WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

mankatogirl
01-14-2013, 05:55 AM
I applied with Peng's Foreign Language Training School from China and was accepted to be a teacher. The $25/hr wage seemed much more in line with what I think I should earn.:)

Then, I got the contract, I am to wire the bank $220 for the training materials (which will be refunded . . .after teaching for a month :eek:

Anyone else had this experience of having to pay for textbooks before you start teaching with a company? Thoughts?

And of course, I need to wire them the $220 first before I can be accepted. Which I really don't think I'm going to do!:rolleyes:

Ugh! I do realize that materials cost money. All of the other places have not asked for me to pay for the materials. So any thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

SuzeeQue
01-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Sounds sketchy to me. I would not send them any money.

Ivorygirl
01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I would not send the money. I don't know of any other tutoring jobs that requires this.

mankatogirl
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I didn't send them any money of course. Still thought this was rather unusual.

Always good to share information!

kcg2946
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
I also applied to Peng's recently and last night got the email offering me the job. When I looked at the contract this morning, I was flabbergasted that they would charge $220 as a "new teacher" fee. I just emailed them "thanks, but no thanks" for it sounds too much like a scam.