WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Live Person Fifty Dollar Fee

Carrie Duvall
08-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I recently went on Live Person and started filling out the form for readings. I liked them since they had several areas to specialize in. Having been through much with a haunted home, I really wanted to help people in this area. So Live Person was very appealing to me. Once I got through the first part of the application of personal information. I could go no further unless I paid the $50.00 back ground check fee:eek:. I had not signed up, done a test reading or been offered a position. I don't mind a back ground check once I know I have the job, but I am not going to pay a fee when all they have is my name and address. Does anyone work for them? Is the fee up front worth it?

Thanks

DougC
08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Asking someone to pay for their background check speaks volumes about the company. It says GREED. Background checks don't cost $50 to begin with. If they do one I'll bet they won't show you the information they found on you either. It is wrong to charge someone a fee to work, just plain wrong. If they start out with questionable practices, how can anyone trust them on-going?

Just my 2 cents.

maryalene
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree with Doug. Our local PD will run a background check for $15. Charging $50 sounds like a money grab.

newwavegraphics
08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I say that myself when I went to sign up. I use to do readings for them years ago when they were Kasamba. I decided to try them again only to see their fee. No one am I going to pay them that. I also think its greed.

OOnaOwl
08-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't believe it is based on greed. I believe they implemented this fee in response to the overwhelming increase in new experts in the Spirituality section when the economy went south. Rather than continue to get too many new advisors, at first the shut down the section and allowed no new applicants for a long time-at least a year or two-then reopened the section but with a fifty dollar fee. Doesn't seem like the best solution to their dilemma, at least from an applicant's perspective.
I paid the fee and made the money back within a few readings.

DougC
08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
The point is... It does NOT cost $50 to do a background check. What would you call it when a company marks up the cost of a bacjkground check by 100% ? Most sane, rational people would call that GREED! Yes I know exactly what a background check costs, I am a psychic site owner.

OOnaOwl
08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
The point is... It does NOT cost $50 to do a background check. What would you call it when a company marks up the cost of a bacjkground check by 100% ? Most sane, rational people would call that GREED! Yes I know exactly what a background check costs, I am a psychic site owner.

Are you calling me insane & irrational? Lol! :)

David James
08-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I have just tried to apply to join your company and the website doesn't seem to be working would you be able to assist me in this.

TheMysticCafe
08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
I have just tried to apply to join your company and the website doesn't seem to be working would you be able to assist me in this.

same here never get anything back about

ehstemai
09-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with LivePerson. I used to read for them back in the day, but they just have SO MANY people in the S&R category now that it's just impossible to get noticed. Frankly, I got tired of logging on for 12+ hours and never getting a call. Plus, I didn't like the way they treated their experts. Someone would commit a violation of some obscure policy they didn't even know about and get "fined" - I've seen fines in excess of $1,000! Frankly, if I want to work somewhere that charges me a house fee and fines, I'll go be a stripper and at least make more money! ;)

elana242
09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I have just tried to apply to join your company and the website doesn't seem to be working would you be able to assist me in this. Which company? If it Psychic Access, me too.

DougC
09-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Elana,

Please try again. We did have a minor issue for a couple of days but it has been fixed.

SpiritualWAHM
09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I agree!!! $50 is a joke!!!! If they weren't out for money, they would charge the exact amount that they pay for the background check. That should say a lot about a company. :p

Shannon

Springing
09-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Liveperson spent 2 years weeding out inactive accounts. There were thousands filling up the pages. The spiritual catagory was closed for those 2 years while the purge took place. They should have kept it closed. Instead they now require a 50.00 sign on fee to help encourage those that are serious about working there to sign on and work. The 50.00 is easily made bk if you are serious about working there. Nothing more or less, thats what its about.

As far as I know they dont do background checks.

DougC
09-25-2012, 11:57 AM
You should NEVER have to pay any kind of fee to work someplace. It is wrong on all levels and is just pure corporate greed. They would do well to interview and test their readers before posting them on the site. You'd better believe they do background checks on anyone giving medical or legal advice; to not do so would be unthinkable.

Springing
09-25-2012, 03:22 PM
I am not here to argue about it, people want to know why and I am telling ya. I dont give legal or medical and those that do don't give tarot readings. So, if they are doing background checks good! Oh and for the record, the only ones paying the 50.00 fee are those applying to spiritual. Again, to weed out those serious from the not so serious to those who look to make a quick buck based on thinking they can fake it. I make a good living at LP and I've worked damn hard to do so. I dont buy into their greed or corporation, I go there and do my work.

cristina
09-30-2012, 09:20 AM
You should NEVER have to pay any kind of fee to work someplace. It is wrong on all levels and is just pure corporate greed. They would do well to interview and test their readers before posting them on the site. You'd better believe they do background checks on anyone giving medical or legal advice; to not do so would be unthinkable.

I have been with LP since it was Kasamba so I'm 'grandfathered' in....but honestly I totally agree with what Doug is saying here...NEVER EVER EVER pay to be listed on a site, NEVER. ..and they don't do a background check it's a crock of BS...

TheMysticCafe
03-31-2014, 08:09 PM
They have also made excuses when they cut your account off saying it was inactive then demanding payment

Lillith
04-05-2014, 12:32 PM
I was actually caught up during the transition phase with LP when they started charging that irrational fee. At the time, they called it a "registration fee." I was with them back when they were still called Kasamba and then continued on a part time basis with them once they became Live Person. I do admit that I had not logged into work in a few weeks but I had done that in the past and it was never a problem when I was ready to log back in once more. I always had clients and made however much money I needed at that point in time. So imagine my surprise when I was ready to add more categories and I found that I could not work LOL

At first, I emailed their support people and was told that my new categories were rejected due to my "inactivity" and that they hoped to re-open the categories soon. To begin with, it was a month, then it was "we don't know." As it turned out, they waited until they got their nifty little fee policy in place before telling me that I could work again as long as I paid that $50 fee.

