WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Craft Shows

Chelsey Breanna Noble
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Hello :) I am a new scentsy consultant and have a ton of questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

I am going to do some craft shows in march and april, to help network.
My problem is I dont have a ton of money to spend on inventory. I'm trying to spend less than 150 on inventory...My sponsor said she has some stock I could borrow but I dont understand how that would work?? What would you suggest I invest the 150 in? Warmers, wax?? I do have the items from my starter kit and four bars of wax. Thats it lol.
Also do I need a vendors license to set up at a craft show?
And do I just charge the customer the amount of the item, like a bar of wax is 4.50? or do I add on tax and shipping?
Thanks so much!

nbfbaw
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
I would ask your sponsor for advise on how much of the warmers vs the melts. You will want to charge tax. As for the vendor license check with the location holding the craft show if one is required.

NYoung
02-28-2013, 07:21 AM
I haven't done a craft show yet but I have one coming up in May, so I've been doing a bit of research. From what I've heard so far, bars seem to be a hot commodity and plugins. The mid-size and full-size warmers don't sell AS well. But that's just what I've read :)

kjm
03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
I haven't done a craft show/fair yet but plan on doing one in the near future!! I will probably focus more on bars and some plug-ins. There are so many people with differently styles and likes that it's probably best to let them just order what they like when it comes to the warmers. And, it'd be great to also focus on getting parties booked cause that will generate more sales and parties in the long run. :) I'm anxious to hear what others have to say regarding stock, though! :)

mommysells
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Chelsey,
Here is my 2 cents for whatever its worth! ;)

I have done several trade and craft shows. I personally have quite a bit of inventory, but it isn't necessary! I do the same shows each year, so people know to expect me at their particular event. I have learned that at certain events, people expect ________. It is a learning experience. Trial and error. If your first show doesnt turned out like you planned, keep going to different events. You will find what works for you!
My first event ever, I had an assortment of bars and warmers. I sold some warmers, but the bulk of my business was bars! It really is the bread and butter! My last event before the holidays, I sold bars like they were going out of style. If i had more, I could have sold more.
For your first event, I definitely wouldn't go overboard.
What is the venue? Is it a small craft show inside a school or community hall? Or is it a well-established festival that people attend every year. Ask the organizers what the expected attendance is. What was the attendance last year?
If I were you, I would set up your personal warmer (or 2) with one of the "Favorites" melting. If you have other warmers in stock, take those out of the box and display them. If you dont have any, I might order 1 or 2. I would concentrate on bars. Favorites and any that have been best sellers for you. A few new scents b/c people always ask "What's new?"
Seasonal warmers are good choices b/c if someone already has a warmer, chances are they haven't seen or purchased the newest ones like Easter Egg, Green Thumb, or Big Apple.
Remember, the best thing you can bring is your smile and a Positive attitude!
Best of Luck!!
Jennifer Hicks-Enemark

mommysells
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Sorry!
I forgot the part about taxes!
I charge regular price for the bars + tax. You DO need to collect tax because you PAID tax when you purchased the bars, warmers, etc.
If you call or email Home Office, they will email you the copy of Scentsy's Tax Certificate for your state. The event organizer should ask you for this, or the Tax ID #. (Which is listed on the certificate)
Also, after the completion of the event-- you should be given paperwork to fill out and return to for your State taxes from your event sales. It looks very official and daunting! All you need to do is email the person listed on the paper for the state agency. Explain that you are an Independent Rep for Scentsy, you paid taxes already on the merchandise you sold, and attach a copy of the Tax Cert. from Scentsy.
You should be good to go!
Hope this helps!

Jennifer Hicks-Enemark

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1