WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Just finished interview with ABC

SuzeeQue
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I showed up on time - they did not. :confused: I chatted with an IT person who said it could be an hour before anyone showed up. After about 40 minutes, someone did, and we proceeded just fine.

Be aware that if you do not have TESOL certification or other ESL certification that new teachers must go through INTESOL to gain certification within 3 months of hire. The good thing is that it only costs $160 for their classes.

I have my trial class on Thursday, and I am looking forward to it! Anybody have tips for me?

djunamod
12-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input, SuzeeQue. I seem to recall others here mentioning that they also had people late to interview them or not show up at all. Not very respectful of our time, is it?

I also never heard that TutorABC requires a certification now to the point that you have to pay to get one if you don't have one within 3 months. I wonder if they have some sort of special deal with INTESOL (which I know from my research is one of the big online TESOL certification companies out there) where they get some kind of kickback for it? It's not a bad idea to get a certification, don't get me wrong - but if you talk to many ESL teachers who are teaching abroad, they will frown on online TESOL certification courses, saying they're not worth much (which I don't happen to agree with, but I've been in online education for 5 years now, so I take it more seriously than they do). I'm sure that will turn some people off.

Good luck with the trial class!

Djuna

SuzeeQue
12-05-2012, 08:27 AM
She did intimate that there is some kind of deal with INTESOL. Since you have three months to complete it, I will be able to see if it is worth paying for. :rolleyes:

mankatogirl
12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
The class is only $160 and you get $80 back after you complete the course.

And yes, they have a deal with INTESOL!

Recommendations for the class:
Wear a blazer and a button front shirt with a collar
Relax and look at your web cam
Answer questions they pose to you
Write on the virtual whiteboard
Ask questions of them as well.

Think confident thoughts of how you will be able to help people who need help with their English skills.

Jody B.

giaibongda
12-06-2012, 06:47 PM
if you're really passionate about, do it. :)

SuzeeQue
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
So, my trial class went well, I thought, except for my deleting the title slide before the class started. I actually had to teach my recruiter, but she played along well and was really nice.

Now to wait...

TammiJ
12-29-2012, 11:38 PM
SuzeeQue, did you hear back from them yet?

SuzeeQue
12-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, I was hired, but my internet speed is too slow, so I can't work for them. :(

djunamod
12-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Sorry to hear that, SuzeeQue. Did you have to do a speed test when you filled out the application? I seem to recall that was the first step of the application and that I tried to fill out on their site and it wouldn't allow me to fill in the application because it said the test showed my speed was too low (which it isn't, actually, according to their specs). I sent an email to their tech supporting about the problem but never got a response back.

Djuna

SuzeeQue
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
I did and evidently it passed, but when I had the real interview there was quite a bit of lag time, so they had me work with an IT person there who said I needed to update my internet speed. Well, I live so far out in the country I can't update. I am at 6 mbps which is the highest available.