WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

bcsellew
03-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm considering home schooling my kids because I think I'm gonna have to move away from the school that they know and I'm trying to make the transition we're gonna have to make easier on them so I was thinking of home schooling. I'm a little scared of it because there's so much info out there and I'm not a creative person. I need something that's spelled out for me, what exactly we need to do how long we need to spend on it. I won't have a lot of money so I need something fairly reasonable if not free. I would prefer a Christian based program.

I guess I'm really looking for something all inclusive, with lesson plans and everything. I found a church that will sponsor anyone in the state and they offered some help like with field trips and had a lot of links for things like foreign languages and art classes and such but how do you know how many hours have to be spent on things like that? Where do you find that info? I think I have too many questions and that's why I've been feeling daunted by the whole process and everybody I know who home schools is really creative and seems to be able to just come up with ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keenun-Lemongrass.Spa
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Both of my girls are homeschooled. We live in Florida and Florida offers "Florida Virtual School" (FLVS) to Florida residents at no cost. So, they take most of their classes online through the virtual school. Their teachers are available from 8am to 8pm and my kids can text them, call them, or email them. I speak with their teachers often....it's a pretty intimate setup --- it's nice to interact with the teachers so often. The classes are open 24/7 because they are on the computer....my oldest daughter loves that because she likes to do extra work at night time. I do teach my youngest but, she takes the online courses as well. This works for me because I am just not capable of teaching Spanish or Algebra or Psychology or some of the other classes they have available. I feel like they are getting an excellent education in our home. I really love that we do not have to go by the school calendar.....they can sign up for classes and get started at anytime during the school year and they can work at their own pace. There are several states that offer free virtual schools or virtual academies for homeschoolers from K - 12th grade....I am not sure where you live, so I can't tell you whether your state offers it or not. If you are interested in having a look, tell me your state and I'll get the links for you.

bcsellew
03-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Thanks for your reply. I live in Alabama and I've been looking for something like that but I don't think anything is offered here. I found k12 but they're not in Alabama, but if you know of any other sites I would be grateful for any info you can give. Thanks so much.

Mom2Ben
03-07-2013, 06:38 AM
HSLDA | Home School Laws (http://www.hslda.org/laws/)

This link will show you the laws for all the states. Click on the state you want, and then click "legal analysis" on the next page (you'll probably have to register on the site to see it, but that's free).

Homeschooling is daunting when you're just getting started, but it's soooooooooooo worth it, and you'll look back later to say "ppssshhh... that was easier than I though it would be." :)

sunrise.rachel
04-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Mom2Ben gave you the HSLDA site with lists what is required for your state.

You said that you wanted, or preferred, a christian based program. There are several out there and a lot of them have lesson plans or it is very easily broken up.

I would also recommend The Well-Trained Mind Community (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/). They are wonderful there. I am Mynyel over there.

If you have any other questions just ask away! I have been homeschooling my kids for 7 years and used several (and I mean several severals!) different curricula :)

Infinity
04-12-2013, 06:23 PM
The Alabama Library system has a state-wide tutoring contract with tutor.com as well. Your kids can get free homework/education support through them.

Link for AL residents: Welcome to Alabama (http://homework.apls.state.al.us/)

LoneWolfMuskoka
05-17-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure if the reason you give is the right one for home schooling. If you do move, will you continue to home school or enter them into the public system in your new home?

If so, I'd say just continue in the public system until it is time to move (you said "might" so there may not be an issue) and then enroll them in the new school. That is one change rather than two.

But if you intend to continue home schooling after the move then you'd do well to look at the timing of things. If your move ends up happening during the summer or fall, you may want to consider letting them finish the year and start the home schooling in the fall. That is assuming that they have friends at school and it is a reasonably positive experience for them. Cutting them off from their friends early might make things worse rather than better. And it does seem like cutting them off even though you can still see them after school and weekends. That was my son's experience.

As for doing the teaching, there is a broad spectrum of curriculum and resources available. You should be able to find some structured that fit your needs. And you learn along side your children. You don't need to know it all, just work with them to learn it together!

There4u
06-15-2013, 06:20 PM
I homeschool my oldest, who is now entering high school. I'd homeschool my youngest, but she has Angelman Syndrome and needs daily therapy at the local Special Services School.

The most common and easy to use Christian curriculum is A Beka. Google A Beka Books and it will come up. They now offer two options. You can use the books and teachers materials, or you can take advantage of the online version.

Hope that helps!

Jeupi
07-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I was browsing on iTunes the other day and found an app called iTunes U. They have full on coursed for all grades, which include lectures for all grades. If your child is feeling a bit adventurous then you might want to consider downloading some of the college courses.

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 03:21 AM
In short, education is one of the pre requisites of progress for any nation. You will never witness any nation coming to light while ignoring education as their priority.

IntegrityPays
12-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Bcsellew,

First I want to say that you can do it! Second, there isn't one way to (do it) homeschool. I believe the second point is the most important. It takes the pressure off if the parent and child/student. Please contact your state for the specifics for homeschooling in your state. You may also contact HSLDA as someone suggested. They will have an outline of the specifics for each state. However, it is always best to contact your state to ensure that you are receiving the most accurate and up to date info and requirements. Some states require membership in a homeschool association and others do not.

Concerning planning lessons, tailor your curriculum and lessons to each childs needs and interest. There are lots of free info and lesson sites out there. There are also several online resources that provide curriculum for a fee. We currently use a paid site. We stopped using it for one year and returned to it because of the curriculum, flexibility and parental control over coursework. it works well for work at home moms. Your kids can be learning while you are working.

If your kids are younger, there are an abundant of coursework resources available free of charge. As your kids grow older and take on more challenging coursework free sites like Khan Academy and youtube education channels will prove very useful.

Hope this helps!

P.S. There is no such thing as a "perfect" homeschool mom/dad! There is no such thing as the "perfect" homeschool student. :):D

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1