WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Any Full Time Tutors/Teachers?

Jenger
04-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Does anyone on here tutor or teach online full time? By full time I mean at least $1500 a month.

Infinity
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
At tutor.com you can work up to 30 hours per week - technically not full time (no benefits) but pretty close. It is definitely possible to earn over $1500 a month doing so (I took home about $1850 gross last month), though this will depend on your seniority, average student ratings, and whether you can tutor the upper level math/science subjects (which pay better).

djunamod
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Does anyone on here tutor or teach online full time? By full time I mean at least $1500 a month.

Tutoring/teaching online full time is a rarity, from what I've seen in the 5 years + I've been working at it. You can certainly make the income you propose by working at multiple companies, though. That does require quite a bit of energy and work, though, since we're not just talking about time you actually teach students (whether via video, phone, or whatever) but also lesson planning, grading (in some cases), etc.

I'm took home about $1000 last month, but the income I've found is very unstable. It is higher some months than others just because you have student canceling, not showing up, etc. So it's not like you do work at, say customer service jobs, where you have some kind of steady income because you're working X amount of hours (if you get paid by the hour, that is - I know from reading the WAHM.com boards that it's not always like that).

So to be an online teacher/tutor, you really have to be prepared to have an unsteady income and "go with the flow", so to speak :D.

Djuna

Infinity
04-12-2013, 06:18 PM
"You can certainly make the income you propose by working at multiple companies, though."

Good point, though whether you are allowed to do this will depend on the specifics of your agreement with each company.

If you're hired as a part-time employee, it's likely that the company will prohibit you from working for other online tutoring companies. In return for this, the company will pay into Medicare/Social Security for you.

But if you are hired as an independent contractor, you retain the ability to work for other companies if you wish.

Jenger
04-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks Djuna and Infinity.

Those are some good things to consider. I figured that most people do this as a supplement to their income, but I thought I'd ask. I'd like to try to make this a full time thing, or at least cover my mortgage payment :)

Online Tutoring Success
04-19-2013, 02:17 PM
So to be an online teacher/tutor, you really have to be prepared to have an unsteady income and "go with the flow", so to speak :D.

This is a really good point, if you only tutor by the hour. Another way to create a more steady income is to diversify your income streams. Putting all your eggs into one basket is risky (especially when students cancel). You could work for multiple companies but you might not be able to (according to your contract).

I go beyond just providing tutoring services though. I earn money from...

- Tutoring
- Writing and selling my own materials (ebooks, audio courses and video courses).
- Selecting and promoting realated courses/products for an affiliate percentage.
- Google/Yahoo Ads on my website

When you build a website that over-delivers unique content to your target audience, you can promote your paid services and also generate income from multiple sources. :)

djunamod
04-20-2013, 06:18 AM
I go beyond just providing tutoring services though. I earn money from...

- Tutoring
- Writing and selling my own materials (ebooks, audio courses and video courses).
- Selecting and promoting realated courses/products for an affiliate percentage.
- Google/Yahoo Ads on my website

Online Tutoring Success, these are very good points. Can you go a bit more into how you write and sell your own materials? I do know about TeachersPayTeachers, but I've never really delved much into this.

Djuna

djunamod
04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Diana. This is so helpful!

Djuna

Jeupi
06-21-2013, 05:12 PM
I was just wondering if you have to have anything special to tutor? Is there a specific course or degree you should take? Also, do you do your tutoring online most of the time? Does anyone actually tutor in real time? Thank you!

jennm1484
06-22-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm a full time teacher/tutor online. I definitely make more than $1500 a month. I work mostly for myself. I have one company that I take one or two students from a week 'just in case'. I don't advertise anymore and get most of my students by word of mouth. It's been a good gig.When I first started the money wasn't very good, but now - I set my own rates. If you work hard, study and learn what your students need, you can definitely make a great wage.

Hope4More
07-17-2013, 05:31 AM

I teach for an online school, and I meet your criteria for full time (salary at or above your indicated amount; health, vision, dental insurance; 401k; disability; and a gym membership). If you are a certified teacher with a solid background in technology, you should be able to google online schools with certified teachers and see their job postings.

Infinity
07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
I'd be curious to know the name of the company/school that you work for.