WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Help me start

h_mae89
04-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I am very interested in Affiliate Marketing. Believe me, I realize you don't get rich quick. I am not even looking to get rich anyways. I just want to pay my share of the bills so I can stay home with my son. So, will you help me get started? Do I use Go Daddy for hosting? What do I use to set up a website? Can you explain to me exactly what you did? I know certain websites like Wordpress won't let you post ads most of the time and they won't show up, so I didn't know what to use. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you so much

angienewton
04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
You will need to decide on a topic for your blog first.

Then you'll brainstorm domain names (this you will get from GoDaddy).

Then you'll get a small hosting plan at Host Gator.

Then through Host Gator you'll upload a Wordpress theme. This will be self hosted so you will be able to do promotions and monetize this blog. You'll set up some stuff in Wordpress like permalinks and THEN you start blogging.

naunakat17
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Wait... so I cannot post links to affiliates on a wordpress?
How do I market?

Also for those of have set up the wordpress... I got the domain, I got my brother in law to host for me and now i have to pick a theme to a template for my blog right? Can I not create my own, or i pick out one that was already created and fix it to make it my own?

Where do I find information to what a permalink is, or maybe a sample blog?

Gosh I look so un ready!

danasurvey
04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
You can use Godaddy or other places to purchase and build a website. I also agree with angienewton: You need to decide on a topic/niche. For example, mine is free money making websites.

From what I understand, wordpress.com does not allow you to post any type of advertising, referral links, etc. Wordpress.org may give you more flexibility when you are working on your own domain/site though.

angienewton
04-06-2013, 08:16 AM
You CAN post affiliate links on a self hosted Wordpress blog. Wordpress.com users cannot.

Yes once your domain is added to your hosting account, you can then upload Wordpress and choose a theme/template.

Once you have your Wordpress theme chosen and it's all up, post back and I can walk you through how to change the permalink settings.

Don't want to overwhelm all at once. What is your blog topic going to be about?

Laura B
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM
You can modify a theme to suit your needs but depending on how familiar you are with CSS and HTML it may be best to begin with one that's ready-made for now. Also, it's best to do your keyword research before you choose a domain name, but since you have it already, doing some keyword research now will help you figure out what keywords to focus your posts on.

It's good that you realize it's not going to make you rich quickly - so you're a step ahead of many others already! :)

laimonas
04-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Hey,

Warning for your consideration!

If You just want to pay your share of the bills so You can stay home with your son, affiliate
marketing is one of the hardest ways to be profitable for newbie.

Before you start find a niche and product you are willing to promote, and people are looking for! Best niches are: health, personal development, money.

Next You need domain related to that niche. And also hosting account if you want to have a website.(best hosting account for me is Hostgator- good price, awesome support, never had an issue)

To start actually you do not need a website. Having kid at home and creating, setting up and maintaining website can be challenging :-).

Very important- You need an email autoresponder provider like aweber or getresponse to collect an emails from people that are interested in your offer. But reality is that people don't buy instantly, and if you didn't captured lead you losing client. If you capture lead, you can later contact that person and offer other related product in that niche that you are promoting.

With autoresponder you can set up opt-in form to capture prospects email adresses interested in your offer. Autoresponder will host your opt-in form ( so you don't need hosting account). Then you can forward your domain name to your opt-in form (landing page). So... when everything is setup and someone clicks on your domain, that person is forwarded to your landing page. And if opts-in you have client.

Then you need to market your landing page- pay for advertisement or go and do social marketing. If You have website you can do SEO, but it's very expensive method in my opinion (because time is the most valuable thing).

Hope that helps

Have a great day

mkprofit
04-12-2013, 08:20 AM
I agree with @Laimonas, it is tough to do Internet marketing with little baby by your side. I have a 3 month old son, and I work on my Internet Marketing projects the moment he goes to sleep. I watch him during the day, and in the evenings, I work a part time job. Yes, it is hard to get results quickly from Internet Marketing programs. I use the part time job earnings to promote my Internet Marketing projects. I know you have read lots of promotion out there and they all promise “Gold” the first day. No-no! It is not true, at least not for me lol.

Oh well! Once you get started with Internet Marketing, do not give up. I will not repeat what other comrades have suggested for you above, but as @Laimonas said, you need auto-responder. I know other web hosting services are great, but personally, I use GVO. GVO hosts your site, provides auto-responder, provide great blogging theme, and better yet, they provide tutorial on how to promote your Internet Marketing projects and how to use the provided tools. There is no extra cost for tools once you buy the hosting service from GVO.

If you have any question you can inbox me. I will help where I can.

Thank you

homegrandmom
04-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks from me too, the more I read here, the more I learn.

strokerchase
04-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Find a good niche. Use google keyword tool after you've found the good niche you want to work in. Then base your domain name on one of those keywords. Try to get it close. After that, you can sign up for the domain and also I suggest hostgator for hosting. You can get a good wordpress theme for cheap. I use elegantthemes. Then start blogging away!

homegrandmom
04-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Let me ask you all a question, I used the free website builder provided by me telephone company, what would the benefit be to using hostgator or a web host?

angienewton
04-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Many reasons it's better to have a self hosted site. Security, it's your property so if the phone company ever went out of business or wanted to take your site for any reason they could without explanation. Business wise it's just more professional to have self hosted.

For me personally I don't click on links or purchase through any freebie site but that's me;)

homegrandmom
04-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Many reasons it's better to have a self hosted site. Security, it's your property so if the phone company ever went out of business or wanted to take your site for any reason they could without explanation. Business wise it's just more professional to have self hosted.

For me personally I don't click on links or purchase through any freebie site but that's me;)

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense; freebies are just a part of my life, I get most of the things I want and need free including vacations (thought I'd focus on something I know about)

MamasGirl
04-13-2013, 10:51 PM
I use Google blogspot for a lot of my blogs because it does not cost anything. You can pick an interest and then create a blog around that product. A lot of training you can find free online too! This way there is no investment to see if you like it or not.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1