WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : dropshipping and ebay..

Jill Moorehead
04-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi
I sell things here and there on ebay but would love to sell more
and do it part-time maybe later on full-time. I know the things I want to sell
but like many I do not have capital so worshipping for now is my avenue.
Any advice on who to avoid or to tech out for?
I too am looking for something with no fees or start up costs.
I enjoy selling on ebay and am looking at selling cellphone accessories and tablets which
is a popular item that I can see right now, any ideas or suggestions for dropshippers in this
Particular area who be great!!

experience
04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Jill,

The cellphone accessories market is flooded and the market for tablets is also highly competitive. The margins available in dropshipping are terribly low anyway, so you need to get away from the crowd.

If you can find a real niche you stand a far better chance of making some money.

Let me suggest how to find a niche. You should think about your hobbies, trade or craft ability, or general work experience, even the hobbies or work experience of relatives and friends. If you have a hobby such as photography for example, are there things that you have wanted or needed but it was hard to locate supplies? Are some things obviously over priced? Do the suppliers give good service?

The same applies to trades, or industries, and if you can find things that are frequently bought, you may have found a niche market. That would certainly be the case if those products are often late delivered, or seem overpriced, or are hard to find, or maybe the supplier gives woeful service.

If you have $250 to $300 to put into inventory, I teach how to safely source small quantities direct from the real manufacturers at genuine factory prices. I also show how to make the importing part of it a breeze, without needing to learn all the rules. The whole process is far quicker and easier than dropshippers want you to believe.

The high profit margins will stagger you. Resellers involved in dropshipping cannot imagine what little work is needed in order to make more profit than dropshipping can ever achieve. Would you rather sell 100 widgets a day for $3 profit each, or 10 widgets a day for $30 profit each. That is the sort of difference I am talking about.

Please note that I do not sell lists and you will never have to pay membership fees in order to buy the products you want. If you can imagine a product, you can buy it direct from the factory.

Karuli
04-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Do you qualify for Kabbage? This site has some good pallet companies on the main page. Jeans are a great seller as well. Good luck!

experience
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Do you qualify for Kabbage? This site has some good pallet companies on the main page. Jeans are a great seller as well. Good luck!

Kabbage is a finance company and does not supply goods of any kind.

Karuli
05-03-2013, 06:22 AM
This is true about Kabbage, just offering alternative suggestions if drop shipping fails.

experience
05-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Some people may need to borrow money for buying stock for resale, but I have a number of people who have bought my book, who have started their importing businesses with a very small amount of funds.

A couple have told me that their first orders landed, cost them around $250 - $300 and they have made excellent profits selling the products. I know one at least sells at flea markets.

The way you sell is up to you, but if you are sure that you can sell physical products, directly importing small quantities direct from the manufacturer at genuine factory prices will give you profits that those who dropship cannot dream of.

I teach how to safely source from real manufacturers and then how to import the easy way.

alisha119
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Is it mainly the multitude of small sales that drives your income there or is it really possible to make anything with drop shipping on Ebay? With all the fees and whatnot..?

experience
05-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Is it mainly the multitude of small sales that drives your income there or is it really possible to make anything with drop shipping on Ebay? With all the fees and whatnot..?

Hi alisha,

Those who resell by dropshipping on eBay must have a multitude of sales to at least break even, because of the dreadful low profit margins that dropshipping provides.

The result is that they do a huge amount of work for little or no profit. The pity of it is that they have been fooled into thinking that dropshipping is the only way to start a business with a small investment.

I have received emails from many people who ask questions such as how can anyone make money dropshipping on eBay when there are so many sellers there advertising at prices lower than what I have been quoted wholesale?

The answer is - you can't. This is why I teach a better alternative in the form of sourcing small quantities direct from the manufacturer at factory prices. I also teach how to do the importing the simple and easy way without any need to learn all the rules. You can buy small quantities and the profit margins will amaze you.

Just think - Is it better to sell 100 items a day with a profit of $2 per item or 10 items per day with a profit of of $20 per item? This can be done with a very small investment. I know of people who have started off with just $300 or so. They have re-invested their profits,, buying bigger quantities.

