WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Erica Jane
10-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Ok so this is my son's first year in middle school hes in 7th grade. So far i am not liking how things are going and neither is he. He has ADHD and is not on medication but is able to focus in a smaller class setting. I don't do medication because he has enough on his plate with a heart condition. His ADHD is not that bad off anyways..

I went to his first IEP meeting 2 weeks ago and to me it seems the teachers weren't helping him they were letting him fail. Things i should have knows that were going on they didn't tell me until he got a D in one class and an F in another. The teachers didn't pay attention to the fact that he has an IEP and he needed extra help instead they ignored it until the day of the IEP meeting is what i was seeing because it seemed like some of the teachers weren't aware that he had an IEP and some of the teachers didn't even show up for the meeting..

My son is loosing confidence in school because of the teachers not helping him and because of kids bullying him. The first bully decided he wanted to stab my son in the back with a pencil ( no he wasnt suspended either) and the next 2 decided the would push him around on the school bus and throw him down the bus stairs which leaded to a fight and my son ended up in the ER because they kicked him in his chest ( and he has a heart problem) thank God he was ok.... I wouldn't feel so upset about the whole situation if the school and police were actually doing something to help in this situation.

So now im looking for a way to home school him and i am not actually sure where to go the only thing i know about this is the K-12 website and im not sure if that's what i need to use or what. .

So a question here
Does this work well with children that have an IEP in place already

Basically i just need to know what to expect out of this whole thing. I am a stay at home mom so it is possible i can be there with my son while hes being home schooled.
Any information you have will help me. and thank you all for reading this.

4boys
10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Hello Erica,

I have been homeschooling my sons for about 1 1/2 years now. My oldest is in 5th Grade. I don't know anything about the issues you are experiencing with your child, but I did want to try to point you in the direction to get your answers.

In our home, we are using Ambleside Online, which is a curriculum based on the teaching methods of Charlotte Mason. Their website is Ambleside Online (http://www.amblesideonline.org/). They have a forum that you can join, and I know that their are many other families on their that have had/or are having similar circumstances. The people on the forum are very helpful and willing to share their knowledge to help others.

I hope this helps you get the answers you need.

wahmsolutions
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I say "go for it". I think the one on one schooling will be beneficial for both of you. You get to spend more time with your son too. Good Luck!

emjo
12-31-2012, 02:51 PM
My DS is only 6, but I want to encourage you as a 13-yr veteran public school teacher: you are making the right decision, whatever homeschooling path you go down. I am not homeschooling DS b/c I'm a teacher or think I can teach, but b/c I know that the environment of today's schools is hard for a lot, if not most, kids.

Have you ever read Dr. Raymond's Moore's book, The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook? You may find it helpful.

Erica Jane
01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Thank you so much for all of your input on this. My son has still not gotten any new results since the last IEP meeting i have had. The teachers make it seem like my son's fault and my fault for him not bringing home the homework. Im putting my effort in it to return homework and they are not doing their part. Its so sad to see these teachers not be aggressive and be so mild on him and they think its ok to let him just get by. So i am contacting an online educator Monday morning. I saw the K12 website and will be calling them and im also going to let the school district know that this is happening so they can possibly retrain them! thanks again :D

Erica Jane
01-05-2013, 12:16 AM
My DS is only 6, but I want to encourage you as a 13-yr veteran public school teacher: you are making the right decision, whatever homeschooling path you go down. I am not homeschooling DS b/c I'm a teacher or think I can teach, but b/c I know that the environment of today's schools is hard for a lot, if not most, kids.

Have you ever read Dr. Raymond's Moore's book, The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook? You may find it helpful.

I haven't read it but, i will defiantly look for this and read it. Thanks for this info

Mom2Ben
03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm also a former PS teacher, and let me tell you... homeschooling is DEFINITELY the way to go! You don't need an IEP at home, because you'll be creating a custom curriculum and learning environment yourself. You'll be putting your son's needs above everything else. It's a win-win!

skinnybodywraps
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Homeschooling has come a very long way. There are online curriculum based programs which makes it extremely easy. My daughter is a senior and my son is in 7th grade and have been homeschooled all of their school years.

MastiffLady
03-16-2013, 10:55 AM
I pulled my sons out last year. My 6th grader couldn't multiply, and there wasn't enough supervision in my second graders classroom. (They were even in a Private school!)

