WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Am I Crazy?

nlayfield34
03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
My daughter just turned 3 months today, and I already look up information about homeschooling her.

I really don't want to be pressured into sending her to public school, especially the schools in the area I live. I know that my whole family will say homeschooling my daughter is a stupid idea. But I went to the best public school in the area, and I wasn't even close to being prepared for college. I always felt way behind of the other kids at my university.

And I like the fact that it would be a lot easier to kind of pick her friends. I see the kids at the schools around here and they are unmotivated and they start drinking and being very reckless at a really young age. I just really don't want that for my daughter.

Requill
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Ill give my honest thoughts and opinions.

I think you're in the right path. I know there will be opposition: people telling you that public schools is gonna prepare your kid for the real life.
But life is all about the different shades of grey... its definitely not in black and white..

If you homeschool her well, she is definitely going to get the best education... much better than any public schools can offer..
If you homeschool her well, with her holistic well-being in mind, her EQ (something that is not taught well i public schools) will be well-developed.
As for friends, there are other ways to meet people her age. You can handpick them or she can meet them in other social gatherings like church maybe.. thats a good place to meet good people.

You are doing what you think is best. I think thats the way to go. Dont let the masses convince you otherwise..

I read a saying once.. "Man, it has been well said, go mad quickly in herds, but they only regain their senses slowly, and one by one"

Requill
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
My mom raised me well.
The first 16 years of my life defined the person who I am today.
I'm not a mom. I'm a 20 year old guy. I'm an entrepreneur. I'm a small business owner. I have an awesome outlook in life. I know what's right from wrong. I know how to think for myself. All these things, and more, were made possible because my mom did what she thought was right.
I was never homeschooled either and I am aware that it is a hard task to homeschool your child right.. but like anything in life.. nothing worth achieving is every easy #=]]

Nil Sine Labore
Nothing without Labour

nlayfield34
03-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the insight!! I was raised right too by both my parents. And luckily I fell into a pretty good group of people in school and we stayed out of trouble most of the time.

I'm definitely not scared about the actual teaching, because I have always been "above-average" and I went to a top ten private university. I hate to sound conceited or anything, but I don't really trust her education to people around here. The people I went to college with went to big private high schools that actually prepared them well and I want her to be like them. I don't want her to be like me and so overwhelmed that she really doesn't get to enjoy college.

As for socialization, I want to have her in dance/music classes early. Dance is something that I really love and I would love to share that with her. And I hope that she meets some good friends there. I would love to find a church for her to meet peers, but although I am a Christian, I do believe many things that most churches don't, especially in my rural area, and I'm hesitant to socialize her with people who are "close-minded" in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant. I guess this is just more for my benefit by getting my thoughts out. Thanks again!

Requill
03-16-2013, 01:37 PM
haha. i understand completely what you are saying and i feel the same way too. I am also a christian who believes that its not exactly as the conventional church would have you believe that is right.

Your optimism for your daughter's future is evident. You will do well raising her up #=]

nlayfield34
04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the support!! I need it! :D

Lynn B
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm a huge believer in Mama instinct! You will know what to do as you discover it. I think it's a gift if you can give them the time and space to develop their love of learning without the lockstep and measurement of the current education system. You are so NOT crazy :)

Lynn B
04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
My mom raised me well.
The first 16 years of my life defined the person who I am today.
I'm not a mom. I'm a 20 year old guy. I'm an entrepreneur. I'm a small business owner. I have an awesome outlook in life. I know what's right from wrong. I know how to think for myself. All these things, and more, were made possible because my mom did what she thought was right.
I was never homeschooled either and I am aware that it is a hard task to homeschool your child right.. but like anything in life.. nothing worth achieving is every easy #=]]

Nil Sine Labore
Nothing without Labour

I love your attitude, Requill! If all children could say this about their mothers... the world would be a better place. Love Nil Sine Labore. Reminds me I need to find a Latin program for my kids :D

LoneWolfMuskoka
05-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi

I have 2 children and I am home schooling the younger one while the older one is in the public system.

I've been building a business working from home, so it kind of made sense to home school our son when he was having trouble at school. He is very near sighted which he copes with very well, but it gave him a lot of stress. Plus he was very bored with the pace of learning.

So we pulled him out just over a year ago and I started home schooling.

However, my daughter is another story. She absolutely LOVES school. During grade 4 and 5 she asked if she could just sleep there. She enjoys the social aspects, the sports and leadership training opportunities and the academics.

She sometimes wishes she could be home schooled because she finds the pace very slow as well. But she copes with it by finding other things to do.

The school she is at is a good school, which makes a difference as well.

So, you need to see how your daughter is when she gets a little older. Make plans for home schooling, but be sensitive to the fact that she may do well in the public system as well.

With strong support at home, your children may become a good influence in a bad system, and you as a parent can have some influence as well.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1