WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Considering Scentsy...

kjm
12-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Katie and I wanted to introduce myself on here. I absolutely love Scentsy! I use it every day and just can't get enough of it!

Now, I'm considering becoming a consultant, however I would need to work it primarily online--so those that work Scentsy primarily online, please give any info/tips/suggestions you may have! I have several friends that are already consultants, however they work their biz primarily by doing parties ... which I don't have much time to do that so I would prefer signing up with someone who is knowledgeable in working it successfully online. I provide child care in my home and am always home working with the kiddos... so it's difficult for me to go out and work/do parties as I'm already working 7:30 in the morning til 6:00 at night (then however long it takes to get the house clean/ready for the next day).

The main reason I would like to sign up and become a consultant (besides the obvious fact that I'm obsessed w/ it and would love the discounts alone)... is that I want to bring in more money for saving up to adopt. My husband and I have a daughter and have been trying for about 2 years now to have another child. After multiple miscarriages, we later found out, after genetic testings, that the reason we kept having miscarriages was because there is something genetically wrong. We are very blessed to have a healthy daughter and we do have the chance of having another healthy child... however at this time we're looking into adopting, which isn't cheap!!! So, with my passion already there for Scentsy...and a passion for having another child I am thinking that maybe Scentsy would be a good fit for me. I have been debating between Scentsy and another jewelry company...but I am leaning more towards Scentsy at this time.

My initial questions are- Is there a monthly cost with Scentsy to become a consultant? What is the start up cost? what is the compensation plan? Do you have to meet a certain amount of sales each month? Can you make a good amount of $$ by just making sales? Or do you have to sign up more consultants in order to make good money?

I'm sure I will have additional questions later on.. but all input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!! :)

Katie

christyvw2004
12-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Hello Katie,
I myself thing Scentsy is a great "deal" for businesses. $99 gets you enough product to get your business off the road. We start off at making 20% until you reach lifetime sales of $1000....which is very doable your first month...when you hit the $1000 you will start making 25% on sales....many skip right over the 20% and hit the 25%. And when and if you get recruits you will have the potential to make a % of their sales. The only requirement to stay a consultant is to order at least $1 in sales in the last 6 months of the year. I can also send you more info if you would like. We also will have a great promotion in January which will help jumpstart you business. Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions. Hey I think it would be a great christmas present for yourself. Their are some faq on my website. Take care.

LAscents
12-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi Katie,

I've been with Scentsy since 2006 and work my biz exclusively online due to medical challenges. It is possible to make decent money, yet in some aspects it is the harder way to go - because for the most part, you're getting sales one at a time, without you actually being in front of a group of people, as you would at a home party. Not at all trying to discourage you; just making sure you have realistic expectations. I've had people sign up and 3 weeks later get discouraged because sales weren't flocking to their website. If you're willing to put the time into it, it can be very worthwhile.

If you don't have internet marketing experience you can certainly learn, but it's a process. I would encourage you to sign with a sponsor who shares tips and techniques with her/his team to help you in your online journey. You also need to be very careful what and how you share your business online. Scentsy allows us much freedom in our methodologies, but as with any direct sales company, there are guidelines and policies we have to work within. Work with someone who has an intimate understanding of what we can and cannot do online.

With regard to your questions:

My initial questions are- Is there a monthly cost with Scentsy to become a consultant? What is the start up cost?

**Start up kits in the US are $99, plus $10 shipping, plus whatever your local sales tax rate. Your website is included for 3 months when you enroll. It's an optional $10 per month thereafter, however if you're planning to accept online orders, then for you it would be more mandatory than optional. Those not choosing to work online can still place orders without having a $10 monthly web subscription.

What is the compensation plan?
**20-39%

Do you have to meet a certain amount of sales each month?
**If you're a personal user or just want to focus on personal sales, there is no monthly requirement. If you are building a team and want to receive leadership bonuses on downline sales, then it's $500 personal retail sales each month you want to receive the additional monies.

Can you make a good amount of $$ by just making sales?
***Yes, but at most you'd be able to make on just personal sales is 30%. So if you sold $5k personal retail sales in one month, you'd only earn $1,500 for that month.

Or do you have to sign up more consultants in order to make good money?
***"Good money" means different things to different people. There is more income to be earned if you split your time between personal sales and leading a team.

Amber Rose
12-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi, Katie! :) I'm going to PM you - we are both in the same situation and I think Scentsy would be great for you :)

kainsley\
12-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I do most everything online at this point. Best of luck in your decision. It can be done with some effort.

TSmom
12-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I recently got the Scensty Air Force Warmer...love it!

laurenhop7
12-23-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi Katie,

I am adopted so I just think its so great you are going to do that!! I am not a Scensty consultant yet but I'm going to be joining right after the new year. I've been doing a lot of research and you might also want to consider doing basket parties. That way you can still have parties out there with customers touching and smelling the product, but without you actually having to be present to do a traditional party. Good luck!!

Lauren

kjm
12-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Hey everyone-

Thank you all for all of the information! I truly appreciate everyone that has responded and sent messages giving me additional information regarding the opportunity. I've been busy with the holidays and am finally getting back on here! I'm still juggling some things and am going to be responding back to everyone that wrote me! :) When I think of additional questions, I will write them here or in PMs. :)

Thanks again!!

Scent N More
12-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Hiya Katie, Just like you I have read through all the threads here. I agree with each of the ladies. The investment is worth it. I also do my Scentsy exclusively online. But I have a question for you. Are you wanting to build downlines or make sales? In my opinion focusing on one brings the other.

I would say before you find a sponsor consider what your plan is, does she/Team offer mentoring for both online and In home parties, and is your sponsor connected to many social sites since you want a online Scentsy business. Talk to your family and friends and ask questions on your social site aka Facebook. Also when you have a chance start looking at marketing sites and blogs. As a hint look into attraction marketing and get familiar with social sites you already use. Pinterest being a big one right now. Start following people that are already doing Scentsy online. Definately find a sponsor that has a external site. Though Scentsy does offer a webpage which your going to need to do your Scentsy business. Online Scentsy Consultants usually have external sites that they maintain and pay for each month outside of their Scentsy.net site. Scentsy does have compliance regs for our external sites. Ask your sponsor about the regs. Finally start joining forums like this one or ones that are in the same niche as Scentsy products are. Say home decor. Get to know your market.

Good luck finding your sponsor. Scentsy is a wonderful way to make some extra cash.;)

kjm
12-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Thank you for your response- Scent N More. When I get in with a direct sales biz, I think it's important for me to go all in and do both- build downlines and make sales. I agree with you- I think one brings the other, especially with a biz like Scentsy.

Thank you for all of the things you brought to my attention to consider with choosing a sponsor, etc! :) I truly appreciate everything you mentioned!

christyvw2004
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Scent n More offers some very great insite...but I will say that my plans changed about 6 mths after I joined...originally I went with the idea of just selling for myself and family. Then I did a vendor show and really love presenting our product to so many new faces...and offering the opportunity for those to join. Now I find myself doing more and more of these events...So for those whom aren't sure what you want....or even if you do...don't be surprised if your goals change. Happy New Years All!

Terese Ciaccio
01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
I am going to purchase a warmer from a friend. She is mailing me some scent samples and would like to see what some of your favorite scents are?

christyvw2004
01-29-2013, 08:15 AM
I really like the musky scents.... Vanilla Suede is my favorite, also like route 66, sugar cookie. I would maybe try a scent or two from each category. Or is you know you like florals, etc. pick a few along those lines.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1