WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Questions before joining

ReneeS182
03-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi! My name is Renee and I am seriously considering joining Scentsy. I really like the product, the safety factor, the variety and that there are so many ways of doing the business your own way. I am trying to get all the information before I 1- seriously talk with my husband about this venture and 2-join. I mentioned in short passing something about selling Scentsy and then over the next few weeks he pointed out every car with a Scentsy decal on them, which I can't lie it discouraged me a bit. I have been watching the Spring Spring 2013 videos on youtube, by chance, and watching them and others on Youtube talk about the company and the personal side of it makes it seem do-able.

I have a slight fear of completely failing at this since I don't know many people, don't have a large or even medium sized extended family and don't work outside the home. I have gone to 2 parties and both times the same consultant never offered the option of becoming a consultant so if I do join I don't really want to join under her, she's nice and all that but if she's not telling about the opportunity then what else might she not tell about if I join her team.
I do have a few questions and I hope I am able to gain some answers from those on this forum and their experience.

-So is it better to have a sponsor that is close to you or one that can sponsor/train/direct from a distance? We will be moving in about a year so I guess if I join no matter what it will become a long distance sponsorship.
-What makes a good leader to join under? (I've been watching and reading a lot on youtube and reading on the web and have seen some women that seem to be a person I would want to learn from but don't know if I would be missing out on something by not having a local sponsor/leader/director)
-If I join and then get people to join under me then how well will I be able to train since I am also just starting out as well?
- When you have the launch party, the hostess rewards would be going to me correct? And then any other parties booked from the launch would then allow me to order the perpetual rewards at the next party??? (I think I'd either use them to have examples or give away as hostess thank you's at that hostess' party)
-Is the tax part difficult when you get your 1099?
-Can you join as a married couple? (My husband loves to help when he's able or when he sees a part he would be good at helping with)
-Do you think it's necessary to have some type of catchy/cute name for your site or do you think your name works as well? (I've seen some really cute and catchy names but can't seem to come up with one myself)
-What other things would be recommended besides the $99 starter kit? (I know that there are no other requirements besides the kit but I also know that sometimes you need to have little extras for getting people interested, the basket parties etc.)
-Are there any other things you didn't know or realize before joining but think they would have been helpful to know before hand, like having a different account to have the direct pay go to and the pws fee come out of.

Apologies for so many questions. I've never done any selling besides being a cashier in and underwear, craft, and ice cream store so any advise is so greatly welcomed and appreciated. I just want to be as prepared as possible for talking with my husband about it and also to just get going once it is decided a good thing to do for our family. Thanks so much in advance :)

kjm
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Welcome, Renee!!!!!

Great to see you on here!! I think you've got some great questions and I will be sending you a PM with some answers! I think it's smart that you're doing your research before signing up. :)

Katie

ReneeS182
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Welcome, Renee!!!!!

Great to see you on here!! I think you've got some great questions and I will be sending you a PM with some answers! I think it's smart that you're doing your research before signing up. :)

Katie

Thanks Katie I will go look for it now :)

kjm
03-09-2013, 03:22 PM
I had to send you my response in two messages! lol Enjoy!!

christyvw2004
03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Renae,
Know that many of us have had many of the same questions as you. I think it is always kind of scary stepping into something new. Sounds like you have a supportive husband which I think helps greatly. Scentsy is a great product. lmk if you still have questions.

jenfrat
03-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Hello Renee! I'm going to do my best to answer your questions here:

-So is it better to have a sponsor that is close to you or one that can sponsor/train/direct from a distance? We will be moving in about a year so I guess if I join no matter what it will become a long distance sponsorship.
This would depend our your needs more than anything.
I know for myself it hasn't been an issue. My sponsor is in Wyoming and I'm in Virginia. She's always a phone call away if I need anything, and also has a facebook page for her group. I have personal team members in several states as well. For the most part we're good communicating through email, phone calls, and on facebook. Add to that the fact that Scentsy has a wealth of online trainings available, it would really be no problem having an out of state sponsor!

-What makes a good leader to join under? (I've been watching and reading a lot on youtube and reading on the web and have seen some women that seem to be a person I would want to learn from but don't know if I would be missing out on something by not having a local sponsor/leader/director)
In my opinion good leadership comes in the form of support. You'll find a lot of people who constantly do incentives and what not (even I do from time to time), but a good leader is someone who has the answer to your questions and is AVAILABLE to you.

