WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Watkins in Stores?

joleneb2
03-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Watkins is on my short list of companies I am considering to try but I have a concern now. I heard a couple of days ago that some of Watkins products are now being sold in Walmart and then I found some in Target also.

I am not sure I am thrilled to get started in a company that I can drive down the road and buy the same product and I am sure some customers fee that way also.

HouseMouse
03-16-2013, 10:27 PM
At first this would seem to be a bad thing but when you step back and look at the BIG picture, you will see the advantage of this type of marketing. The few stores that carry Watkins products only carry a few select items. YOU carry the WHOLE STORE! You can use this to your advantage when you present the Master Catalog and monthly sales sheets.

When your customers buy from you, they are getting the deluxe treatment of ALL the products Watkins has to offer PLUS your personal customer service. Play that up and you'll be just fine.

I am relatively new here, so I can't post my biz info but if you would like to talk more,I am Sandi .

DebraFerrie
03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I can see both the positive and the negative of having some of the line in stores.

I was just in a store and saw a very long row of Watkins products- they had quite a few and I was surprised actually.

I'd perfer to have my line sold only by consultants but obviously that is a decision each person makes. I'm sure most of the Watkins reps don't mind.

Good Luck !

LemongrassMommy
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
This is one of the reasons I stopped selling it. A large selection of their best products are sold at Target stores all over, about a dollar less that the catalog, and the customer does not have to pay $10 shipping. That's cheaper that what a rep pays. I wish I had known this before I paid the sign up fee.:(

The Watkins Man
03-18-2013, 06:48 AM
That's why i focus my efforts on the products that are not sold in stores.

Best regards,
Douglas Adams

amers
03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
It is frustrating that many of the Watkins products can be found in the local big box stores however at least in my experience what those stores carry is not necessarily long term. I used to be able to buy a Watkins product I liked at my local Target but now they no longer carry that certain product but do carry other Watkins products that they didn't have before. My choice to join Watkins was based on the products I could not find in stores. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have. Just send me a pm.
Have a great day.

suse
03-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Watkins published their top 50 products by sales for 2012, which accounted for 75% of total product sales. Of the items I've seen in stores - mostly a select set of cleaning products and personal care items (not the whole lines) - about 5 or so are on the top 50 list. Only ONE item made the top 20 list, item #20 Watkins Laundry Detergent. The rest of the 45 or so top 50 items can only be acquired through a Watkins consultant.

Most of what my customers buy are NOT sold in stores. When I talk to people about the items Watkins has in the stores, it opens the conversation up to hand them a catalog and show them the other products we have. It gives the person a sense that Watkins is a legitimate company since it DOES have store presence. I like it and it is been good for my business. :)

HouseMouse
03-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Yes, I agree, everyone must weigh their own pros and cons before choosing a home business. For me, Watkins is working beautifully. I am selling well....for a beginner Associate even though I have a Target AND Walmart within 10 miles of me AND a little country store that carries a few items.

Watkins just fits for me because I love the discount AND I'm learning from my great Summit Group Leaders. It's FUN and profitable.

If I can assist anyone or answer any questions, I'm here to help.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)

I'm Sandi and WatkinsWorks

nattiesmother
03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
People need to realize that its only a few select items....also there are many companies that have there products on ebay as well....just one of those things.Its not like they carry the whole store lol.Our local rite aid carried some of the hand creams.

The Watkins Man
03-23-2013, 05:48 AM
A maximum of 20 different products from a line of more than 350 products!

Best regards,
Douglas Adams

HouseMouse
03-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks WatkinsMan! I knew there was a max number of products allowed. I just couldn't remember where that article was.

So really, stores carrying Watkins is a Teaser. Having your own Rep is SERVICE.

Selkie
03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
sent me looking fr more products and to The summit group website.Their training rocks BTW. I think some limited store inventory is good thing.

jan8022
03-28-2013, 01:52 PM
There are pros and cons to having multi-channels. I've made sales to people because they knew the product line from seeing in Walmart or Target. I've also lost sales for the same reason. Retailers can only sell 20 SKU's, and you have about 250 items in the catalog, so I don't think it really impacts an individual sales rep that much.

Recently I got an order from a customer and I had everything except one item. And I wasn't planing on placing an order. Was in my local drugstore and what do they have? Watkins products, Buy 1, get on free! Bada-bing, there was the product I needed. No need to place an order and pay $9.95 shipping. Profit margin 50%. Was that a good or bad thing? I think it worked out just fine!

brandenc
02-23-2014, 06:59 PM
I've lost all my customers to the local stores. Walmart has pretty much the season's and Cracker Barrel has the lotions, soaps and Watkins Vanilla and Cinnamon. I really wish they'd stop putting the items in stores.

No one wants to buy from the local consultant when they get it at the big box stores, which is only hurting the consultants who are trying to run their business and build a customer base.

nv93446
02-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I just made a trip to my local Target and I can tell you there were less than a dozen items. Maybe there are more in some areas.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1