WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Advertising and Deals

brookied18
09-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Hi all I am new to Scentsy so I am curious how you advertise your open houses. I just moved to Hawaii so I know maybe a total of 3 people here but I was hoping to have an open house anyways. Would you guys set up signs like a yard sale, that seems tacky to me but maybe it really works? I live on a military base so I can't really think of anything other then maybe passing flyers at the grocery store and hoping the few friends I know will pass the word on. Any advice on advertising to strangers would be awesome.

Another thing I noticed is that I'll see consultants having "deals" like free stuff or discounts. How does this work? Does it come out of their pocket?

mommy2005
09-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Hello There!

First of all, welcome to the Scentsy family. I know it can be hard when you are just getting started. But, having access to the ladies on base is great!

I always try to give out a business card with people I interact with during the day. You can leave them with a cashier or waitress when you pay the check. Some restaurants have a bulletin board where you can pin business cards on them.

A yard sale could maybe work, if you put signs in good places and hand out flyers. I've never tried it, but good idea.

I also use facebook to advertise my parties and try to get online orders that way. You can set up an event and send it to friends far away.

Just a couple of ideas! I hope it helps! Good luck!

LAscents
09-29-2012, 10:27 AM
If you offer any personal specials it has to be done privately or one on one. You cannot advertise them publicly. I would caution you to use care if you are going to do that though. It does come out of your pocket if you choose to create a personal special; it can also send a message that our great host reward program isn't that great so you have to entice with additional specials (which are not necessary); and if someone is considering joining you don't want to send the message that they will need to pay for additional perks out of their own commission. You can never offer any enticements in recruiting efforts. That is strictly prohibited. Their joining your team needs to be an entirely stand alone transaction with no promise or mention of any monetary, product or other gain. If anyone offers you xyz to join their team I would run the other way - either because they haven't read and understood our policies or they choose to ignore them - either way, not someone you would want to enter into a business partnership with.

With regard to an Open House - I would never enter a stranger's home nor would I want strangers in my home. The only way I would consider that is if you held it outside in the yard or garage. Then I would just promote it as one would a garage sale.

christyvw2004
09-29-2012, 12:51 PM
If you have a vehicle to put it on I would do that. Also if the base has a place where you could "host" a Open House I would go for that.
Keep us up to date on how it goes for you. Myself I was fortunate to have a relative host my first OH and the rest was history.
Good luck.. This time of the year is great for us...maybe offer some kind of "christmas" special.

NYScents
10-01-2012, 06:19 AM
If you offer any personal specials it has to be done privately or one on one. You cannot advertise them publicly. I would caution you to use care if you are going to do that though. It does come out of your pocket if you choose to create a personal special; it can also send a message that our great host reward program isn't that great so you have to entice with additional specials (which are not necessary); and if someone is considering joining you don't want to send the message that they will need to pay for additional perks out of their own commission. You can never offer any enticements in recruiting efforts. That is strictly prohibited. Their joining your team needs to be an entirely stand alone transaction with no promise or mention of any monetary, product or other gain. If anyone offers you xyz to join their team I would run the other way - either because they haven't read and understood our policies or they choose to ignore them - either way, not someone you would want to enter into a business partnership with.

With regard to an Open House - I would never enter a stranger's home nor would I want strangers in my home. The only way I would consider that is if you held it outside in the yard or garage. Then I would just promote it as one would a garage sale.
Great advice!!:)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1