-If I join and then get people to join under me then how well will I be able to train since I am also just starting out as well?
Your sponsor should be able to help you until you get your "sea legs"! Plus again, Scentsy has A TON of training's for everything, from sales to team building, available in the workstation.

- When you have the launch party, the hostess rewards would be going to me correct? And then any other parties booked from the launch would then allow me to order the perpetual rewards at the next party??? (I think I'd either use them to have examples or give away as hostess thank you's at that hostess' party)
Correct! Scentsy is awesome in that it allows us to use our host rewards for this purpose! I do it all the time by collecting enough outside orders to make a qualifying party. I then use the host rewards to build inventory, or to have product to use as giveaways at partys or events, etc.

-Is the tax part difficult when you get your 1099?
I've never found it to be as long as you keep very good records throughout the year. Some people hire an accountant, we actually use TaxAct and it's always been very straight forward.

-Can you join as a married couple? (My husband loves to help when he's able or when he sees a part he would be good at helping with)
Yes! There are several consultants who are actually "teams"

-Do you think it's necessary to have some type of catchy/cute name for your site or do you think your name works as well? (I've seen some really cute and catchy names but can't seem to come up with one myself)
I use my own name, although I have a cute email address. :)

-What other things would be recommended besides the $99 starter kit? (I know that there are no other requirements besides the kit but I also know that sometimes you need to have little extras for getting people interested, the basket parties etc.)
If you can, basket testers would be great so that you can start doing basket parties right away. I also got things like bars and scent circles to use as party gifts in the beginning.

-Are there any other things you didn't know or realize before joining but think they would have been helpful to know before hand, like having a different account to have the direct pay go to and the pws fee come out of.
I can't think of anything that surprised me...I researched for MANY months before I joined.

If you have any other questions, or if I didn't answer something thoroughly enough, please do not hesitate to PM me...I would be happy to answer any other questions you have...I hope I've helped!!!!

LAscents
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi Renee, You're asking some great questions.

***I pick answer C: It's better to have a sponsor with whom you have a similar business and/or communication style, as well as one who has experience and availability for you . Location isn't really relevant. My entire team is long distance. Some prefer to make sure their sponsor isn't local so they're not stepping on toes or someone on the team isn't already trying to "claim" certain people, areas or businesses as their own. We don't have territories so customers are free to do biz with whomever they choose. Sometimes I hear people say they want a local person because of meetings and being able to swap product when in actuality, many are straying away from traditional 1990's type direct sales 'meetings' and instead are meeting the individual needs of the individual consultant. And as far as swapping product, it's been my experience this really isn't a genuine concern or need and even so, many consultants have sadly been burned with not getting product or supplies returned or returned in same condition, so loaning isn't a big part of this business, at least not big enough to be a deciding factor.

-What makes a good leader to join under?
***This is a loaded question but one main quality of a good leader is one who leads by example. For example, if you choose to build a team and recruit team members, then in order to get paid on downline sales, you need to have a minimum of $500 each calendar month. This shows you are working your business, holding parties or doing events. If you join under a sponsor who isn't even doing the minimum, then that's not leading.

-If I join and then get people to join under me then how well will I be able to train since I am also just starting out as well.
***That won't be a factor because A. we have an extensive training center and resource tab that essentially gives you all the tools (and answers) needed to run your business on your own. And B. You're not on your own, you have your sponsor, whom you carefully selected to help you along the way. You'd simply tell your new recruits that you're also learning and if you don't have the answer you'll find out and you'll learn together. Many directors also have team and group pages, many of them on Facebook, so you're always closely connected with others should your sponsor be sleeping or not available if you have immediate questions.

***That is correct. You'll always have the perpetual reward available with each party to use at your discretion. Many use it as a booking gift for the original host to use if others at the original party book one. Once that party is held the original host can select an item at half off. But if there is no other person who had bookings from her original party, then you're welcome to use the extra half off for yourself or as a door prize or as a demo to set up in businesses or however you see fit.

-Is the tax part difficult when you get your 1099
***Do you mean to do your own taxes? The answer is 'it depends'. Remember you're starting a business. You'll be an independent business owner, responsible to pay self employment taxes and to make sure you take legitimate deductions. If you're not a CPA or knowledgeable on current tax law, you may want to hire a professional to ensure you are claiming everything you're entitled to and not claiming things you shouldn't. Home businesses can sometimes be more subject to IRS audits because of inadvertent or willful inaccuracies in income tax filings. It's definitely worthwhile to use a tax preparer who knows all the ins and outs of business taxes, especially since they change every year.

