WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

MartezJ
09-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I am wondering how long have any of you been online teachers and how does it pay for you? Is it required that you graduate from a four year university? I am just curious. :D

djunamod
09-30-2012, 12:52 AM
I've been teaching online for about 4 years. As for pay, it varies widely, depending on what level of class you're teaching (college, high school, etc) and whether you're teaching a class or tutoring. Each school and/or company has a different structure. Some pay by the course (which might seem like a big amount, but when you do the math as to the dollars per hour, it isn't that much) and some by the hour.

Most online teaching jobs I've seen require at least a BA and online college course teaching requires at least an MA and, in some cases, a PhD.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more specific answer, but there really isn't any. It just all depends who you're working for and what the course structure is.

Djuna

mankatogirl
10-01-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a few specifics to share with you.

Right now I teach for TutorABC out of Taiwan. I started in June of 2012. I work morning hours from 7:00-11:00 a.m. For three of those four hours, I teach students. The other hour is spent looking over the lessons and then giving feedback to students. For the three hours I teach, I am paid $8.50/hr with bonuses for ratings that are 8-10 on a scale of 1-10.

When I first started teaching with them, my ratings were lower and I didn't get many bonuses. Now, after watching their training videos and incorporating many of their suggestions, I get better ratings and consequently, better pay. My average per hour salary is still only about $10.00/hr. I like working with TutorABC because I get feedback daily which helps me to be a better teacher.

Of course, I have applied for many other schools including Meten Online, Colingo, Tutors.com, Myngle, and many more. Like Djuna, I have a bachelor's degree and teaching experience.

Any other questions, just ask!

LilBlackDress
10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Most tutoring companies do require certification. It can be expired but it can't be revoked. Pay will vary. But many of the ones that tutor school age kids pay around $10-$11 or so an hour even with a Masters Degree.

freelancewriter
10-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I agree with LilBlack Dress and the other helpful people on this post.

Most tutoring companies require some form of teacher certification or training (certification to teach public school or training to teach English as a Second Language) and a bachelor's degree.

MartezJ
10-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Ah, I see. So would any of you consider the tutoring/teaching positions contract positions at all?

MartezJ
10-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Edit: Sorry to doublepost!

It seems from researching there are actually a lot of online teaching jobs out there, and they are very well known places a lot of them. Does anyone make a living from online teaching jobs alone? Also, what are the summers like? As far as work, are there summer school online classes?

mankatogirl
10-06-2012, 08:32 AM
If I may share my limited experiences here . . .

I don't make a living teaching online just yet. I do make between $300-$600 a month right now and am gaining valuable experience. Thankfully, my husband's job generates our living expenses right now although there is not much wiggle room in our budget. :D

Daily, I search these terms to find out about different companies where I can teach English as a Second Language online:
online English teaching
working online as an English teacher
jobs in _____________(insert country) teaching online

I keep modifying my key words to find more resources. So far, the best resources have been Dave's ESL Cafe and ESL World to find out places that are hiring.

I have two interviews next week for one language school based here in the US and another based in Russia.

My advice is to keep digging. I haven't found the magical master list of online teaching jobs so I go to site after site (not too efficient, I know!) As I venture from site to site, I gather general information that I find will help me. For example, almost all the ELL teaching sites require a Bachelor's Degree.

I do know there are plenty of online jobs where you would teach a whole group of students all day long but right now, that is not where I want to be. I want to tutor for a while, mainly due to my health issues.

Any more questions, please ask. I'm not formally recording my thoughts about this process in a blog but have considered doing that. I like to share information and perhaps something I have learned by trial and error may help the next person along.

MartezJ
10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
So what about teachers with Master's degrees? What do they get paid? Are the jobs plentiful?

MartezJ
10-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Most tutoring companies do require certification. It can be expired but it can't be revoked. Pay will vary. But many of the ones that tutor school age kids pay around $10-$11 or so an hour even with a Masters Degree.http://www.qijo.info/09ht.jpghttp://www.qijo.info/09ax.jpghttp://www.qijo.info/09jh.jpghttp://www.qijo.info/09bh.jpg

Are the jobs plentiful?

mankatogirl
10-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I wish I could be more definite right now but I can't. I am just a couple of weeks shy of gaining my Master's Degree and am making $8.50/hr plus bonuses.:o:o This is my story right now in life.

I really see this job and this field as a self-employment field. When you are self-employed, you can set your own wage. Of course, before you become self-employed, you need to market yourself, set up your own business, think of a business plan, and you need to have people recommend you. Finding a client base that will pay your desired wage is a matter of digging, searching, networking, and providing exception lessons for students. :cool:

I have met a man who teaches Korean students and he makes around $300/hr. He doesn't teach one or two students at that rate, he's has his own business and he charges each student a fee, teaches them in a large group of 50 students, and therefore, makes the big money. I don't see how that would be possible for me to do every day. I prefer to establish relationships with students, to gain their trust, to see what their needs are, to meet those needs. Nevertheless, he has gained the trust of parents and he provides the quality service that those parents desire. During the week, I do tutor one Korean student who is studying to pass her GRE and she tells me stories of how learning English is Korea is very essential for students. In fact, some parents pay up to $1200/month to enroll their child in an English Only Kindergarten. She tells me that having your child learn English is very fashionable and expected in her culture.

