WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : How to get started?

teachingmom
01-16-2013, 01:22 PM
I am desperately needing to get a flexible job to help with paying back my student loans. I have a masters in mathematics for middle/to highschool. I am currently working during the day as a teacher so I am looking for something in the evenings. I need to make $500 plus a month. I would love something where I can just grade, etc. However, the tutoring may be great I just have never done it. If anyone has any advice on how to get started, or where I would greatly appreciate it. Feeling a little desperate and I just don't want to go work outside of home for minimum wage at a fast food or retail joint if I don't have to. Thank you!

mankatogirl
01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
There are an abundance of online tutoring jobs,especially if you are good in math. Just start by googling, "Online math tutors" and then start applying!

On LinkedIn, there are several tutor groups that you could join.

Look every single day and apply at every single company that you think would be a fit for you.

When I started my journey teaching ESL online, I went back to an old and familiar web page called Dave's ESL Cafe. From there, I found links to online jobs and I applied. Have been working and have been making right around $500/month with tutoring 3 hours a day, five days a week.

I think the best advice is to join some LinkedIn Groups. With your skill set, you should be able to find some tutoring work!

Enjoy today and start your googling!

armymomof4
01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Ill tell my husband this info, ty

Andy78
01-24-2013, 11:25 AM
There are an abundance of online tutoring jobs,especially if you are good in math. Just start by googling, "Online math tutors" and then start applying!

On LinkedIn, there are several tutor groups that you could join.

Look every single day and apply at every single company that you think would be a fit for you.

When I started my journey teaching ESL online, I went back to an old and familiar web page called Dave's ESL Cafe. From there, I found links to online jobs and I applied. Have been working and have been making right around $500/month with tutoring 3 hours a day, five days a week.

I think the best advice is to join some LinkedIn Groups. With your skill set, you should be able to find some tutoring work!

Enjoy today and start your googling!

I have tried doing so but as Microsoft says, Google results are more about ads than substance. LinkedIn groups I guess that would be the best bet..

Another questions..Are these jobs long term?

mankatogirl
01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Yes, I have had my online job teaching ELL learners with Tutor ABC for 7 months. I've found some companies work with actual elementary and high school students and these jobs would be more of a contract job where you would work for a certain number of weeks.

This is not the kind of job where you get rich----at least not for me! But I do provide language help for students 5 days a week.

rhondap
03-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Yes, I have had my online job teaching ELL learners with Tutor ABC for 7 months. I've found some companies work with actual elementary and high school students and these jobs would be more of a contract job where you would work for a certain number of weeks.

This is not the kind of job where you get rich----at least not for me! But I do provide language help for students 5 days a week.

I am interested in learning more about Tutor ABC i checked out their website seems good.

Infinity
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
If you are familiar with upper level mathematics (particularly calculus and statistics), I would highly recommend tutor.com. The pay rate for a senior upper-level math tutor is $14/hr base, with the (very real) possibility of earning 4-12% bonuses based on performance. You can easily get 30 hours of work a week.

Jaqub Jackson
04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
There is plenty of such websites for tutoring online in the internet where you just required to sign up and get start. My recommendation is that go to Google.com for the batter websites for tutoring and start teaching Math at evening time. I assure you that you can easily earn up to $500.