WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Anyone sell clothes on Ebay?

candysue
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Hello.
I was just wondering how hard it is to sell clothes on ebay? I have a lot of newer things, and I also have things that still have tags and have never been worn.

lorah
12-28-2012, 12:16 AM
I have been told that clothing is one of the best things to sell on eBay although I have no experience with it. I wish I had more advice for you. Good luck!

Katie87
12-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Hello.
I was just wondering how hard it is to sell clothes on ebay? I have a lot of newer things, and I also have things that still have tags and have never been worn.

Yes, clothes are one of the things i sell on eBay. The ones that have tags will probably sell quicker, and otherwise, i'd suggest only selling used clothes that are in excellent condition. jeans seem to go quick too. Also, since they can't be tried on, take a lot of pictures and put all the measurements in your listing.

Hope this helps : )

nbfbaw
12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I sell clothing on Ebay as well. It does sell quickly. I do new and used clothing. The new with tags sell pretty quickly. I try to sell very gently worn clothing still in great condition it does well too. Just take lots of pictures and put the measurements in your listing. Sometimes with used clothing or even new if I have a piece that does not sell by itself then I sell with something else.

candysue
12-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Great ideas! I think that I am going to start with the things that are new with tags first and see how it goes. Thanks!

lisamommy
12-30-2012, 11:25 PM
I have sold clothing on Ebay, although I don't have any clothing for sale right now but some shaklee T-shirts and other items. I have had more sales when I group items together in lots or pairs of clothes that are similar. I have sold groups of toddler and baby clothes. Always sold them with same sizes and similar themes like Disney or Winnie the Pooh. They always sell at good prices this way for me.

chrisyr7
01-23-2013, 11:16 PM
where do you get the clothes you put on EBAY?

Maria Lee
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I haven't actually done this myself but know a friend who has and she has always done well and sold everything she has put on Ebay. She put lots of good quality clothing on and it all went very quickly.

ashamom
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking of doing this myself. The namebrand stuff (BKE, MEK, Miss Me) seems to sell the best. I do searches and chose to see completed listings to get an idea of prices. Go to the search bar, then click on Advanced, then there is a box you can click to see Completed Listings. What seems to be the best (and by this I mean cheapest) way to ship clothes.

JadaKiss
01-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Clothing sells well on eBay but I found it to be a pain in the butt just simply because I'm running another business and don't have time to devote to clothes LOL. But I sell other stuff on there as well and just don't do the clothing to much anymore. But if you have the time and patience to devote to it then it can be profitable. I had focused on High End name brand infant and childrens clothes like Gymboree, Baby Gap, Hartstring, Childrens' Place, Oshkosh, Janie and Jack, Carters - those sell very well. I sold mostly in Lots. Some of the High End men and womens clothing sell well too.

WHERE TO GET CLOTHES! CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

You can find baby clothes at yard sales, thrift stores, goodwill, and craigslist. Just make sure they are in excellent condition with no stains or tears. I got a TON of clothes from craigslist for .25 cent each. If getting clothes from thrift stores and goodwill I try not to pay more then a $1 - $2 on an item. This leaves me a nice cushion for profit.

Make sure you sell the appropriate clothes during the appropriate season, that is very important.

where do you get the clothes you put on EBAY?

110mama
03-10-2013, 08:58 AM
What do you ladies think of buying new clothes at $4-10 each to sell. I'm near Downtown Los Angeles, so I have easy access to all the wholesalers over there. Also, I'm right by a department store outlet. Just last month they had buy one get two free on sweaters and long sleeve tops (winter apparel). Some are off brand items, some are last season's clothing.

How about shoes at $10-20 each? One store told me their customers sell the shoes for about $40. But they are club type heels.

CrystalMK
03-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I sell clothes on ebay all the time. It is very easy. :)

lorah
03-11-2013, 05:24 AM
I have a bunch of clothes I want to sell on eBay but my issue is getting good pics of them. I don't have a mannequin and there just seems something wrong with putting them on the floor to shoot as I have seen others do. Any suggestions?

nbfbaw
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I try and hang as many of my clothes on a hanger against on of my walls that is bare. It shows them pretty well. Or I stand on a chair to take the pictures of the pants that I put on the table or floor to show them better. Hope that helps

requilll
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Hi.
As a fellow eBay seller, selling clothes has its pros and cons [compared to selling other things]
Pros: Its nice to liquidate certain clothing that you have no intention of wearing.
Cons: Its a hassle to specify the size of the clothes on your listings. Your idea of Small may be someone's idea of Medium etc..
There are a lot of people selling clothes on eBay (used and brand new) but my advice would be this: Make sure you have pictures on your listings that would really appeal to your buyers.
Hope this helps!!

