WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

thepodandthepea
01-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Hello Everyone!

I really love being a part of this forum community! I have owned my photography business for 7 1/2 years now and have been very successful building my business from the bottom up.

Because I had so much help along the way I wanted to give back and open the floor to all you beginners out there who may have questions regarding anything that has to do with starting your photography business and making money with photography. I will do my best to help answer all your questions and get you started on your path to success!

So, if you have any questions at all, what are they? Ask me anything, don't be shy! I am here to help :)!

lorah
01-26-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi Jen,
I asked this in another thread and no one answered so thought I would ask here. I have heard the term "study" in painting, drawing and other mediums. For instance, someone says "I am doing a 'study' in florals. If I wanted to do a "study" in photography with say, barns for example, how would I go about doing that? I've tried to google it but all I get is invitations to join the best photography school on the planet! LOL Thanks

TommyH
01-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Hi Jen,
I asked this in another thread and no one answered so thought I would ask here. I have heard the term "study" in painting, drawing and other mediums. For instance, someone says "I am doing a 'study' in florals. If I wanted to do a "study" in photography with say, barns for example, how would I go about doing that? I've tried to google it but all I get is invitations to join the best photography school on the planet! LOL Thanks

I could be wrong but I think "study in" such as a study in florals is a term to describe one's effort to focus on a subject and form to better their techniques and skills. To show a progression over time from where you started to where you are when you finish that study.

For example your study of barns. You would take what you think is your best barn pic today. Then when you go out you change and practice your techniques. Changing composition, ie where the barn is place in the frame, different lighting, ie time of days, flashes on and off camera, maybe HDR photography is starting tp be used, etc. Then seek comments and critiques from others whose work looks amazing. See what they say they would have done to make the picture more amazing. Or when you review your photos look and say I should have done this or that. Then next time you shoot make those changes.

Once you feel that your style can no longer improve on a subject you can study on another subject. This could take years or months just depends on you. Also at that time take your collection and display them so you can see what you came from and how your style might have changed/improved. Best to keep a personal blog or diary to track what changes you made with each shot.

However as artists I always feel that my work will always be changing and improving.

lorah
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Thank you Tommy! That is sort of what I thought it was, but you explained it better. I think I am going to try one. Probably with barns but I also love old cemeteries. LOL Thank you again! I always appreciate your input

thepodandthepea
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
I could be wrong but I think "study in" such as a study in florals is a term to describe one's effort to focus on a subject and form to better their techniques and skills. To show a progression over time from where you started to where you are when you finish that study.

For example your study of barns. You would take what you think is your best barn pic today. Then when you go out you change and practice your techniques. Changing composition, ie where the barn is place in the frame, different lighting, ie time of days, flashes on and off camera, maybe HDR photography is starting tp be used, etc. Then seek comments and critiques from others whose work looks amazing. See what they say they would have done to make the picture more amazing. Or when you review your photos look and say I should have done this or that. Then next time you shoot make those changes.

Once you feel that your style can no longer improve on a subject you can study on another subject. This could take years or months just depends on you. Also at that time take your collection and display them so you can see what you came from and how your style might have changed/improved. Best to keep a personal blog or diary to track what changes you made with each shot.

However as artists I always feel that my work will always be changing and improving.

Tommy you are exactly right, hit the nail on the head with this answer! I honestly don't know if I can even add anything else to this you really covered it perfectly.

Lorah, just remember the main reason you are doing a "study" of something is to learn and grow as a photographer. It can be spread over a long period of time and your work will reflect your growth like a timeline as you go on. It is a great way to look back at the changes you made to better yourself!

lorah
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Thank you Jen! I like the sound of the long period of time part! Now to decide what I want to start with!

thepodandthepea
01-28-2013, 04:57 AM
I would say choose something you are passionate about. A subject you love and no matter how many times you photograph this same type of subject it never fails to excite you. Remember you could be focusing on this for a long time, don't want it to bore you ;)

lorah
01-28-2013, 05:02 AM
The problem is going to be choosing just ONE to start with! LOL I LOVE old barns, cemeteries and florals. I also love rivers and other waterways. We are going to take the Old Mill Trail here and stop at a different mill every trip. I love them too! So, you see, it's going to be a real challenge for me.

TommyH
01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
The problem is going to be choosing just ONE to start with! LOL I LOVE old barns, cemeteries and florals. I also love rivers and other waterways. We are going to take the Old Mill Trail here and stop at a different mill every trip. I love them too! So, you see, it's going to be a real challenge for me.

You can do a study for each, or you can just do a study maybe on landscapes. Barns, mills, bridges, etc. I would say would fall under more of a architecture study (this is what I personally focus on).

But you can def do multiple studies so you don't get bored with one subject. Just organize the shots on your computer, date them, keep a journal, etc. It's best to focus on one, and if it was me I would choose a subject you have access to on a regular basis. Say you can visit a new barn each week, where as say a waterfall maybe every month, I would focus on barns. I would still shoot the waterfalls, judge my shots, compare them, etc. but I would spend more of my focus on barns as you will be shooting them more. Maybe you have access to flowers on a daily basis this might even be better.

The key is to shoot and shoot a lot to learn and improve. Then the next study you do you can choose something that you have a little less access to. If you start getting bored or feeling stale about a study, take a break from it and come back to it at a later time.

To me photography is about lighting your subject in a flattering way, composing your shots to tell a story, and show 3d dimension on a 2d format. All of these will translate to each other no matter what your subject is.

Of course there are techniques for each situation you will learn, maybe slower shutters for waterfalls, time of day for best lighting on a barn due to the direction it faces, etc.

lorah
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
That's a good idea Tommy. Florals and architecture will be easier for me to shoot all the time. So I think I will start with those. I'll still enjoy my mill shots when we go and the water shots too. There are some features on the camera that I want to play with. Thanks for the tips!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1