WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : doing parties from online only

mom2twinzes
08-22-2012, 09:05 AM
I am a stay at home mom looking to add income to the home. and a military wife who does not live near a base. I live in a town where i know no one and am really shy. im looking to find something where i don't have to do parties. when i get in front of people to speak i freeze i have social anxiety. I like tupperware, pampered chef, and thirty one and cloud 9 and simply fun. can i do any of those solely online and do like Facebook parties,twitter, or anything like that and when i get more comfortable with the program and product then start adding home parties?

BeckiBChocolatier
08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Although I've never done any of those specifically, direct sales party plan businesses are really intended to be promoted through live parties. I did Partylite candles for more than 10 years, and have now been doing Dove Chocolate Discoveries for four years. Neither of these would have made me consistent, significant income and continued to grow if I hadn't had in-person interactions with the majority of my hostesses and guests.

Not good news, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who has been successful with a direct sales party plan business only online.

starbirdy66
08-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Some of these items just really have to be sold in person. People do shop for them online if they don't have a rep though.

I think of the ones you mentioned, Simply Fun would be perfect because people are always buying gifts and fun things for kids. It would be a year round seller and not many people know the products. Keywords would be easy for child, kids, toys, games etc. related words and phrases.

I'm working on trying to sell my items online right now as that is what I'll have the most time for with three kids and a husband that travels a lot.

ilovemyjewelry
08-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Mom2twinz, I'm a consultant for a few companies that you can do solely online. I'm a consultant for Tupperware which I do personally primarily online, I'm also a consultant for Usborne Books and More that can be done primarly online. I am also a consultant for Rocky and Bella pet supplements that is sold strictly online or to vet clinics and Do You Bake which is free to sign up with right now and can be done primarily online. If any of these interest you you can pm on here and I can send you my websites or you can email me and I can forward you some more information about the kits and stuff like that. I look forward to hearing from you! :)

starbirdy66
08-23-2012, 05:40 AM
Stacey,

Do you use the company websites or your own? I wonder if any of the companies have stipulations about doing them on your own site if sold with another product. I was thinking of a second company for the future.

ilovemyjewelry
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
I use the company provided websites. With Usborne books you are allowed to their website and your own personal website, I'm not really sure about the others though. As long as I'm not selling for 2 jewelry companies or 2 pet product companies things are good....lol. Also I can't sell for like Usborne Books and Simple Fun because they are very similar in the products that they sell.

Stephanie Ann
08-26-2012, 05:32 AM
I used to do Tupperware on line, but it can be tough going some months. I know my Scentsy consultant runs a strictly on-line/take orders business and has never held a party. I know several of the candle ladies on this board are strictly on-line sellers as well.

nv93446
08-26-2012, 07:47 AM
That is me too, almost 100% online but we don't have monthly sales volumes to hit, and team building is so low that you can easily promote online without doing parties which makes it a perk when you do have parties booked but not pressured to hustle to get one booked :).

Mrs. Green Jeans
08-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind that customers who love your products may probably want the opportunity to earn freebies and half price goodies by hosting a party at some point with your new business. Parties really can be a lot of fun and it is nice to be able to share products in person, so that people can see, smell, and try everything. There is nothing that can replace a personal connection and an interactive experience with the product line. If you get nervous in front of people, start with a small group (even 2 people) and build from there as your confidence grows :)

SuzeeQue
08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I am only doing Facebook parties right now, and I love it! I have and a really hard time getting live shows and I have found that my hostesses love the option of an online party. Pampered Chef has really stepped up this kind of party and is offering us lots of support and training in holding successful FB parties.

LynnAndreske
09-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I work my Tastefully Simple business primarily online and with Take it To WORK snack parties.
I am in an area that is not big on home parties, and I do not particularily want to be out doing them either.
Since I do food, I get many repeat clients, and I teach the team I have built to use FB and other social media to work to their advantage.
With good host coaching, or smart posting this can be done very efficiently and very well.
My followers on Pintrest, and FB love my recipes/pix and order often based on what I share =)

EstherL
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I agree with the others that it would be tough to build your business solely based on online parties. I did party plan for 3 years, and it was really most effective when you had product right there available for people see, touch, and try out. I don't know how much money you are looking to earn, but if you want to make $500 or more per month, I think you really need to look at your options seriously and consider a few things.

One thing to consider is this - earning money from home is hard work, and sometimes it requires change. I am naturally very shy, and in high school if I had to speak in public, I would literally be shaking. Gradually, over time, I have gotten better and better because I have FORCED myself to do it! After 3 years of doing party plan, I had no problem getting up in front of 5-10 people and presenting. Now, in my current business, I typically do things by phone or 1:1 as I'm not in party plan anymore, but it's still talking to people. I am now the president of a local women's networking organization where I speak in front of 20-35 women every week. It's a lot of fun, but it took time and practice to get to this point. So, my point is this - are you willing to change? Are you willing to stretch yourself to reach your goals? Perhaps you could start with small groups of just 2-3 people, and then work your way up?

If you're not willing to talk to people or make the changes, then I think you may want to look at other options for income. Almost all home businesses are relationship based. And face-to-face interaction is most effective. Second most effective is phone. Third is internet. Think about how many times you get an invite by email or facebook. How easy it is to just ignore that or not RSVP? But if someone CALLS you and invites you, or it's a friend who is having a party at her house - and she specifically calls to invite you to attend - aren't you much more likely to say yes? Or at least to consider it?

These are just thoughts for you to consider. Best of luck with making your decision!

sjjohnson
10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I ONLY do online events. I think that it really depends on the products. There are some that you just have to see in person, but others are an easy sell online. Facebook events has been a great tool for me. It's easy and if like you say, you are shy, then it in my opinion, is a great option. If you are going to do it look for companies that provide products that don't need to be touched or tasted before purchasing. They are out there. I'm with one, and love it. Good luck to you. You can certainly PM if you would like some information on the company that I am with :)

~Sara

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1