By the way, eBay is not the only place to sell. Some of my readers sell at flea markets, or shopping mall stalls.

experience
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Commision junction is the best option right now. There are so many affiliates registered there on commision junction with drop shipping facility. CJ really helps me alot to start my own online business without any heavy investment.

I don't think you could have read much of the previous posts. You do not need a big investment to become an online retailer of physical products. In my previous post I wrote: "Just think - Is it better to sell 100 items a day with a profit of $2 per item or 10 items per day with a profit of of $20 per item? This can be done with a very small investment. I know of people who have started off with just $300 or so. They have re-invested their profits,, buying bigger quantities."

What this means is that for much less effort it is possible to make more profit if you buy products direct from manufacturers. If you think that is not possible please read the whole thread. It won't take you long. There are only 10 posts, including this one.

experience
05-14-2013, 03:39 AM
That reply is for Jill not for your Dear Senior Member. I didn't quote your post I posted a reply for JILL. I thought that might help Jill I don't no why your are getting angry.

No problem shoppingspout. It's just that threads move along and sometimes develop a life of their own so maybe you should say "Hi Jill", or "Hi OP." so nobody thinks you are replying to the immediately previous post.

imogene
07-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi alisha,

Those who resell by dropshipping on eBay must have a multitude of sales to at least break even, because of the dreadful low profit margins that dropshipping provides.

The result is that they do a huge amount of work for little or no profit. The pity of it is that they have been fooled into thinking that dropshipping is the only way to start a business with a small investment.

I have received emails from many people who ask questions such as how can anyone make money dropshipping on eBay when there are so many sellers there advertising at prices lower than what I have been quoted wholesale?

The answer is - you can't. This is why I teach a better alternative in the form of sourcing small quantities direct from the manufacturer at factory prices. I also teach how to do the importing the simple and easy way without any need to learn all the rules. You can buy small quantities and the profit margins will amaze you.

Just think - Is it better to sell 100 items a day with a profit of $2 per item or 10 items per day with a profit of of $20 per item? This can be done with a very small investment. I know of people who have started off with just $300 or so. They have re-invested their profits,, buying bigger quantities.

By the way, eBay is not the only place to sell. Some of my readers sell at flea markets, or shopping mall stalls.

HI Experience,

I am only new and don't have much cash for stock so I would be nervous about spending it all on one order. What if it goes pear shaped? What if i can't' sell what I need to sell?

I like the idea of as much profit on 10 sales as you can get on 100 sales but if I have to put all my money into one big order (big for me LOL) I need to know if there is that much profit.

experience
07-07-2013, 03:08 AM
HI Experience,

I am only new and don't have much cash for stock so I would be nervous about spending it all on one order. What if it goes pear shaped? What if i can't' sell what I need to sell?

I like the idea of as much profit on 10 sales as you can get on 100 sales but if I have to put all my money into one big order (big for me LOL) I need to know if there is that much profit.

Hi imogene,

I understand your concerns. Any new venture involves risk so you do need to be cautious.

Firstly let me say that if you have never had quotes from overseas manufacturers you could not imagine the huge profit margins that you can get by buying direct. Most small retailers on eBay are working on profit margins of around 20%. Some in posts online boast of 30%, but they are greatly outnumbered by those who bemoan the fact that they struggle to make any profit at all after selling costs.

The main reason for low profits is that they follow the crowd and buy the same products from dropship suppliers.

If I was thinking of selling on eBay I would be worried just as you are if I could only buy stock from wholesalers or dropshippers.

You should always remember that profits begin with buying, and you need to buy at the right price. How do you know how much is the most you should pay for the products you want to sell? Here is what you need to do:
1. Know your market. The products must be ones you can sell. Do your research.
2. Know how much the products are likely to sell for.
3. Know how much your selling costs will be. I refer to eBay and PayPal fees, postage etc. This gives you the net figure after your selling costs.
4. Let us assume you are satisfied that the product will sell readily for $100. After selling costs you would have about $80.
5. Decide how much profit you want to make on a $100 sale. Let us assume $60. (I am being conservative. I would not even consider less than that.)
6. This means you must buy for no more than $20 including shipping to you as well as duty and sales tax if the shipment value exceeds the Customs duty free threshold.
7. Get quotes from suppliers, including door to door freight.
8. If prices quoted result in a total landed cost (see 6) no more than $20 you should be safe to place your first order after going through the careful process of locating genuine manufacturers, email discussion with them about their products, and obtaining samples.