You may be able to find work teaching at a university but most universities here in the US require a Doctorate Degree. The pay for university professors varies. What I have seen starts around $45,000.

Look at your own financial needs, look at your life goals, find the amount of money that you need to live on and go from there. Network with others on this forum too, because we do share contacts and information.

MartezJ
10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I wish I could be more definite right now but I can't. I am just a couple of weeks shy of gaining my Master's Degree and am making $8.50/hr plus bonuses.:o:o This is my story right now in life.

I really see this job and this field as a self-employment field. When you are self-employed, you can set your own wage. Of course, before you become self-employed, you need to market yourself, set up your own business, think of a business plan, and you need to have people recommend you. Finding a client base that will pay your desired wage is a matter of digging, searching, networking, and providing exception lessons for students. :cool:

I have met a man who teaches Korean students and he makes around $300/hr. He doesn't teach one or two students at that rate, he's has his own business and he charges each student a fee, teaches them in a large group of 50 students, and therefore, makes the big money. I don't see how that would be possible for me to do every day. I prefer to establish relationships with students, to gain their trust, to see what their needs are, to meet those needs. Nevertheless, he has gained the trust of parents and he provides the quality service that those parents desire. During the week, I do tutor one Korean student who is studying to pass her GRE and she tells me stories of how learning English is Korea is very essential for students. In fact, some parents pay up to $1200/month to enroll their child in an English Only Kindergarten. She tells me that having your child learn English is very fashionable and expected in her culture.

You may be able to find work teaching at a university but most universities here in the US require a Doctorate Degree. The pay for university professors varies. What I have seen starts around $45,000.

Look at your own financial needs, look at your life goals, find the amount of money that you need to live on and go from there. Network with others on this forum too, because we do share contacts and information.

Thank you very much! Do Universities hire teachers to teach ONLINE classes? Do you know?

Edit: When I say online classes, I mean classes in which Professors/Teachers give lectures and teach as if in a real classroom?

freelancewriter
10-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi! I think that many of the tutors in this forum know that the colleges hire online instructors, but those jobs can be difficult to get. If you read some of the older posts on this forum, you'll see that we mention some university jobs sometimes.

Look at some of the job boards, you can try CareerBuilder.com, and search for "adjunct online professors" or simply "online professors". Read the qualifications that they want, and you will find that many of the positions require prior university teaching experience. So, you often need to have several months of experience to teach with an online university in addition to a master's.

It's important that you have a master's in the subject area that you wish to teach. If you want to teach history, you should have a master's in history. If you want to teach English, the master's should be in English. Some subjects have more openings than others.

What about the pay? I read an article the other day, stating that the pay for online adjunct professors is lower than the pay for in-person adjunct professors. I think that online professors have a lot of paperwork and other responsibilities. You can expect to create the course syllabus, grade research papers, administer exams, and hold chat sessions with the students. Of course, you have to read the textbook before your students. I have a master's degree, but I question the pay and the workload. Right now, I'd rather tutor online.

MartezJ
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi! I think that many of the tutors in this forum know that the colleges hire online instructors, but those jobs can be difficult to get. If you read some of the older posts on this forum, you'll see that we mention some university jobs sometimes.

Look at some of the job boards, you can try CareerBuilder.com, and search for "adjunct online professors" or simply "online professors". Read the qualifications that they want, and you will find that many of the positions require prior university teaching experience. So, you often need to have several months of experience to teach with an online university in addition to a master's.

It's important that you have a master's in the subject area that you wish to teach. If you want to teach history, you should have a master's in history. If you want to teach English, the master's should be in English. Some subjects have more openings than others.

What about the pay? I read an article the other day, stating that the pay for online adjunct professors is lower than the pay for in-person adjunct professors. I think that online professors have a lot of paperwork and other responsibilities. You can expect to create the course syllabus, grade research papers, administer exams, and hold chat sessions with the students. Of course, you have to read the textbook before your students. I have a master's degree, but I question the pay and the workload. Right now, I'd rather tutor online.

Thank you for the information, you are the best! Still, I just am scared, is online tutoring lucrative enough to survive on alone? Even during the summer time? Does it always pay $11.00 an hour?

freelancewriter
10-07-2012, 09:37 PM
No. The jobs do not always pay $11 an hour. Check some of the tutoring job boards for the rates. The previous (helpful) poster suggested esljobsworld.com. You can also try to get your own private students to tutor and charge your own rate. It will take time to build up a good number of students, if you choose that route. As far as the summer is concerned, some of the schools are not in the U.S. and they have a short summer break and a longer winter break. Of course, adult students might need help year-round. It is a good idea to have some other work that you can do as a back-up plan. Some people grade tests, for example.

calvindiaz214
10-07-2012, 09:58 PM
If I may share my limited experiences here . . .