***There would only be one SSN used to enroll but you could add your spouse to your account. The other option would be to file a legal business entity and join as a business using your EIN.

***Absolutely a personal preference. I don't necessarily agree that cute/catchy always projects a professional image. There are some who use their name, others something to do with candles and scents, others something completely different. My personal preference is to remember that you're starting a business and to RYBLAB - Run Your Business Like a Business.

***I recommend not going into debt and build your inventory as you grow. It keeps you motivated to build your business so that you can get more product and supplies. Those who quit are often the ones who complain they spent more money than they made. So money management and careful attention to profit margins are important. I would budget for business cards, postage and envelopes if you're planning to mail catalogs, a little extra wax to make samples and a smaller plug-in warmer. Everything else you can start adding to after you get your first pay check and take advantage that you can be the consultant and the host to build inventory.

***I've been in direct sales since 1988 (25 years already, yikes!) so there aren't too many surprises anymore. A couple of things to keep in mind is that it is important to 'make it your own'. We're given boundaries to work within and they're very liberal. So there is not one way to do this. It's important that your personality, your schedule, your preferences all shine through. You can get suggestions from others how they operate or what they say or how their set it up, but it doesn't mean that's the only way and that's the way you have to do it. Also, immerse yourself in the new consultant training materials. It'll be vital to get a solid foundation. And feel free to ask lots and lots and then more questions of your sponsor. That's why she/he is there. If you don't feel you're getting the help or support you need, keep reaching up the upline until you reach your top level. Directors, Star DIrectors and Superstar Directors are there to help everyone, just reach out if you need it.

kainsley\
03-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Hi Renee! Best of luck in your decision. You will love Scentsy & it sounds like you're going to do great because of the questions you've asked.

Scent N More
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Good Afternoon Renee! Let's start off with your goals. What are your plans? Would you like to have an external website of your own? The reason I ask these questions is to get a better feel of your personal goals. Scentsy is a great business opportunity depending on what direction you would like to take. Some of us do home parties, events, and fundraisers. Other consultants may be Online Scentsy Consultants. Maybe a combination of both.

Your husband is right in his observation. There are alot of consultants. But here is the key. Find a sponsor that shares your goals. The outcome makes you far more ahead of those just coming in. Communication will be the key at first. In other words find a sponsor that will inspire you to keep going and is able to give you the tools to attain your goals.

Finally, the fear of failure is a point of view. Knowledge is power. You can't fail if your learning something new. All knowledge you collect will empower other goals you may have. Again as I said find a sponsor that shares your goals. Taking the 1st step is the hardest. Working your home business every day becomes easier if you have the right tools. Your less likely to give up if you see value in the skills you acquire. Just like working outside the home. As you spend the time and effort you slowly but surely move towards your ultimate success. But its up to you. I wish you many success in all you do. Good luck finding your sponsor. Have a great day!

Best regards, Sherry E. ;)

PS Here is the tax info for this year. Tax forms for Scentsy Family Consultants who have earned at least $600 (USD)/$500 (CAD) in commissions and prizes in 2012 will be available by Jan. 31, 2013, for U.S. Consultants and by Feb. 28, 2013, for Canada Consultants. You should be able to start looking for the forms starting the week of Jan.

ReneeS182
03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Renae,
Know that many of us have had many of the same questions as you. I think it is always kind of scary stepping into something new. Sounds like you have a supportive husband which I think helps greatly. Scentsy is a great product. lmk if you still have questions.

Thank you! I am really surprised at how supportive everyone is. It doesn't seem like it is a cutthroat company like others that I have looked into. It is really refreshing to see a company and it's consultants Want to help each other rather than hurt one another

ReneeS182
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi Renee! Best of luck in your decision. You will love Scentsy & it sounds like you're going to do great because of the questions you've asked.

Thank you! I am really excited about what Scentsy has to offer and how supportive and positive all the consultants are!!

ReneeS182
03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
LAyers thank you for your reply! Very informative. I have also been looking at your site as well and you seem to be a wealth of knowledge in this business! Thank you for the great answers

ReneeS182
03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Sherry E. thank you. You actually pinned something that I need to do. Write down my "why" and my goals. Part of it is to replace the flight pay we will be losing from my husbands pay. A couple others are to build my inner confidence, share something I think is great and way safer than what I've used in the past and to show my children that hard work can pay off. I honestly am inspired by other consultants stories of success. I don't want to necessarily try to become a director but just like to do my best and see what I can do with that effort

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1