WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

armyboo1986
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Hello ladies.
My name is Courtney. I am a stay at home mom to two beautiful little girls. I have been actively looking for a job to do at home that can help contribute to our finances. Hubby has been in the Army for 9 years, and just accepted a job working in a Special Operations unit, so he can leave at a moments notice, and let's face it, when is the Army a typical 9-5 work day. With him being on such a short notice, one kid in school, another at home and not having a college degree yet, a job working outside the home doesn't seem logical since the money I earn would be going towards a nanny and that's about it. I am a very fast typist, and actually worked for a client through Arise, but the hours and pay were not worth it...and let's face it when I have one little one at home, when is there a quiet moment to sit on a phone? I have applied to so many jobs through this website but have never had any luck...what about you ladies?

happymommyandwife
02-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Hey love!

I am an army wife and stay at home mom of one and expecting another next month! I definitely agree! I could not stay on the phone all day with a happy, screaming toddler nor did I see the point of getting a job outside the home when the money I would make would go straight to daycare (I also do not have a college degree, yet). Totally defeats the purpose! lol. I tried many different direct sales businesses but they didn't work for me at all! I am not the seller type! lol! Have you tried direct selling?

I just started blogging and it's actually working out for me really well. I REALLY love it! I am still in the beginning stages but it is definitely taking off more that I ever thought it would!

CrystalMK
02-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Hello Courtney and welcome to WAHM! I would suggest looking through the telecommuting folder and check out all of the signature lines. There are many opportunities on this forum. :)

Igniter
02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Direct sales is always a way that you can start something and takes it with you wherever you go.

O2Girl
02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I am also an Army wife w/ hubby who works in Special Ops. I just signed on to do direct sales, for the same reasons you listed. I used to have a corporate job but when my husband decided 4 yrs ago to go back into the military (after a 16 yr break mind you!) I had to think a little outside the box. I am just getting started but am really excited to have such a flexible job that also can contribute to our finances:) If you have any questions, let me know!

DamselProAmberLaBee
02-22-2013, 09:55 AM
I am also a military wife and have been for the past 6 years! My husband just re enlisted so we are looking at another 4 years as well. I'm not sure what he is going to do after this time is up but as of right now I am a stay at home mom going to school full time to be a marriage and family counselor. It was really hard for me to get out of the house to do a job because paying for daycare would have basically made my working pointless, plus with going to school too I don't put as much time into my homework. I started selling Damsel In Defense products (self defense products like stun guns, pepper sprays, personal alarms, etc) and I really enjoy it! I am doing well and the products make me feel like I am making a difference when I sell them! I hope you find what you are looking for! :)

*In*2*Win*
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
When answering this post, please make sure to follow the below forum rule. When in question send the original poster a PM

We only allow ads or promotion in ONE forum area: Promote Your Business.
There are specific rules (http://www.wahm.com/forum/wahm-com-announcements-31/588889-promote-your-business-forum-rules-read-before-posting.html) to follow in each of the Promote Your Business forums, so be sure you follow them, or your post will be deleted by the moderator.

Ads include posts that invite others to visit your site, buy your products, join your program, include an affiliate link, include self-promotion, promote your team, promote your sponsor, say how great your sponsor/team is, or "I have that information on my site, here's the link", etc. This applies to all Rep forums as well, no advertising allowed. Please review information on what is allowed in Rep forums here (http://www.wahm.com/forum/wahm-com-announcements-31/589049-new-forum-requests-rules-read-before-requesting-forum.html).
Thank you

Eye
03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Sent you a PM! Courtney!

Kristen Savage
03-14-2013, 05:49 AM
You should really look into the Careerstep Mycaa approved programs. These are conducted online and MyCAA funding gives eligible military spouses the opportunity to train for portable jobs in growing career fields. You can find a job just about anywhere no matter where you're stationed. Hope this helps! :)

XOXOArmyWife
04-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Hello! For school; check out www.facebook.com/militaryspousecareers if you fill out the form; they can contact you about military spouse grant MyCAA also. They're very prompt, educated and friendly. Their stats are amazing and they've been in business a long time. Actual military spouses can help you too.

I am an Army Wife; I work from home with It Works. I have worked from home for seven years; so i've literally tried everything out there. I love staying at home and getting to meet other great ladies!

Infinity
04-04-2013, 09:03 AM
If you are interested in online education, tutor.com does a LOT of work with military families. First of all, since your husband is in the Army, your kids qualify for free tutoring through their site: go to tutor.com/military for more info on that.

They also actively hire military spouses as tutors. Something like 10% of tutor.com tutors are from military families. You mentioned that you don't have a college degree - however, if you are enrolled in a degree-granting program, you can still apply!

niraj12
04-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Hello,
One of the things you have going for yourself is drive. This is half the battle. Have you ever considered online businesses? Perhaps being your own boss and working from home? More and more businesses are going online.

You must do your research to find the right business and not get scammed. Pay attention to blog posts about any business and google the business as well.

Good luck to you!
Niraj

armyboo1986
04-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone. Thanks for the time you took to respond to me or message me. I have tried the home business thing (Melaleuca) and party thing (Avon, Scentsy, etc). I actually did take advantage of MyCAA when it first was introduced (GREAT PROGRAM), just haven't finished my degree yet. I'm looking for a job. A run of the mill job. I've been looking so long it just doesn't seem like it will be a fruitful venture. My youngest hopefully will be starting Pre-K in August so by that time I'll be able to get a part time job while they're in school, but I was really hoping to get something now to help the financial situation. I'm sure y'all can relate. It just makes things incredibly hard with hubby's type of job and juggling the schedule of two little ones as well. I appreciate all the support y'all have given.

Tell Life's Story
07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Lots of folks are posting about direct sales because you can really take that with you. You might have to find a new customer base in the area, but hopefully your old customers will use web sales and direct mailing from you so that you can still get the sale. It is a great way to start somewhere and as one of my mentor's says "take your show on the road" with you. Good luck!

empoweredmom
07-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Right, direct sales jobs/businesses can go with you where ever you go. I have a family member who is a military wife and that is what she does. It also helps her socialize with the other families in the area. Everyone is different, but for some its better than having to find a new job when they relocate.