jacq1292
03-23-2013, 04:15 PM
I am actually thinking about adding clothing at some point in the future to go with the handcrafted jewelry items that I sell. Clothing is something that people look for consistently. Picture are very, very important and now eBay lets you take 12 for free, so you can show all angles, tags, etc. I think that just looking at what some of the top sellers on eBay are doing will give you some good ideas. Designer labels sell well. I recall years ago when I would shop Goodwill and I would always come across fabulous finds. So, if you spend a couple of dollars for an item, get it cleaned or wash it yourself, and mark it up, you can do quite well. Another advantage is clothing is a lot easier to ship than items like collectibles, etc. And free shipping boxes are provided. If you are considering selling clothing on eBay, I think it is a wise choice, just do your research. You can list 50 items for free to start, so you have nothing to lose to give it a try.

BTW, I like shopping for clothes on eBay. I've purchased a number of items, including coats, and have gotten great deals.

jacq1292
03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
I have a bunch of clothes I want to sell on eBay but my issue is getting good pics of them. I don't have a mannequin and there just seems something wrong with putting them on the floor to shoot as I have seen others do. Any suggestions?

I agree that putting clothing on the floor is really tacky. Any blank wall where you can add a nail or some could serve well. Another option would be hang it against a closet door, a bathroom door. How about an inexpensive trellis from a garden store? I'm sure you'll find something that will work.

carla_easley
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Its easy to sell clothes on Ebay. I would suggest taking really great pictures though. Your photos will get you more exposure.

chickenlittle6
03-31-2013, 09:09 PM
I sell clothes on eBay as well, but a little differently than the rest here I guess. I use a tshirt fulfillment company. Basically I advertise my tshirt designs everywhere and when someone purchases one, my fulfillment company prints and ships it to my customer. Basically dropshipping I suppose. I have made around 30 bucks profit in the last 2 weeks just starting out. The site is called tshirtgang.com if anyone wants to check it out. They also have a referral program but it's very hard to get referrals because you don't get a link to provide, you just have to know someone that is interested and then email them using a special email provided to you. Goodluck everyone

onegirlandtwoboys
04-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Selling clothes on ebay is not hard, but i wouldn't call it "easy" to do it successfully. I am an ebay powerseller and sell children's clothing. It's a constant process of re-evaluating what brands sell well and what ones don't. I try not to sell anything that I can't make at least $10 of profit on, because otherwise I feel I am wasting my time. It's really a constant learning/changing with the times/keeping the customer happy balance, but I do make good money from it. I only sell through my store at Fixed Price.

Karuli
04-04-2013, 09:35 AM
As other stated, you could group some of them by size as a LOT. Jeans are a great seller. Sometimes larger sizes will sell fairly well. Thrift stores are a great source for used jeans, also yard sales in che che neighborhoods for the nice designer labels. Make sure you measure the inseam and include it in auction, chances are someone will ask you for the inseam if you don't include it.

anitahd
05-16-2013, 12:28 PM
I have a friend who will buy a pair of jeans and then after she gets tired of them, sells them on ebay for more than she paid for them and then goes and buys a new pair. I think that is genius!

Deimante
11-12-2014, 05:43 AM
For selling my clothes I'm using vinted.com | Sell, swap and buy secondhand clothing and accessories! (http://www.vinted.com/) and for selling my items I'm using eBay you should try this!

gatosesapatos
11-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Make good sales on ebay and rarely have problems with them. And a great platform to be able to sell and alé to perform blindfold on it I also saw in my store.

cashplatoon
01-15-2015, 11:15 AM
when selling on ebay the trick is not to be in a hurry, i have a deposit in Fl and i save a lot of my stuff there, and i have it posted on ebay, every now and then some items are sold, even the most unexpected clothing i think nobody will ever buy actually gets sold, so yes you will make money just dont expect it to be overnight, dont get me wrong it could happen but requires patience

RealityShowFan
01-26-2015, 08:26 PM
When I was in grad school about 8 years ago, I earned extra money by going to the local goodwill stores and searching for sports jerseys, blue jeans and ties.

Jerseys are easier to buy after the season ends and sell well right before it starts a year. Blue jeans are always great if you get the good brands, and ties are just huge profit since they can often be picked up for a quarter. I was always about to find a couple ties each week between the Goodwills that I hit.

