WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Emotional Eating

Annie-Pat
10-07-2012, 11:57 AM
“It’s not what you’re eating, it’s what’s eating you.”
Bet you heard THAT before…

Well, that’s because it’s often true.
Emotional eating probably accounted for 75% of my weight loss coaching. I always have clients submit a week of their food intake before we even start. Sure, it gives me insights for allergies, habits, food combining, etc., but it also tells me a lot about my client, psychologically.
For instance, when a client’s weekly intake is cleaner and healthier than mine, there’s no medical condition, moderate exercise is included weekly..and she’s 40 lbs overweight… I go straight to emotional and self esteem issues.
You’d think it was obvious, but on an individual level, it is anything BUT. I’ve worked with people either starving themselves or living at the gym, and their fat loss won’t budge an inch. They literally are hanging on to it for dear life. It’s incredibly frustrating.

Let go of the baggage to let go of the weight.

Our bodies are great guides, if we listen. They protect us and say no when we are unable to. Sometimes they’re just trying to get our attention. Had a discussion with a client who was suffering from chronic head and neck aches…seems she was having a difficult time with her teenage son. Care to guess how she described him? A “real pain in the neck.” Aaaah.
Another client in an emotionally abusive situation spoke so softly I couldn’t hear a word she said. Asked her if she ever voiced her problems with her spouse. “Oh no, I’m not allowed to say anything.” No kidding.
The 40 lbs overweight client? Her husband had cheated on her and she decided it was because she was unattractive. So as long as she was fat, she could stick to that story and avoid the real truth – she needed to leave him.

Is it time to explore what’s eating you?

DeborahDeGrande
10-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for posting this!

I seen someone mention "portion control" for keeping ones weight off but that does not work for emotional eaters. They eat whether they are hungry or not!

They have internal issues that need to be dealt with so they can stop turning to food for comfort, self hatred (wanting to gain lots of weight so they do not attract the opposite sex-this happens to some women who were molested as children) and other reasons.

Just like there are alcoholics there are people that turn to FOOD during distress.

Annie-Pat
10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Deborah, you are spot on with your observations. Addictions come in many forms - cleaning, exercise, eating, anger, perfection, achievers....
and yes, worked with many women who became fat on purpose to feel safe from the abuse they experienced [and now "forget"]. Survival does what it needs to do.

thx 4 your reply. This is close to my heart.

DeborahDeGrande
10-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Deborah, you are spot on with your observations. Addictions come in many forms - cleaning, exercise, eating, anger, perfection, achievers....
and yes, worked with many women who became fat on purpose to feel safe from the abuse they experienced [and now "forget"]. Survival does what it needs to do.

thx 4 your reply. This is close to my heart.

Sure thing! It's nice to meet you here. :)

vemmamom
10-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Annie. Very insightful. I've seen Chris Powell take a wholistic approach when working with obese people and I think more and more people are starting to realize the role that emotions and state of mind play when it comes to over eating or eating garbage.

momsbusy247
10-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Thank you for sharing this. I've known people who have gone through this and I have seen how frustrated they become.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1