WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

lisabathome
12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Is a Canon Rebel Ti3 a good enough camera for this?

archoda1
12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Best of luck to you :)

TommyH
12-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Is a Canon Rebel Ti3 a good enough camera for this?

I started with a rebel XSi so I would say yes. Just get your technique and style down before you upgrade.

Laney47
12-18-2012, 08:55 AM
My husband started his photography business last year with a used Nikon D (don't remember the number) that cost him over $300. I will tell you that since then, he has invested thousands of dollars for lenses, a studio setup, filters, computer programs, etc, etc...and just recently was able to get a Nikon D90 at a great price. More importantly than equipment is your technique and building your port....I can't tell you how many freebes he has given out, and how many hours he has spent on the computer doing editing. Learn the proper techniques, learn as much as you can about editing and photoshop and be prepared to not make ANY money until you are so good people rave about your photos! He's shot everything from travel to models, advertisements, traveled to various studios in Florida , paid for various studios in florida to get his photos to the point of perfection. I had no idea there would be so much detail, so much to learn and so little time spent together because of building his business.
Don't get me wrong, I'm so proud of him, proud that he has actually had professional photographers praising his work...but it takes hard work and more importantly dedication to what you want to achieve. Don't think for a minute that it's an easy thing - to point and shoot and to take pictures. It's not. He's working on a website right now because after almost a year he believes he has what it takes, and I do too....Whoever said get your technique down was so right...Good luck with all of it! Just believe you can do it!!

TommyH
12-19-2012, 11:42 AM
My husband started his photography business last year with a used Nikon D (don't remember the number) that cost him over $300. I will tell you that since then, he has invested thousands of dollars for lenses, a studio setup, filters, computer programs, etc, etc...and just recently was able to get a Nikon D90 at a great price. More importantly than equipment is your technique and building your port....I can't tell you how many freebes he has given out, and how many hours he has spent on the computer doing editing. Learn the proper techniques, learn as much as you can about editing and photoshop and be prepared to not make ANY money until you are so good people rave about your photos! He's shot everything from travel to models, advertisements, traveled to various studios in Florida , paid for various studios in florida to get his photos to the point of perfection. I had no idea there would be so much detail, so much to learn and so little time spent together because of building his business.
Don't get me wrong, I'm so proud of him, proud that he has actually had professional photographers praising his work...but it takes hard work and more importantly dedication to what you want to achieve. Don't think for a minute that it's an easy thing - to point and shoot and to take pictures. It's not. He's working on a website right now because after almost a year he believes he has what it takes, and I do too....Whoever said get your technique down was so right...Good luck with all of it! Just believe you can do it!!

Congrats to your husband. I too myself started my photography business a year ago. I had been shooting as a hobby for several years, learning too much about photoshop, photography, videography, lol.

When it's a hobby editing can wait, some shoots can wait, etc. But once you decide to take it on as a full time business treat it as such a business. You will have deadlines to meet, clients to please, and up front you have to know so much more about business then photography to succeed. Being a good photographer is helpful, but I have seen great photographers that are not successful b/c they don't know or learn about business. And I have seen mediocre photographers be very successful b/c they are great at business. If you are great at both then your on the right path.

My business is in photography for commericial work businesses and such, real estate and vacation properties. I am a full time sales and marketing, customer support rep, website design and maintain, editor of all photos, and lastly 5% photographer lol. I am sure I am missing a lot more.

There is hardly anytime this past year for family or fun things, I must spend 70+ hours working the business. Shooting in the morning, marketing/sales in the afternoon, then editing at night, and working on web stuff over the weekend when not shooting. One day soon I hope to add 1-2 staff to do the sales and web stuff so I can focus on photography and editing. Then maybe add some one to teach how to edit to my style.

lisabathome
12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks so much for the info!

ndswam
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm new to WAHM and just saw this post. I have to agree, technique is key! Plus a passion for what you do. My husband has a side photography business and we've been slowly trying to take it to more full time. He takes the shots and I edit so we can each focus and learn our respective parts of the business. Plus it's something we can do together ;)

Hope you started the business and things are going good. There's lots of resources available on the web to help.

Cindy

thepodandthepea
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Hi lisabathome,

I just did a camera review to help beginners who are starting their photography business and covered what pro DSLR's are the best to buy for each budget. The first one I recommended for a "Best Budget Buy" was the Canon Rebel Ti3! It has fast autofocus for an entry level camera and has great image quality. They say it is the entry point camer to Canon's extensive DSLR system and that is it a great price! That is why I considered it one of my best budget buy recommendations! I Love Canon, they make great Cameras and the Rebel Ti3 is a great one to start out with to learn the basics of Canon's DSLR system!

If you ever have any questions about anything regarding how to get your business started I would be happy to help! Message me anytime! I have been in the business for myself for almost 8 years now and I also created a how to make money with photography training series that helps people like you get started making money with photography fast! It always nice to know what newbies have questions about because it was a long time ago for me and I don't remember what I had questions about when I started. Your questions will only help me better my training to help others like us get started!

Best of Luck!
Jen

lorah
01-26-2013, 02:33 AM
Hi Jen,
Can you tell me the difference between the Canon Ti3 and the Rebel T3? I have the Rebel and I have to say, I love Canon too! Every camera I own is a Canon.

thepodandthepea
01-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi Jen,
Can you tell me the difference between the Canon Ti3 and the Rebel T3? I have the Rebel and I have to say, I love Canon too! Every camera I own is a Canon.

The difference between the Canon T3i & the Rebel T3 is:

1. T3 has 12mp & T3i has 18mp sensor
2. the T3i has an articulated screen
3. T3 cannot do 1080 video, only 720.
4. The T3 has longer battery life and a larger viewfinder.

For the most part the T3 has everything else that the T3i has. It also doesn't mean the T3i is better, different yes but if you know how to properly use and operate both camera and lens you will notice no difference!

lorah
01-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Thank you Jen. That is all "greek to me" right now LOL I love my T3 was just curious what the difference was.

SassySusan
04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
A camera does not a photographer make!!!

Jeupi
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I think its a great camera to start out with, although you should keep in mind that you will always need to save for upgrades. The Rebel is fun to work with and will definitely provide you with some good quality shots.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1