Good luck

Cedar14
01-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Lots of good advice already. My experience has been brand new things with or without tags sell the best. Brand names sell even better. Take clear pictures and on hangers like others have said. I have had the most luck with designer handbags and baby clothes.

THRIVEwithSHANDA
01-28-2015, 08:48 AM
My sister sells clearance Gymboree clothes and makes a good chunk of money. She get them on clearance with coupons.

homebusinesswebsites
02-10-2015, 02:38 PM
It's easy to sell clothes on ebay, there's a buyer for every product. New items and brand name items sell best, particularly name brand jeans and surfwear.

Online Sam
02-10-2015, 06:14 PM
I remember my first ebay demonstration from a friend way back when - he sold an old soccer ball I had in my hands at the time.

True - buyer for every product. You'll find a little market of your own - certainly.

CherylK
02-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow! These are all such good tips! I've sold items on Ebay but never clothing. I actually have clothing that I've purchased and have never worn so I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks, everyone!

mountainmom5
02-14-2015, 08:24 PM
This is a great informative thread! I have been selling on Ebay off and on for years, and after kinda being in a slump for awhile, I am getting back into it. I don't sell a lot of clothes but have been thinking about doing that more and you gals sure make it sound easy!

I agree tho that there is a buyer for almost everything and many of us just kinda find a niche that works for us. I have done very well with homeschool curriculum, toys and just odds n ends over the years. But always looking to step outside my comfort zone. :)

imogene
03-10-2015, 05:26 PM
I have done very well selling clothes that I get from charity stores. It is amazing what top brands people discard when they are nearly new.

annmarisw
03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
I love selling on ebay. I can usually make a least a couple hundred a month!

TheUnextreme
04-29-2015, 10:19 AM
It seems everyone except for me has luck with selling clothing on eBay. I tend to steer clear of clothing because of one bad past experience. The person broke a strap to a shoe after they had worn the shoes and said that they were shipped to her that way. eBay refunded their money from my account. I just don't like to mess with clothes.

mrswahm
06-15-2015, 10:02 AM
I've sold off and on for years; I have a really cool story to share about someone I met, here in Northern California. Her name is Miriam and she sells used shoes on eBay - Google 'Blue Frog Shoes" and her link will come up to her eBay store. She buys shoes on the garage sale circuit and then turns around and sell them for $29 - $39.00 per pair. This seems to be her sweet spot, but she does sell shoes at higher pricing.

I've ran into her at garage sales and she's always grabbing shoes for a $1-$2 oer pair. She is averaging about 140 sales per month. Not bad, huh?

LeLa17
06-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Great Day,
Ebay........hands down one of the greatest online merchant platforms to exist.
Since I began on Ebay it was a struggle to find that niche or product that could turn a buck into two...With a few items around the house i started my adventure. At the beginning it was great then i ran out of stuff to sell, it somewhat became addicting. So one thing turned into another and while researching what niche i could get in on gaining financial freedom like others I stumbled on gold......CELL PHONES.......
not just any cellphone, but broken, used, and new smartphones. A guy on Youtube showed me how he did it and i simply followed his direction. Go to craigslist compare and contrast on ebay and flip your money in 3 days.....its that simple....

selling clothes is a great business there are many people on ebay that become successful from that industry...but its to crowded and "a piece of the pie" is to thin to gain substantial income with 15% fees from ebay and paypal total...Technology is getting stronger each and every second!!!! think about it...

jsminecalifornia
06-15-2015, 09:12 PM
not to mention paypal probation

jrcorbes
08-06-2015, 01:41 AM
I dont have experience n selling clothes on ebay but on Instagram i can tell you the rate is high especially if you have a lot of followers :)

cagnew
08-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I've been selling clothes too, but on facebook. They have a ton of buy/sell groups in various categories you can request to join. The only fee's you have to pay are the paypal fee's (2.9% plus .30). It's definitely different since the rules change from group to group, and you really have to stay organized if you cross post items. It's been a couple weeks for me and I've done fairly well. My sister also sells books on there and made $1,000 one month! She finds great kids books for ridiculous prices at thrift stores near her.

I like having different options for selling clothing. If something doesn't go on facebook, I can turn to eBay. Twice a year, my local town has a kids consignment sale so I usually pick up stuff at thrift stores and sell it there (the fee is a little steep though... 25% of your sales, plus $10). If you have a lot, and the price is right, you can even sell on craigslist.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1