If you cannot buy your preferred product at such a price, you should look for a different product to sell, but first you need to be sure that you are getting the best possible price. There are simple ways to do this, but definitely do not try haggling.

Having bought at a price that gives you a very high profit margin, you are then able to compete, even if established sellers try to undercut prices to keep you out of the market. You will be able to discount by as much as 50% and still make a profit. If you cannot liquidate your stock by selling at a 50% discount there is something seriously wrong with your market research.

Such margins are easily obtainable. For 22 years until I retired I ran an importing business which I franchised in 4 countries. If my franchisees could not make a 60% profit margin as the barest minimum they would have walked away from their franchise and probably would have sued me. They often made a lot more than that.

I always recommend obtaining a sample, and once satisfied about the quality, then placing a commercial order but if you have limited funds it is a good idea to place an order for a trial quantity so that you can test the market.

kelly05
07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
I was thinking about joining sunrise or adora, is it a good ideal. I broke and may have a little to spear . Do i need a website it work for these companys and are they legit . I need to find some fast

experience
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I was thinking about joining sunrise or adora, is it a good ideal. I broke and may have a little to spear . Do i need a website it work for these companys and are they legit . I need to find some fast

Hi Kelly,

I don't know either sunrise or adora. Are they dropship suppliers?

Dropship businesses that provide turnkey websites with products already set up for you are almost invariably middlemen and rarely provide any real income for you.

Never pay to get a job online and never pay to buy lists.

Without more information this is all the help I can give.

AWD1
07-15-2013, 08:16 AM
We do not charge any fees for drop shipping for ebay, amazon or web sales.
We also have a generic product catalog to allow people to sell through

AuctionDebtEliminator
08-20-2013, 07:37 AM
We do not charge any fees for drop shipping for ebay, amazon or web sales.
We also have a generic product catalog to allow people to sell through

Even if you do this, though, are you negotiable? I mean, if someone came up to you and said: "I've done my research, and for the following products, I need THIS price in order to be competitive in the market" would you accommodate that pricing?

Or, do you have a MAP price or do you lure people in with an MSRP?

Nothing has ever sold on eBay for an MSRP, ever. Never happened once, nor will it happen ever again .

It's sad when people get suckered into websites claiming that people can 'sell and item for 100 dollars' and the wholesaler will only charge them '60 dollars' and they'll make '40 dollars' but there are a lot of issues with this model.

One, the item won't sell for that.

Two, there are more deductions to take into consideration,

And three, you have other retailers getting the item for cheaper.

The MAP prices aren't enforced, and even if they are, they shouldn't be - sellers don't choose the price of items - MARKETS do.

So, if you SAY an item will sell for 100 dollars, but the MARKET only deems that item worth 30 dollars, NO one makes money.

-Auction Debt Eliminator -

RetailTrail
09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
You should try looking at Salehoo and WorldWideBrands, they do some of the heavy lifting for you on wholesalers and dropshippers. You can find vendors and products.

AuctionDebtEliminator
10-02-2013, 05:49 AM
The problem with going to someone like that - and trusting what 'THEY' say, and trusting THEIR research, is that it always tends to be bad.

In fact, with worldwidebrands especially, they charge you upwards of 299 dollars for 'legitimate suppliers' that 'will make you a profit'.

The problem is, if you were to trust their research, and sell their items on, say, eBay - you'll quickly see that the items will be on eBay in perpetuity without any action whatsoever.

The secret to selling on eBay is actually KNOWING the market worth of those items BEFORE you list them, knowing the format that will yield that price, and then knowing the DEDUCTIONS to take (all of them) to see if you even yield a profit.

Taking 'someone else's word for it' as far as research, or, 'heavy lifting' is concerned is a very, very dangerous business practice. You should absolutely know for yourself before you pull the trigger on anything.