After 2 months at home and with the help of Saxon Math, my oldest was TEACHING my youngest how to multiply! We also see less attitude and more focus from them. It has been a blessing.

cashforuonline
04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Homeschooling is so much more advanced than public schooling. It is definitely a much better education. I was homeschooled for all 12 grades, and I am definitely grateful for that. It is terrible to see high school graduates that barely even know how to read or write, let alone spell!
Erica, I would definitely recommend homeschooling for your son. He would greatly benefit from it, and you will too, knowing that you are providing the best education for him. there will be rough spots, but it is well worth it. Take the plunge, you'll never look back! I wish you all the best success.

mountainmom5
04-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Here is WI there is a system in place where you can get a computer for your child and the online courses will help teach them, in the comfort and stability of your home. The government or school system pays for it... I haven't checked into it but a friend of mine is getting set up for next year with it and that's what she's finding out. I think it's called K12 WIVA or something like that.

nicgregr
05-02-2013, 07:31 PM
The absolute best home school resource option is Evision Education. They offer a fun way for children to learn and have the largest collection of homeschool resources available online to date. They have just about every resource, including things used by traditional schools. Everything is located where you can simply pick & choose what you want to use.

Advisers are available to help, if needed but parents remain completely in control. They can even evaluate your child's learning style so you choose the right learning tools for your child. It is really awesome.

They are offering a 45% discount for WAHMs. Just mention it when you register and all your monthly fees will be reduced.

nicgregr
05-02-2013, 07:32 PM
evisioneducation.com is great

LoneWolfMuskoka
05-15-2013, 08:24 PM
There are lots of great places to take advantage of if you're homeschooling your children.

My son has some vision difficulties that made it hard for him to participate and created a lot of stress for him. Plus he was bored with the pace that the class took.

So I started homeschooling him towards the end of Grade 2 (my wife handles most of the French because she is French Canadian). One of the resources we really enjoy is Khan Academy. There is a ton of math, science and other subjects covered with 5 to 15 minute videos. The math starts with basic stuff and goes right up to college level.

They've even added an interactive computer programming course if you want to teach (or learn 8=) some programming basics.

It is all for free as well. My son loves the Vi Hart episodes so we use them as a reward for doing his work.

You can find all kinds of worksheets and lesson plans just by using Google. Explore, find what fits with you and your son.

I'd also recommend that you contact other homeschoolers in your area and look into the legal issues. There is a Home School Legal Defence program here in Canada that helps with that and I believe there is something similar in the US.

Jeupi
07-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Most teachers don't want to focus on the kids who are getting behind. Classes are so jam packed these days that it would be impossible to give one on one time with any student. This isn't an excuse for them because I feel they should evaluate the class and offer the special attention when they can. You would probably be better off homeschooling. If anything, you could just try it for a year and if it doesn't work then try something else.

keridykes
09-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I didn't post the question, but all your answers have definitely helped me as well. I am contemplating homeschooling my son and our youngest ones as they get school age. I am working from home now and finally have the opportunity! My husband is not really for it though, feels that they wouldn't get what they need socially so.....undecided still

LoneWolfMuskoka
09-17-2013, 06:19 PM
In my experience, home schooled kids are better equipped in most social settings as they learn to be with varied age groups more than children in a grade school setting.

Home school groups are everywhere for social events. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a group that will provide great interaction, support for you as a home schooling parent and a fun group of new people to make friends with.

Don't let the socialization myth stop you. It's just not true.

ZeeshanMukhtar
12-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Our lives are full of luxuries and facilities and all of them are due to the education. Our ancestors would have never thought of these facilities in their era and with education man has evolved itself and the very society he lives in.

mamatr
01-22-2014, 12:58 PM
I home schooled both of my kiddos with a cyber charter school. Using K12 curriculum, we had access to teachers and received free materials, a computer and a printer. My youngest had an IEP, and we also received necessary services. Because of the nature of his needs, we did have to enroll him in public school starting in 2nd grade, which has been a positive, but overall, we all benefited from the extra time at home together.

Working from home while home schooling was challenging, but a schedule helped me balance it all.

beFragrant-today
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
There are so many options out there. We found Sonlight to be our best solution due to the flexibility of the programs. I also found that I could use one grade for 2 of my sons.

My youngest has cerebral palsy and we were able to actually do speech therapy at the school he had been attending.

Since you are home, homeschooling is such a viable option. When we started HS wasn't very popular and there weren't programs designed to help.