I was outraged and then just found it rather funny and ultimately sad. I am never paying to work for someone. They are supposed to be paying me. I emailed them back and told them they were now operating on a scam basis and that I wanted to delete my account and collect the money owed to me.

To their credit, I did get the money they owed me without any difficulty. But that fee thing really does make them scammy. I'm not criticizing anyone that feels it is ok to pay for a job. That is not my business and I think it's great if you can really feel fine about paying it as long as you can make it back in no time. I just could not and still cannot justify that.

So now they're calling it a $50 charge for a background check. LOLOL Good work, LP! Yeah, that makes you look so much more legitimate!

DJ716
04-19-2014, 03:00 PM
I am not trying to be contrary, but $50 is a standard fee for background checks. I've had to pay as much as $75 for a background check when leasing an apartment, but most have charged $50.

I do agree that this should be asked from you only after you've been assured that you have a position and not as part of the application process.

Overall, Live Person has a solid reputation there are many reputable corporations that maintain accounts with them. I would not let this be a deal breaker, I think it will open the door for you to reach a lot of people.

DougC
04-19-2014, 04:48 PM
DJ716,

It does not cost $50 for a background check, trust me I know as I am a psychic site owner and oder them myself. It is a part and cost of doing business. It also costs me money to have a professional write the profiles of our psychics but again, that is the cost of doing business. What they are doing is a pure money grab by a very selfish organization. I am not afraid to say it either.

No one should ever have to pay a dime for anything to gain employment. It is wrong on so many levels.

DougC

DJ716
04-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Doug,

I fully respect what you're saying. However, as I understand, LP is not technically 'employing' the individual as you would on your site. LP is, as I understand, also providing a service to each of the individual psychics and charging 'rent' for the web space (and advertising) in the form of some agreed upon portion of income. So I doubt that the individual would be completing a W2 as part of the 'sign up' process and thus, I do not see a problem with their shifting the costs to the applicant. In my opinion (based on experience with contracts for leasing space) $50 is a reasonably standard fee for background checks.

If this were an employer asking an applicant to take the burden of recruitment costs, then, no, it would not be reasonable to ask.

Does that clarify my position?

DougC
04-20-2014, 04:55 PM
The psychics on my site are contractors as well. The company makes more than enough off the psychics as it is without taking an extra$50. I know this business inside and out. Believe what you will, I know I can not change your mind. I feel sorry for those with such low self-esteem that they would pay money to work someplace. This is my last word on this subject.

DJ716
04-20-2014, 08:14 PM
I have nothing but respect for your position and experience. Please do not misunderstand me. I was pointing out that Live Person isn't "in the business" they offer a venue for people to offer this business. it is as if they are leasing space for someone to offer psychic readings.. they don't employ psychic readers. This is an important distinction. it would be the same as if a flea market venue leased out a booth to a psychic reader to conduct their business only this is an on line venue. I just think it's important to consider this so we are not promoting negative representation without knowing the full picture.

DougC
04-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Maybe you were not aware that Live Person spun all the psychics off to Kasamba.com, where they were originally. There are only psychics there now so it is not leased space as they only hire psychics. And yes, at last view, they still charge the $50 fee to work there.

Mystics
04-22-2014, 03:29 AM
They charge $50 because they can. There are thousands of Psychics on that site, and that way they don't get so many applicants. Trims the wood from the trees I guess.

DJ716
04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Doug,

no I was not aware of that. My experience with live person is that they offer individuals a place to sell their expertise... namely IT/Technical related expertise. So I didn't even think of them as a psychic reader employer. So given what you've just said I completely agree with you that it is inappropriate to charge the $50 fee.

And yes, they 'can' charge whatever they want. There are no rules, but there are many other sites that do not charge.

I looked at psychic access after seeing Doug's posts and it seems they conduct quite a thorough background and interview process which I would imagine is not cheap, but they do not charge the applicant a fee. I suppose that this is recovered by assuring high quality of readers.

I want to make sure that it's clear I was not 'arguing' or attempting anything negative. I genuinely understood Live Person to be a much different service, and so on the contrary I was trying to divert what I thought to be undue negative comments about LP.

cristina
04-29-2014, 09:52 AM
I've been a reader on Kasamba since 2003 (later LivePerson) recently back to Kasamba.
They charge the $50 to limit the number of readers on the site...at any given time there are like 1900-2000 readers logged into Kasamba, some make a living, some make extra money.

I never paid the $50 to begin with because I signed up WAY before Liveperson bought Kasamba so I'm grandfathered in...you get a decent caliber of client there, but I would NEVER pay to work on a site. no matter what...if I were to sign up today, I would definitely run, I don't believe I should pay, or that anyone else should!

they are now charging 60% commissions to readers there, another reason I don't recommend the site anymore. That is just too much! And every month I make less and less there :(

DougC
05-18-2014, 05:08 AM
DJ716

We will all pray for you, pray that God will show you the light and the way to understanding goodwill when it's offered to you.

Peace be with you...

DavidJamespsychicWisdom
06-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Doug are you hiring again?

DougC
06-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Yes David, we are hiring.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1