondly, I love Scentsy products and use warmers everyday. Personally, I am a single mom with two little boys one with severe special needs. My mind is always having to work and I am always exhausted. I needed something fun and logical that I could really work to do and have fun without it being to overwhelming. I actually met my director through mutual interest and so realistically I didn't join from looking on wahm. Sunlightishere, how come you haven't joined? It sounds like you would do really well with something like this!

-Amy
http://amyramsey.scentsy.us

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1