Plus, you should know HOW to do it yourself as well - those are techniques I've been teaching for years.

ericajennings
10-02-2013, 06:35 PM
hundred percent wholesale does not have a startup fee. Fragrance X and Apparel Candy are also free. Apparel Candy sells things in lot sizes and not individual items and all their fragrances are imitation. I've sold quite a few of these and I even saw these same imitations in a store in the mall so people do buy them. AC sells 3 for $9.99 (fragrances). They also sell clothes and cosmetics. So many dropshippers aren't great. I have used all 3 of these to sell on eBay and none of them have raised a complaint from me or customers so they do a good job. Born Pretty Store is in China. I currently use them. If you are willing to sell products to US customers and make them wait for their products to ship from overseas this is a really good company. I've had no problems with them either. Just be sure "Ships from China" is in the item description so customers know before they buy. They are free as well.

debbiesedbergh
10-09-2013, 05:26 AM
There are ways of drop shipping without using untrusting suppliers.

AuctionDebtEliminator
10-16-2013, 05:55 AM
There are ways of drop shipping without using untrusting suppliers.

Yes, it's true - there is - but what a lot of people don't understand is that it tends to be difficult.

But, the journey is what makes it worth it. There is a lot of leverage that is needed to find a supplier that is willing to negotiate - but that is if you're even doing dropshipping.

There are a lot of models that will make you more profits in the long run, and dropshippers need to be vetted like crazy and research needs to be done (and known how to do) but it is DEFINITELY a process.

gregdavidson
11-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi
I sell things here and there on ebay but would love to sell more
and do it part-time maybe later on full-time. I know the things I want to sell
but like many I do not have capital so worshipping for now is my avenue.
Any advice on who to avoid or to tech out for?
I too am looking for something with no fees or start up costs.
I enjoy selling on ebay and am looking at selling cellphone accessories and tablets which
is a popular item that I can see right now, any ideas or suggestions for dropshippers in this
Particular area who be great!!

A lot of companies that call themselves dropshippers aren't real dropshippers. They're actually discount retailers.The real dropshippers are regular wholesale suppliers or manufacturers that offer this service on the side.

Beachday
11-23-2013, 01:06 PM
In this day, I don't think you can rely on dropshippers. Too many bad stories and if you get a bad one, it can ruin your Ebay account, a problem if you also sell items you have in hand.

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Thank you all for sharing information.

dublifunshopping
01-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Hi Jill
I will send you a couple of links regarding this for ebay you may be interested on PM
regards
Cheri

trikirypark777
01-29-2014, 06:35 AM
I am trying to find a drop shipper or wholesaler for as seen on tv products. Is this possible without joining a club to get a list? Thanks in advance for all advice.

easyonlinesuppliers
05-12-2014, 02:46 PM
What I think has been mentioned, but is worth repeating is this:

Are there reputable companies out there that will drop ship and make you a profit?
Absolutely!

Is it difficult to find them?
It certainly can be- it is one of the biggest hurdles that our clients struggle with it seems.

If you are finding more No's than Yes's trying to find good dropship suppliers, than contact me- we offer very affordable services just for this purpose!

Make it one more thing to check off your list, so you can focus more important aspects of your online business and START SELLING :)

imogene
03-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Experience - It looks like you don't like dropshipping idea?

Care to tell us why? So many people use it and seem to make good money.

experience
03-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi Imogene,

You are quite right. I believe that dropshipping is for people willing to work as cheap labor for the dropship wholesalers.

The people who make big money out of dropshipping are the dropship wholesalers.

Those who boast about their dropship businesses almost always talk about their big sales figures. They rarely mention their % profits.

Whenever profits are the subject of a discussion, the figures quoted are pathetic. 10%, 15%, 20%. Some of the top people quote as high as 30%. That is still not good enough for the time and risks involved.

People think that carrying inventory requires big $$$$$, but it is possible to start small scale importing on as low as $300, and make very good profits in the process. I recently received an email from a newbie importer excited because he had started with $300, and has been selling the goods at a 300% markup.

I am writing an article on the pros and cons of dropshipping and I will post it within a day or two in my thread Ask Me Anything About Small Scale Importing – Veteran Importer Here.

I see you have asked a question there too. I will answer shortly but must go offline for a while now.

pehlescustomservices
04-22-2015, 05:40 PM
As far as dropshippers, does anyone know anything about Sunrise as a dropshipper? I am currently researching to do dropshipping as a second business of mine. Any ideas?

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1