WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : anyone else hear this?

auntiemissa
12-28-2012, 09:59 AM
i heard 2 reports from people that AVON is shutting down? on another forum they said avon and jcpenny wont be around for 2013???

Lcart55
12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
I haven't heard it, but I suggest getting in touch with your DM or Avon and find out, it may just be a rumor someone started too.

TheButterflyMom
12-30-2012, 09:20 AM
I read that somewhere as well. Rumormill is saying that they are in some serious financial trouble and have turned down offers to buy them out. It breaks my heart if it's true, I loved being an AVON rep and I love being a customer more.

SAHMof2
12-30-2012, 09:40 AM
You should be able to get the lastest information from their website or the New York Times...

This article was from Dec. 11, 2012 and it states they are not shutting down but they are cutting 1500 positions and related actions. They will also exit the South Korea and Vietnam markets.

Avon Announces Initial Steps of Cost Savings Initiative - Dec 11, 2012 (http://media.avoncompany.com/index.php?s=10922&item=126192)

LemongrassMommy
12-30-2012, 02:25 PM
it was an article on Yahoo about a week ago. I know AVON has been having some troubles the last few years, but I would just keep posted on how the company is doing.

PinkPea
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
it was an article on Yahoo about a week ago. I know AVON has been having some troubles the last few years, but I would just keep posted on how the company is doing.

This is a very difficult time for Avon Representatives and customers.
10 Well-Known Brands That Will Disappear in 2013 - DailyFinance (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/28/10-well-known-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2013)

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this in 2013.

Pink Pea

michellej
01-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I read the article, interesting. I also knew they were having trouble but in today's economy who isn't? It makes me think though, should I spend a lot of time growing my business or less time and concentrating on something else?
hummm.

Thanks for the insight.

avonjane
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I am not an expert but from what i have read Avons troubles are not related to the core business, but one off issues that are unlikely to be repeated. Ie the purchase & subsequent devaluation of the silpada business, china , brazil etc. If they focus on the core business and stop worrying about growing share price by diversifying the brand will survive. As we all know, women will always buy a lipstick, mascara. & skincare!

*In*2*Win*
01-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Well put AvonJane

Besides, looks like we have non-avon ppl posting and stirring things up

liz.jewels
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
I am not an expert but from what i have read Avons troubles are not related to the core business, but one off issues that are unlikely to be repeated. Ie the purchase & subsequent devaluation of the silpada business, china , brazil etc. If they focus on the core business and stop worrying about growing share price by diversifying the brand will survive. As we all know, women will always buy a lipstick, mascara. & skincare!

I really don't want to get too involved in this conversation, but I'll say that there are many issues that have plagued Avon, and have resulted in a leadership change. Very little time has passed since the new CEO took over, and I think it's premature to say that these issues sound the death knell for Avon. That firm that predicted the 10 companies that will disappear in 2013 didn't get all of them right in 2012 or previous years, and didn't predict that Hostess would disappear in 2012, and it did.

Many of the people who post articles about the stock and company business or who mention having read them don't have a great understanding of what normalcy is in the operation of large publicly-traded companies and how to interpret this information. For instance - Avon turned down the purchase offer by Coty. Is that a bad thing? Well, the reason it was turned down is because the board thought Coty offered too little per share. As a stockholder, if the executives were correct and Coty offered too little, then turning it down is what you would want the board to do.

As a moderator, I'll just suggest that people go back to the original intent of this forum, which is to help people with their business. Citing news articles with inflammatory predictions instead of facts is not helpful to the representatives who come here for support and information.

Thank you!

*In*2*Win*
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Excellent comment Liz, thank you for sharing!
Im in total agreement!

Bonnie

kcarpenter
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I am also in total agreement with Liz. Great post! Avon isn't going anywhere. Let's get back to business with encouragement and support. :)

armymomof4
01-18-2013, 02:54 PM
As a former rep for a avon i was wondering about these rumors!

SAHMof2
01-18-2013, 05:13 PM
This is the email I received the other day: They are closing two facilities.

Dear Representative,

Asyou may have heard from reports in the media, today Avon announced that thecompany will close its distribution facilities in Atlanta, GA and Pasadena, CA.

Asa Representative with orders processed from Atlanta, we wanted to let you knowthat orders processed at the Atlanta branch will begin to transition to Avon'sZanesville, OH facility in the coming months, and that process is expected tobe completed this summer. We will reach out to you with more information on anychanges you may experience when we have more details, but rest assured that ourdedication to your service remains a top priority during this transition andbeyond.

Thedecision to close these facilities was difficult, and not reached lightly - ourAtlanta and Pasadena facilities have served Avon and our U.S. Representativeswith distinction for many decades; but it is now essential for us to redefineour U.S. supply chain footprint to better serve you and meet our futurebusiness needs.

Letme emphasize that Avon's commitment to you and the Avon U.S. business remainsas strong as ever. These changes will allow the company to focus on activitieswhich can best support you, help you grow your business and meet the needs ofyour customers.

Inthe meantime, should you have further questions, please contact the CustomerCare Center.
Best regards,
http://static.ixs1.net/site/2132/images/angie_%20full%20name%20signature25.jpg
Angelo Rossi

nv93446
01-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Interesting news. I'm curious to know why those facilities are closing down in those areas? Thanks for sharing.

*In*2*Win*
01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Its the economy
All business are trying to keep it real and profitable.

Its time to re-evaluate and figure out the best way to do things

Dudhhhhhhhhh
Bonnie

Jolly
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Merely a prediction.....these happen every year.....Not that it isn't possible..but some folks like to rain on your parade..It is a good idea to keep your eyes and ears open regarding one's field in any business..but it is also wise to use discernment....My guess is that if any direct sales company were to close down ..the corporate sources would not be blabbing it anyway ( i.e. Weekenders)

judecreek2
02-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Bring Avon back to the days where Avon was a household word.

That's why they need you to promote their products!

I believe Avon, who has weathered tougher storms than this, will move forward. (Worst case scenario: they will merge with another company which will still be good for the representatives!)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1