One thing that you can do is look at all the options available and choose those that work for YOU. Don't try to make homeschooling like a regular school

One program that I absolutely loved was Beautiful Feet. They use books to teach history and geography and the books are truly wonderful and engaging.

I would break down the subjects and decide which program you want to use for which subject. You might want to use an online program for math (if it overwhelms you, it did me). You might want to use a reading program for history and language arts.

I'm trying to go through my mind on what programs we used for my ADD son. For him it was bitesize pieces throughout the day, rather than sitting for 6 hours. He was my smartest one LOL

Hope this helps! Would be honored to help you on your way, feel free to email me if you'd like.

beanandpumpkin
02-03-2014, 08:26 AM
We homeschooled until this year; the kids are currently in 5th and 7th grades. I'm pretty sure that we'll go back to homeschooling next year. It's a small charter school and I like the teachers and students, but these Common Core standards are over the top ridiculous. My daughter is in a remedial reading class, despite reading above grade level, because she isn't testing well. What the heck?? What is on these tests, if a good reader can't do them without loads of prep?? And the math they are sending home for fifth grade is similar to what I was doing as a freshman in high school! The teachers seem frustrated with the new standards as well.

I'm fortunate in that my kids have no issues socially or with bullies, so I'm not in a huge hurry to yank them out, but in your situation, I'd take him out in a heartbeat. Like, today. I'm so sorry that your son is going through that. :( I think that homeschooling will do wonders for him, his academics and his self-esteem, though. I have a couple of friends who have pulled their kids with autism or ADHD out of school and they're doing wonderfully... not sure what your son's issues are, but if you can customize his education, then it will be much better than it is now. Good luck!

Lamar.Virtual.Call.Center
02-21-2014, 12:58 PM
I am interested in homeschooling my 2 boys also ... I just don't trust the teachers and administrators any more. :cool:

susansinger
03-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I homeschooled my two... I had initially enrolled my daughter in the local school district and did NOT appreciate some administrators'/teachers' attitudes/approaches to education. I found them completely lacking and the expectation that everyone conform to the lowest common denominator was limiting.

My daughter continued homeschooling until sophomore year (high school). At that point, I just didn't feel like I could provide the resources that the high school district could give her. My son followed suit 'til junior high. He made the decision to enter the school district. Both had good experiences in the high school.

Homeschooling was, over all, a very good experience for us all. My daughter is now finishing up her undergraduate degree and has already enrolled in a graduate program to get her teaching credentials. My son is in a firefighter/EMT program.

Check out sites like the HSLDA for state by state laws that will apply to you. We also found a great community of homeschoolers that helped augment my kids' educational experience and provided them with a circle of friends. Good luck!

lorton2003
03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi! My 4th grader had some rough boys in his class at school, as well as some health problems, and life was constantly a battle at our house. I was so tired of fighting with him everyday and the the constant battles with school. At the end of last semester I pulled him out and decided to home school. I went with Connections Academy which is online based, and I LOVE it. He is so much happier and is enjoying life. Total change in personality. I have decided to pull my other two boys out and home school them next year. I think the whole situation will be great. Just something to look at.

rehouseavet
03-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Seems parents only tend to think in 3 ways, Public, Home or Parochial (Catholic) Schooling...giving no...and not one thought to the possibility of sending their child to an Independent School. By the time I realized what one was, it was too late and my 2nd child was almost about out of high school. Yes, it's a lot more *work* to get your child in one (visiting the school, filling out forms, talking to other students and parents)..with the worst part is having your child fall in love with wanting to go and never wanting to go back to public again! You will be doing a lot of hoping and praying that the grant comes through and they get accepted! LOL! .

Independent day or full time boarding schools have SOOO much more to offer both you as the parent and your child. They encourage academics while nurturing your child's ideology and thinking. Children who go, LOVE going and getting enriched in learning. Parents I've talked to, were so blown away by their child's new found mindset and achievements were a little bit sad that their child at times, didn't want to come home for holidays! The kids were polite as all get out and were much more better and mentally prepared for a 4 year college institution than they would have been, had they not gone. Maybe something like this would be better suited to your son because remember, Independent schools are not bound by the same standards and restrictions as publicly funded schools. Independent Teachers can go above and beyond to help your child find what makes him or her tick and develop an academic program with their specific needs in mind. Thus, doing so, will take that enormous burden of stress and anxiety off both of you and replace it with excitement and anticipation at all your angel is learning! There are many private schools that have scholarships based on financial need! Don't give up! And Good luck!