I don't make a living teaching online just yet. I do make between $300-$600 a month right now and am gaining valuable experience. Thankfully, my husband's job generates our living expenses right now although there is not much wiggle room in our budget. :D

Daily, I search these terms to find out about different companies where I can teach English as a Second Language online:
online English teaching
working online as an English teacher
jobs in _____________(insert country) teaching online

I keep modifying my key words to find more resources. So far, the best resources have been Dave's ESL Cafe and ESL World to find out places that are hiring.

I have two interviews next week for one language school based here in the US and another based in Russia.

My advice is to keep digging. I haven't found the magical master list of online teaching jobs so I go to site after site (not too efficient, I know!) As I venture from site to site, I gather general information that I find will help me. For example, almost all the ELL teaching sites require a Bachelor's Degree.

I do know there are plenty of online jobs where you would teach a whole group of students all day long but right now, that is not where I want to be. I want to tutor for a while, mainly due to my health issues.

Any more questions, please ask. I'm not formally recording my thoughts about this process in a blog but have considered doing that. I like to share information and perhaps something I have learned by trial and error may help the next person along.

Wow that's cool. Nice information on online tutors. I can't believe people are earning $300 to $600 per month. I have seen many companies that tell you can earn money but most of them I found is useless.

MartezJ
10-08-2012, 06:23 AM
No. The jobs do not always pay $11 an hour. Check some of the tutoring job boards for the rates. The previous (helpful) poster suggested esljobsworld.com. You can also try to get your own private students to tutor and charge your own rate. It will take time to build up a good number of students, if you choose that route. As far as the summer is concerned, some of the schools are not in the U.S. and they have a short summer break and a longer winter break. Of course, adult students might need help year-round. It is a good idea to have some other work that you can do as a back-up plan. Some people grade tests, for example.

When you say grade test what exactly do you mean? Grade test online?

nehasingh
10-08-2012, 07:17 AM
$10 to $12 is less or more depending on your country currently, If you live in Asia, I think it's satisfactory amount, if you take 5 hours of class each days, you can make a enough. But if you are in USA or Canada. Well, i don't have idea. Please someone share some light in my view.

MartezJ
10-08-2012, 10:20 AM
$10 to $12 is less or more depending on your country currently, If you live in Asia, I think it's satisfactory amount, if you take 5 hours of class each days, you can make a enough. But if you are in USA or Canada. Well, i don't have idea. Please someone share some light in my view.

What about Universities classes. Are there online classes that lecture entire groups of students?

djunamod
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
So what about teachers with Master's degrees? What do they get paid? Are the jobs plentiful?

I actually have a Master's degree, not just a Bachelor's degree and the pay is pretty much the same. However, I don't yet have a TESL certificate (I'm working on that now). So it could be that a TESL certificate plus a Master's will earn me a bit more money.

The jobs for Master's graduates in this field are, I don't think, more than someone with a Bachelor's, since it seems that teaching experience and/or ESL experience/certification is more important. At least, that's what I've found so far.

Djuna

djunamod
10-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Are the jobs plentiful?

It seems like you're asking the same question over and over again. Honestly, no one can guarantee you a job, even if there are plenty of jobs (which there aren't, in any field, sadly enough). So no one here can really guarantee you that there are plenty of jobs or that, even if there are, you will be employed. You just have to start sending out resumes and applying to jobs as we all do and see what happens :D.

Djuna

djunamod
10-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Excellent advice, mankato girl. Also, just to add, finding a full-time online teaching job for a university is nearly impossible. Most universities (both online for-profits and the more traditional state/nonprofit colleges offering online courses and hiring teachers) will provide contract-only work. That means that there is absolutely no guarantee of work. You might get contracted to teach a class or two and you might not - there is no real steady work with it. This is why many online college teachers are doing other things, both online and on-ground, or have many colleges that they teach for at the same time. You never know whether you'll get a course to teach and once it ends, there is no guarantee that you will get another.

That's the nature of the beast when it comes to online teaching and tutoring - you have to be open to having work that is not going to be steady. I personally prefer to see this as a positive, since it gives me a lot of flexibility and wiggle room to take classes when I can and teach as much as I can. But if you're the kind of person who needs to know they are going to teach X amount of classes per semester or have classes waiting for them to start once the current classes are finished, then online teaching might not be something you'll want to do.

Djuna

OnlineInf0
11-24-2012, 01:00 PM
There are so many things you can teach online.

I've been an online teacher for many years...I do teach mostly internet marketing, product creation, websites building and things like that...

but the earning potential is unlimited if you do this right.

You just need to find something YOU know...and have a passion to help others.

Hope that helps...although I know it's a bit of a broad answer and I don't have any college education.

I am self taught...but I have a passion to help others...

That is why I am here...

I hope you find something you can teach.

Burt

I am wondering how long have any of you been online teachers and how does it pay for you? Is it required that you graduate from a four year university? I am just curious. :D