WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Text Ads or Banners??

veronica.l
03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
When you add ads to your site, do you have best result using text ads or banners?

Personally I use Google Adsense on a few sites and have had best result with text ads, what is your experience?

ccole
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Text and Banner ads works best for me. It's just a matter of right placement of each ads.

danasurvey
03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Text and Banner ads works best for me. It's just a matter of right placement of each ads.

I agree. I also use both Text and Banner ads. I think most people like a combination of pictures and words, and that combination has worked best for me with AdSense.

veronica.l
03-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Do you combine other offers with Adsense or do you use Adsense only?

Requill
03-14-2013, 08:38 PM
It really depends on your niche. I've had some sites where my banner ads considerably outperformed text, and vice versa. You got a fashion blog? I'm betting banner ads would do better. How about a finance blog? Probably text ads.

The only concrete advice I can really give is to always be testing. Have it your goal to increase your conversions weekly. Change up your placements, color schemes, ad sizes, etc. One element at a time - go for those small incremental wins. After a year, you'll be surprised at what you've accomplished. :)

geekmom
03-14-2013, 11:31 PM
It depends on what is being marketed and who the customer is. Sometimes one or the other and sometimes both.

veronica.l
03-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Totally agree that it depends on the niche and visitor.

If your visitors are after something "visual" like a specific item or like you mention fashion then banners will probably perform better.

"Information" niches then text banners would be better.

Looking at my own sites where I use Adsense they are "information" niches, that`s why the text links have been performing the best...

veronica.l
03-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Best way to do it, test what works on YOUR site.

I am testing text ads now and about to try a banner ad. I haven't ever tried banner ads so I hope it will get good results.

The ideal marketing system for any business or industry regardless of your product or service. If your goal is to gain more exposure, you need to TAKE ACTION NOW! (http://www.levelonenetwork.com/blogeffectively/overview/)

beckysmarketing
03-18-2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the response. I am doing testing on my personal & business blog but also using other methods too. It's all about exposure :)

SamanthaJ
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Interesting I will try a text ad in April and see how it works :-)

Louidam1
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I like to use a combination of both text and banner ads.

veronica.l
03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Good luck :) let us know how it goes.

Interesting I will try a text ad in April and see how it works :-)

jammesscot
04-15-2013, 02:34 AM
I think banner is the best option because banner attracts visitors more than text ads.. I have experienced this..

veronica.l
04-15-2013, 07:24 AM
I think it depends on the niche...

Testing your own site is the only true way to know :)

I think banner is the best option because banner attracts visitors more than text ads.. I have experienced this..

strokerchase
04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Banner ads work best for me. Specifically the size 350x250. Marketing Sherpa did research and they found that it's the best performer in terms of ad size.

veronica.l
04-16-2013, 09:47 AM
I usually use the medium rectangle 300x250 and that works great.

Where do you place the ad?

I usually place my ad unit in the beginning of the article with text wrapped around it.

Banner ads work best for me. Specifically the size 350x250. Marketing Sherpa did research and they found that it's the best performer in terms of ad size.

Anny57
05-04-2013, 04:55 PM
I heard that text and image works great, but it also depends on the type of niche that you are in. I am testing them to see which one works best for me.

lisadlastdegree
05-06-2013, 05:46 AM
I mostly use text ads but have a few select banners ad as long as keeps within the theme of the blog.

msuggitt
05-06-2013, 08:06 AM
I agree that both have merit depending on where you are posting and who your intended market is.

Testing really is the best way to determine which is pulling in the best results as I have found in the past that ads that I thought were ugly & outdated were really the ones that were bringing me the most sign-ups :eek: had I not been testing, it's likely I would have kicked that ad to curb and lost money :mad:

ReachRandy
05-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Banners are easier on the eye but not every piece of website real estate is appropriate for an image and a text ad fits better. That's why when I roll out new affiliate marketing offers, there are always banners and text available for publishers to choose from. And we are happy to review and approve text ads that publishers create on their own and submit for approval.

believersbelieve
05-25-2013, 06:34 AM
I think text ads work better than banner as it wouldn't be very distracting as banners. I'm not sure about the others. Let's keep hearing some inputs!

Xelin
05-27-2013, 02:39 AM
Depending upon the niche and visitor?

How can you know if they prefer texts than banners? You can definitely do a split test, but what I'm asking is how to know beforehand.

This is interesting as I have started affiliate marketing as well. For now, I'm using text ads. I'm a bit afraid to use banner ads. I think most people online ignore them and see them as distractions.

Nevertheless, I am yet to discover with my site.

veronica.l
05-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Yes, testing on your own site is the only true way to know. Good luck!!

I heard that text and image works great, but it also depends on the type of niche that you are in. I am testing them to see which one works best for me.

veronica.l
05-29-2013, 09:13 AM
There are no true way to know before hand testing your own site is the best way.
I agree with you that a lot of people seem to ignore the banner ads... might depend on the niche though.

Let us know your result when you have tried it out on your own site.

Thanks,

Depending upon the niche and visitor?

How can you know if they prefer texts than banners? You can definitely do a split test, but what I'm asking is how to know beforehand.

This is interesting as I have started affiliate marketing as well. For now, I'm using text ads. I'm a bit afraid to use banner ads. I think most people online ignore them and see them as distractions.

Nevertheless, I am yet to discover with my site.

msuggitt
05-30-2013, 07:10 AM
It depends on what is being marketed and who the customer is. Sometimes one or the other and sometimes both.

I agree along with WHERE you are posting.

http://www.wahm.com/forum/images/icons/icon2.gif OLD SCHOOL ADVICE > Just like basic Old School Marketing teachings, Affiliate Marketing also involves the who, what, why, where and when, when trying to reach your target market. ;)

jscotty
06-26-2013, 05:49 PM
When you add ads to your site, do you have best result using text ads or banners?

Personally I use Google Adsense on a few sites and have had best result with text ads, what is your experience?

I've always had the most luck using text ads, click through is always higher :D

Sanzay
06-27-2013, 12:14 AM

In terms of Adsense, yes the revenue that we receive is quite different. From my experience, text ads pay much higher than banner ads. But, its not that we have to use text ads every time. It depends on what your website/blog is related to.

littlemark
06-30-2013, 08:16 AM

It depends, while in many situations both can work, with Adsense I noticed I have a higher CTR using images/video ads than using pure text ads.

Molly Blazor
08-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi I'm new here at WAHM, nice to meet all of you! I haven't read through all the comments yet, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in here. Personally, I have separate blogs each with their own feel to them and I use banners and widgets to advertise in one and text only ads and articles in the other. I feel that banner ads don't create a very professional appeal; so in my blog that is meant to have a more professional brand I don't use them. I save them for my blog that has a more free spirited feel and wider niche.

rudolph007
08-10-2013, 09:48 AM
My personal preferance is banners and such just because it is very eye catching but after they stop to look they need to have their attention kept.

rudolph007
08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I agree. I also use both Text and Banner ads. I think most people like a combination of pictures and words, and that combination has worked best for me with AdSense.

will have to agree banners caughtch the eye but people want to know more.:eek:

writepro
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I use both text links and banners. How well banners work depends on the banners themselves - and whether they fit with the content of the blog or site.

As far as the text links goes... they too need to fit the context. They work especially well when you make personal recommendations and use them in that context.

And about Google text ads - I have no idea. I haven't really used them much.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1