P.S--It's too late for this year..because it generally starts in Nov for the next school year BUT...do some research into various Independent schools, so when next Oct/Nov rolls around..you will BE prepared!

(Everything has to be completed (forms/school visits/tests) by Feb/March for the upcoming school year)

Stressing
03-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Hello. I just wanted to say I went through the same thing with my son. The school didn't help him, he had many problems, was failing, getting in trouble, and had a very hard time. They too made it out to seem like it was his fault. Even though I had papers saying he had medical problems. They gave him an IEP and said he couldn't fail. His grades got worse, though he was supposed to be getting help. I got sick of fighting with them and pulled him. I contacted pacyber. I couldn't be happier. He still has his IEP through them, he has accommodations to help him. They send you everything you need. It's all free too. They even set up field trips for kids to keep them socially active. Here's a number in case you're interested, or you can you them up online too. 1-888-722-9237. Good luck :)

Findaupair
04-25-2014, 04:12 AM
These days homeschooling is growing in popularity. The average homeschooled student scores between 15 and 30 percentile points higher than his or her public school peer on standardized academic achievement tests.

aunice1
05-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Homeschooling is the best education you can possibly give in my opinion. I'm a single mom and I've been doing it for years. I graduated my 2 oldest from high school, but put my youngest daughter in a charter school. It's a decent school as far as public education goes, but it just doesn't cut the mustard. She's a straight A student and just not being challenged enough, and begging me to homeschooler her. So I finally decided she's going to be taught at home after this year is done.

I hope your sons are doing better. Some of these schools can really be terrible.

YummyCutz
07-17-2014, 05:02 PM
I say "go for it". I think the one on one schooling will be beneficial for both of you. You get to spend more time with your son too. Good Luck!

I couldn't agree more!!

bebout74
08-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Our daughter was having some bullying issues a couple of years ago. We made the decision to homeschool her. She is very happy with it and we are glad that we did it. She continues to do it and seems to do well with it.:)

Our son on the other hand just did it this past year. I am his stepfather and his mother and I made the decision to do that. He was in 8th grade. He did not do well with it and is not happy about being out of school. We are planning on doing it this year, but his father is taking us to court to try and force us to put him back in public school. So, it has been a real mess to say the least.:(

There are many resources out there and you have to decide what works best for you. I would not focus as much on the curriculum the first year as I would just getting into a good routine that works out for both you and your son. Homeschooling has so many options. Therefore, you are not tied to one cookie cutter approach. You can even extend it out into the summer if necessary. What we found out is to just take a deep breath and not let it be too overwhelming.:D

KayceeWAHM
08-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I have been going back and forth on this and can't decide! My daughter is now 4 so we have another year to make the decision but I would like to make it soon so I can prepare! There are a couple of reasons I have considered homeschooling; 1. Not so great education in public schools 2. I don't want her being influenced by 'bad' kids and 3. Schools are getting more dangerous.

amzante
10-06-2014, 08:06 PM
My granddaughter is home-schooled....my daughter bought the curriculum and for the last two years it's going really well. She has researched various home-school groups for extra activities...it seems like once she was committed to it, lots of opportunity for groups for social learning activities were found...ie. music, science centers, swimming, skating, libraries, skiing etc etc....therefore the social aspect is also being fulfilled....it is a well rounded education.

Findaupair
10-07-2014, 01:54 AM
I think that your idea is a pretty good one. Considering the condition that you son has homeschooling might be the thing that he needs.

nfiles
10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Hi, new here but I homeschool 3 of my 6 kiddos using www.allinonehomeschool.com (http://www.allinonehomeschool.com) It has worked very well for us and it is 100% free! There are also facebook support groups. HTH and feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)

Dugsmom
11-14-2014, 05:36 AM
I know this question was posted some time ago but I thought I'd share my experience. Hopefully, you were able to get the answer you were looking for.

My son went through the same thing your child went through....he had a speech impediment so he was in Speech Therapy. He got teased a lot by the other kids and he was bullied by his 1st grade teacher (she denied it when I confronted her but the kids would come out of the class room afterschool talking about all the bad things Miss Gallagher had told them about my son and that was why they didn't like him). I ended up homeschooling and it was the best decision I EVER made.

As far as the IEP goes, you're child should still be able to attend his sessions free of charge. My son was in speech therapy so once or twice a week (I don't remember...it's been so long ago) I would take him to the school to work with the Speech Therapist.

I homeschooled him from 1st grade until 5th grade. He is an only child so he was craving so social interaction. Back then (about 10 years ago) homeschooling Co-ops weren't big and there wasn't much offered. Not like it is now. Plus, we are not religious people so the Co-ops that were available were religious based. When he went back to school (he begged me to let him to back so I caved and sent him back), they had to take the state test. He had 2 weeks to prepare and the teachers were sure he would fail (since he was being homeschooled and hadn't prepared for the state testing...I hate those stupid tests). He scored a perfect 100% on that test and guess who took all the credit. The principal and teachers...they say they were able to get him ready 2 weeks...whatever. It was the homeschool. It really is the best way to go.
I started off going to the state website and looking up what he needed to know for that year, printed it out and went through the list and basically put together my own curriculum. It was a lot of work so I started looking for a curriculum to purchase...most were religious based so it was hard finding one that would work for us. I finally came across an online program called, "Time For Learning." It provides videos, reading material (plus offline homework, reading assignments) tests, quizzes, and it keeps a record of your childs grades. I paid $20 a month for it and it was wonderful and made homeschooling so much easier and less time consuming. When he was ready to go back to school, I took a copy of all his grades from the site and gave it to the principal.
He is 16 now and in school and is in all advance classes and I owe it all to homeschooling. I am going to have another baby soon and I plan on homeschooling him all the way through. My biggest mistake was enrolling my son back in school...if I could go back and do it all over again, I would've kept him home.

thewriteoption
01-14-2015, 06:37 PM
I am so glad I cam across this thread. My 4 year old nephew lives with me and currently goes to a private daycare that goes through kindergarten. He's been there since he turned 2 years old. We already know he has a different learning style and definitely would not thrive in a public school environment. However, because there are only a handful of kids in his class now, he is thriving.

i have been seriously considering homeschooling but have been a little terrified. Your thoughts and experiences are encouraging though. It's definitely easier to homeschool these days with so many options. I am encouraged. And at the advice of one poster, I am looking into Independent Schools as well. Thanks!

empoweredmom
01-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Here are some options to consider: time4learning.com, bigmathtime.com (every subject), alphaomega.com . There are so many now that are interactive and computer based which the kids love. Good luck!

nm2015
01-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Wow - your reasons for homeschooling are my reasons for doing the same. We've stopped over here, as the kids are now young adults. But it was an unforgettable experience for sure.

The only advice I have at this point is to think of homeschool as a lifestyle (because that's just what it is). Education tends to take over everything (time, decisions, etc.) in homeschooling -- so beware. If you're not a fan of learning, it's gonna be a laborious chore. If, on the other hand, you love explaining things, experimenting and challenging the status quo, you're going to have one of the best family experiences anyone could ever have.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

dragon.rose
01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I am so glad I cam across this thread. My 4 year old nephew lives with me and currently goes to a private daycare that goes through kindergarten. He's been there since he turned 2 years old. We already know he has a different learning style and definitely would not thrive in a public school environment. However, because there are only a handful of kids in his class now, he is thriving.

i have been seriously considering homeschooling but have been a little terrified. Your thoughts and experiences are encouraging though. It's definitely easier to homeschool these days with so many options. I am encouraged. And at the advice of one poster, I am looking into Independent Schools as well. Thanks!

We are part of OHVA, which is ohio virtual academy, they use the k12 curriculum. Here is info on k12.com, you can also search to see if there is a virtual school in your area. This is a public school done at home, so they are required to take state tests, but other than that it is a great option. Since it is a public school it is free. They provide computers, printers, all the materials you need and you also have a teacher. But like I said there is a down side, if you are against state tests, this wouldn't be a good option. I am struggling with the common core thing right now, but I just tell my kids to do their best and that is all that matters. The state tests here in Ohio as of right now, do not determine if they pass to the next grade or not.

eduniche
02-01-2015, 03:02 AM
Now in these day home schooling is one of the best method to teach .In this shrinking world where technology is so advanced where one can reach to others so easily .Online tutoring is not far away from it .There are lot of sites where you can get Online Home tutoring site like Tutorpace provides almost all subject .You can contact at toll free number 18006656601 or chat with academic coordinator .

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1